Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Airplane Toilets

I just read a review of a transPacific flight of 10 or 12 hours on a 747.  Toward the end of the trip they turned up the lights to serve "breakfast", waking up a number of sleeping passengers.  There were 333 passengers in Economy, and apparently quite a few of them needed to use the toilet upon awakening, but there were only 5 or 6 toilets total in the two Economy sections.  The reviewer mentioned he had to stand in line for 20 minutes.  

On shorter flights, many of the passengers don't use the plane's toilets at all, and most often their use is spread out over time, so the wait usually isn't that long.  But in some situations like the one mentioned above, or when there is turbulence and the seatbelt sign has been on for hours, there might be many passengers needing to go at the same time.  Toilets don't bring in revenue, so planes have the absolute minimum required.  I notice that Business Class and First Class sections have more toilets for smaller numbers of passengers.

There have been several "desperate on a plane" threads here, but I was surprised to see the subject raised in a non-omo, factual report.  Are there other non-omo reports or discussions about airplane toilets?

Edited by Spectator9 (see edit history)

I remember reading an article about how plane manufacturers were really starting to put the squeeze on bathrooms so as to fit more seats.  It's not exactly surprising, but it definitely is interesting.  I mean, even if the number of passengers wasn't a problem... imagine being truly claustrophobic, really needing to go, and having to squeeze into a two-foot-wide (.6 meter-wide) bathroom!  I'm not claustrophobic, but if it compares at all to my fear of eight-legged devil-spawn, I'd be pretty well screwed!  🤣

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/living/travel/could-you-fit-in-this-airplane-bathroom-20181121.html

Seat belt sign staying on for hours is something that really worries me when flying. I just can't hold it that long, no matter what. It would be so embarrassing to wet myself on a plane and have to stay in wet pants there for hours, everyone looking at me with pity or disgust. I guess, for flights longer than 2 hours I would put diapers on, despite I hate to wear them in public.

5 hours ago, CarmenCD said:

Seat belt sign staying on for hours is something that really worries me when flying. I just can't hold it that long, no matter what. It would be so embarrassing to wet myself on a plane and have to stay in wet pants there for hours, everyone looking at me with pity or disgust. I guess, for flights longer than 2 hours I would put diapers on, despite I hate to wear them in public.

Have you ever thought about wearing poise pads or incontinence panties? (I think that's what they're called)

My wife and I always wear nappies when we go on a plane.  For me, it is a necessary precaution, since I am quite likely to wet myself if I fall asleep.  For Debbie, it is more a matter of convenience, saving the necessity to wait in line (there always seems to be queues for the toilets on planes).  Needlest to say, we are both usually wet by the time we land!