Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Homemade Diapers using Towels

Hello!

Buying diapers really isn’t an option for me. One day I’ll look into getting some cloth diapers but for now my best option is using towels. 

Has anyone got any ideas for diapers you could make using towels that absorb enough for one full wetting? I’m looking for a way I can wear it in public with a skirt and some bike shorts. 

So far, my best creation is to layer lots of hand and face towels into my underwear, tucking them in and layering as appropriate, but my only solution for plastic pants to catch the remaining liquid are garbage bags. These make a lot of noise + seen as the towels don’t quite absorb a full bladder, when pressure is applied the liquid spills out of the bags. 

I’ve also tried folding normal towels like flat diapers but they’re too think around the butt and I can’t get them to stay in place.

Anyone have any ideas?

6 hours ago, Bluesman59 said:

I’ve tried to make towel diapers before, but to no avail.  Similar issues to to the ones you’re having, except I could never find ones that would either stay in place or soak up enough to make them worth using over just normal clothes.  

So sad! If I find a solution, I'll let you know!

2 hours ago, Padded_girl said:

What about building a diaper out of period pads? then cover all with plastic, just like a diaper?

It would work, but I feel it would be kind of wasteful. That's also why I'd lean to cloth diapers in most cases. If I really want a diaper though, I'd consider it. 

I've tried making my own set of towel diapers for makeshift diapers once before some time ago, and I haven't figured out the best way either. The way I see it is that the size of the towel isn't the best fit to a person's bottom--at least to a comfortable fit. So I once tried trimming the towels from an older set of towels that wouldn't have been missed. I also constructed from the towel the shape of a diaper cover and even sewed buttons onto it using my measurements to have it get a snug fit. The main problem I had with this is it wasn't very absorbent even from packing on layers. Though of course, you need a water-resistant layer to prevent it from leaking out. Garbage bags were typically the common things to have around I'd fit between the absorbing layers and the cover. But it would have issues leaking from the sides.

That's about as far as I got before trying better, not to mention, real disposable diapers. Though I've gotten into real cloth diapers now and I like them over most of the disposables I've tried.

But this made me rethink of all the old times I kept trying to makeshift diapers for years before finally trying a disposable.

On 10/9/2019 at 4:23 AM, waterrat said:

How about latex tights with cotton leggings under them? Maybe not cheap but it should work .

I’ve used this kind of technique over bad disposables before. It doesn’t really contain the leaks but it does hide them very well. Carry around a bottle of perfume and know one will know 😏

On 10/11/2019 at 10:07 PM, Clark said:

What works is using adhesive tape around your legs as leg guards. Youll need to pretty much tape the bag edges to your legs, but it will unstick soon and create a perfect fit.

Interesting 🧐 that might be an idea to experiment with, but unfortunately I don’t think it’s a particularly easy technique to execute during a busy college term.

On 10/13/2019 at 4:12 PM, DaveGAZ said:

I've found that those big puppy training pads work well as a makeshift diaper/pad. 

I’m sure they do!!! This is just a whole new reason why I want a dog. (The list is extensive!) 

On 10/15/2019 at 2:46 PM, Takumi41 said:

I've tried making my own set of towel diapers for makeshift diapers once before some time ago, and I haven't figured out the best way either. The way I see it is that the size of the towel isn't the best fit to a person's bottom--at least to a comfortable fit. So I once tried trimming the towels from an older set of towels that wouldn't have been missed. I also constructed from the towel the shape of a diaper cover and even sewed buttons onto it using my measurements to have it get a snug fit. The main problem I had with this is it wasn't very absorbent even from packing on layers. Though of course, you need a water-resistant layer to prevent it from leaking out. Garbage bags were typically the common things to have around I'd fit between the absorbing layers and the cover. But it would have issues leaking from the sides.

That's about as far as I got before trying better, not to mention, real disposable diapers. Though I've gotten into real cloth diapers now and I like them over most of the disposables I've tried.

But this made me rethink of all the old times I kept trying to makeshift diapers for years before finally trying a disposable.

Wow! You really went to some lengths! I tend to agree with you about the shape thing. I always end up with heaps of extra room around my back and then they tend to fall down. I think I might look into sewing a proper cloth diaper using some patterns online. I’m just not sure how to go about getting a cheap water proof material. 

I’m also not too sure my parents would be happy with me cutting up all their old towels 😂😅

thanks for all the responses everyone! 😊

Yeah, it would probably be for the better to try and keep it a secret. You can go about it however you want, but how I'd go about it is to take some towels and just keep them on hold to see if they are missed and remain patient. During this time I'd think about what time's during the day would be the best that the craft could be made in secret. Strictly following that time schedule I would make the craft. If it goes over the time duration, I'd put it on hold. Better safe than sorry after all.

Of course, I'm fairly meticulous about projects that I keep a secret, so you can go about it however you have it planned. From what it sounds, you have a decent plan going forth. So I hope you the best of luck for successfully constructing a homemade cloth diaper! Even if it takes time, it'll definitely be worth it in the end!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Closed_Account

I think the amount of towel needed to successfully absorb a full bladderful from an adult would get unreasonable, but have you considered doing this in the bath/shower? That way you don't have to worry if the towel isn't enough.

This is only tangentially related to the idea of using towels AS a diaper, but one habit I've developed is wearing a folded towel OVER a disposable diaper, to improve bulk and thus comfort. But the best technique I've found is to lay down a soft blanket (preferably one that can be easily washed, in case of leaks), bunch it up at one end, and sit in the bunched-up section. Then, pull it up between your legs over whatever you're using as a diaper, and hold it in place using a belt, pajama pants, or a similar tool. That will dramatically exaggerate the feeling of bulk and comfort.

• 2 weeks later...