My life is a mess and I'm ready to give up

Question

So for the past year, I've been struggling to find any sort of work, i may get to the interview stage only to have my time wasted, I've also been having some...relationship issues, now i just feel like giving up i can't get anything right, no employer wants to hire me and i fear I'm never going to be truly happy, i don't expect any help but......anything will do.

If i don't respond here, you can find me on discord

RedDwarfGamer98#1987

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

11 answers to this question

Ik what it feels like to feel hopeless when it comes to job hunting, for most of my life i was given a job, when i grew up and moved to California, even with my years of job experience, my college experience, no one wanted to hire me, i went to interviews thinking it all went well and got rejected a few days later, i was applying to many things for non stop months, only had a few hundred in my account and was afraid to spend any money, it took me 5 months before someone saw potential in me, it will happen, if i can do it, anyone can

when it comes to relationships, give it time, you arent on a time limit to find love, its better to keep trying til you find the one instead of giving up before you find the one

i believe in you 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, gregbegs said:

I feel everything you're saying. I've been working a dead end job for over 3 years, absolutely fucking miserable. Everyday I think of ending my shit. Just taking a sig sauer to the temple and ending it all. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing when i finish grauduate school, I'll have much better luck. Just keep applying. I know it sucks, but you need to be aggresive. Don't pull the trigger yet bruh. I know the struggle of relationship issues, I'm on an omorashi site FFS LOL. Just hang on and keep fighting. its all you can do 

Thanks my dude, i do what i can to keep fighting 😃

Hey guys, thanks so much for the kind words it puts a smile on my face knowing people care.

I've had some good news since putting this post up, i got accepted into an apprenticeship which starts next month, it's something I've never considered before but I'm happy to start something new, so at least that's one thing off the list.😁

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RagingPython said:

Don’t give up! Never give up. It’s never a good choice, or the answer. I’ve spent years of my life unsure how to continue or what to do, but eventually something good’ll happen and things’ll start to look up again.

Good luck with the apprenticeship!

I never got the apprenticeship I'm back to square 1😫

I can relate to your situation @Red Simpson. Worked in the same career field for eleven years across two employers. The first employer I made it pretty high up the ladder, then the company owner sabotaged his own company, probably as a excuse to retire, resulting in me and lots of other people very unexpectedly being "laid off". Took me six months to find another job in the field, but what was most aggravating about the situation was going to companies that advertised they were hiring that my former employer had been in good standings with to apply for openings for the same exact or very similar job positions only to be told to my face that per their company hiring standard I only qualified for janitorial. And that happened to me three times! I finally had a good interview with someone from another formerly affiliated company, and the interviewer was someone I had even done business with on behalf of my former employer numerous times, only to have him tell me, as a professional courtesy, that that company was in the process of being bought ought and the job would only last three months at best as word was their office location was getting the axe. I'm still thankful he felt compelled to tell me that, because sure enough, two months later that company was gone.

I am ashamed to say I wound up accepting a blatant "bait & switch" job offer after interviewing at the local Best Buy Geek Squad out of sheer desperation to re-establish some sort of income. If you've ever come across negative comments, news articles, or videos about Geek Squad anywhere, I can assure you they are all warranted. It was one of the worst places I have ever worked at and they practice ripping off their customers. I'm more ashamed to say I stuck it out there for a full three years just because I couldn't find anything else, and during my time there I made the proverbial managerial "s+h!t list" because I was critical of most of Best Buy's Geek Squad operational procedure policies and flat out refused to comply with about 80% of them, instead actually trying to work with my customers to resolve their issues instead of trying to convince them to buy a replacement product as Best Buy wanted us all to do. That eventually resulted in my "employee metrics" (a computer generated score card for revenue attributed to each employee as a individual) putting me second to last in the whole twenty-some people in Geek Squad at my store location, the person in dead last being a legally blind deaf man that Best Buy hired purely as a joke just to get a federal tax discount for the store as a "employer of a disabled person". To be honest, if that man knew he would've been very angry, but he was better off not knowing he was a joke to upper management. But that should tell you what sort of people run Best Buy.

Anyways, only reason they were even still giving me shifts to work was because I was the top rated in-store Geek Squad Agent by customer reviews, yay me for having standards!

But the turning point was when the Geek Squad manager departed for a job in another company, and the department supervisor, who was terrible and utterly despised me, was made the new department manager... and worse yet. A notorious self-proclaimed germaphobic, womanizing, lazy oaf was made the new department supervisor. This was a toxic combination, and right away they cut me to 10 hour work weeks in a bid to force me to leave. It worked, I filed my two week notice with te store manager, co-manager, and department manager, and even CC'd what few fellow co-workers I had who actually were good at their jobs and cared about the customers to let them know I'd had enough and was leaving. I even specified in my resignation e-mail that November 10th, 2018 was the final day I would be available to work for the company. And guess what? Store and Store Co-managers both refused my resignation, like what? My toxic department manager even, in front of other people in the Geek Squad department had the balls to say "we all know you're not leaving, this is just because you don't like me". So get this. I receive a letter in the mail the week before Christmas last year from Best Buy Corporate notifying me that I have been fired for "no call, no show" thirty consecutive scheduled work days in a row and am not eligible for rehire at Best Buy ever again. Well good riddance to you too Best Buy!

Sadly that has carried over to what few job interviews I have managed this year (2019) resulting in the question of "And why were you fired from Best Buy?", as of course Best Buy is reporting out to HR departments where I apply at that I was fired for no call no show and a poorly performing employee. For the record in the slightly over three years I worked for Best Buy, I only missed work one time as a "no call, no show" and that was because the department manager switched one of my scheduled work days with someone else's on a day I was off and then never bothered to tell me about it. So now, here I am almost fourteen months later, still jobless, completely have given up on finding a job in IT ever again as there's just nothing like that left in my area at this point. And having to shop around trying to figure out where the heck I can find myself a job that pays more than $10 hourly, and preferably isn't going to be part-time.

You know, I just read what I posted and realize it sounds terribly depressing. Okay, it is terribly depressing.

So my only income this year has been from me selling off my own stuff on Ebay. And guess what? Have just barely sold enough to keep paying the bills, though still shy the amount for car insurance that's due next month, but feeling pretty confident I'll have it on time. And then Ebay sends me a notification that because I've sold 200 or more listing in this 2019 calendar year, they've reported me to the IRS, and I should expect a 1099-K income tax form to be mailed out from PayPal next month... are you kidding me? Yeah, just keeps getting better, he's broke, let's kick him some more. Uhg!

Wish I could say I have some suggestions for you @Red Simpson, but end of the day all I can tell you is that you're not alone in the situation you're experiencing right now. And yeah, hopefully it gets better, but it's hard for me to even see that happening at this point.

Edited by OtakuSensei
Glaring typo that disrupted the flow of a sentence.
  • Upvote 1

Things seem bad now and they may for a while. I’ve hit a few slumps before too. Thing is giving up is never the answer. The important thing is about speaking and and getting the help you need. Even if just talking about your problems then it’s a step in the right direction.

• Upvote 2

If you can't seem to find a job in your field, consider something entirely different.  Look into things that interest you, and even if the starting salary is pretty small, you will make contacts that may lead to something better.  You will also meet new people, and one of them may result in the relationship you seek.  Just don't isolate yourself.

• Upvote 1

On 9/3/2019 at 10:44 AM, Red Simpson said:

So for the past year, I've been struggling to find any sort of work, i may get to the interview stage only to have my time wasted, I've also been having some...relationship issues, now i just feel like giving up i can't get anything right, no employer wants to hire me and i fear I'm never going to be truly happy, i don't expect any help but......anything will do.

If i don't respond here, you can find me on discord

RedDwarfGamer98#1987

Thank you.

Don’t give up! Never give up. It’s never a good choice, or the answer. I’ve spent years of my life unsure how to continue or what to do, but eventually something good’ll happen and things’ll start to look up again.

Good luck with the apprenticeship!

7 hours ago, Red Simpson said:

I never got the apprenticeship I'm back to square 1😫

Oof. Keep trying though! If you need work I’m sure you’ll have the qualifications to at least get something. You can do it!