Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

female Will wetting my jeans ruin them?

The peeing does less damage than the washing, I think. I’ve wet all of my jeans at some time or another and some of them have been wet very many times.  My tips are:

1. Wash immediately after wetting. Not a day later, or even an hour or two later, but straight away. 

2. It does not need an aggressive, long or hot wash to clean fresh pee. I usually use the “super quick” programme (20 minutes) on our machine, at 30C. Even a cold rinse-only programme with a dash of conditioner (no detergent) is OK for dilute fresh pee and minimises wear and fading of the fabric. 

14 hours ago, AliasnameTO said:

No it won't ruin them. Washes right out. People tend to exaggerate how bad the effects of accidents are on normal clothes.

Edit: it has a slim chance of staining whites or very light colors, but blue jeans? Nah. Wet with wild abandon. 🙂

well allright! im a gonna

If you live near a pool, and you won't be near your laundry just jump in. it'll at least rinse it out

Edited by NiagraFalls (see edit history)
1 hour ago, WetDave said:

I’m always amazed when people claim, after a wetting or messing accident, that their clothes were ruined and had to be thrown out. Have they not heard of washing?

Well, poop stains may well not come out, and if you were to have that kind of accident in public you might not want to take your underwear/clothes home to wash them. But if you wet something (other than perhaps shoes) it's nothing a quick wash won't fix!

I have been peeing in my jeans for many years, and never noticed any detrimental effect.

I always wash them ASAP , not because I am concerned about damaging them, but because stale pee smells nasty.

If you are still concerned, I recommend you become well hydrated. Drinking lots of fluids ( not just water) will significantly dilute your urine eliminating any  tiny risk  of a stain or other damage.

On 8/27/2019 at 9:09 PM, nappypants said:

Well, poop stains may well not come out, and if you were to have that kind of accident in public you might not want to take your underwear/clothes home to wash them. But if you wet something (other than perhaps shoes) it's nothing a quick wash won't fix!

I’ve pooped a few times, sometimes quite messily, but the stain has always come out in the wash. However, I do clean things promptly and use a longer, hotter wash programme. Jeans can handle this (they’re cotton) although long hot washing fades the colours quickly. 

Some of my family use to work on the development side of Hotpoint what was at one point a large UK manafacutre of washing machines they did many tests over years and years and what I will say is  peeing your cloths whatever or how often will not ruin or stain them but do remember what wears out cloths is constent washing particularly at very hot washes with the modern detergents we use today! So even if you don't pee in you jeans washing and general wear will, of course, wear them out in the end but this has nothing to do with the pee factor! I mean what is pee! Well, 95% is water! after all! I would say if you have soaked you jeans with a bladder full of pee I would first rinse them in cool running water and no detergent that will itself remove most of the pee from the fabric then just wash at a low normal temp unless clothes are really dirty I would always say wash at low temp these days modern fabrics do seem to last a lot longer doing this! And also follow the instructions on the washing powder or washing pods you are using. Don't go throwing more in thinking this will clean better it wont like I say washing machine manafucters new way back from the 1970s modern detergents and over-washing clothes in machines they were making does have a huge effect on how long cloths fabrics will last so its not the pee but just the washing and machine washing, naturally the higher the water the temp you use so has greater effect and does create more rapid fabric wear.  I peed my really expensive Nike run tights more by accident the other week in the pouring rain after a rinse in cold water a wash at low temp then air-dried outside they are ready to go again no stains no smell. Also, remember tumble drying of fabrics can also be an even bigger cause of fabric wear if you can its far better to air dry clothes naturally over a period of time say on a washing line outdoors. Just go for it and enjoy! Kev.

main-qimg-47e8a85418bac220e8defc224f78c0cc.jpg

Edited by kevy19 (see edit history)

If being peed in ruined clothes (or bedding), parents of babies would have a big problem. There’s hardly a day that something doesn’t get a little wet. 

And a secret tip for accidental (or on purpose) poop stains, again from those parenting years: hang the stained item in sunlight as it dries. It’s practically magical how well it works.

3 hours ago, nonny said:

If being peed in ruined clothes (or bedding), parents of babies would have a big problem. There’s hardly a day that something doesn’t get a little wet. 

And a secret tip for accidental (or on purpose) poop stains, again from those parenting years: hang the stained item in sunlight as it dries. It’s practically magical how well it works.

I’m not hanging my poop stained underwear outside in the sun for all the neighbours to see haha!

But you’ve got a good point about babies - when I was a baby, and later my sister, we used cloth nappies and these must have been peed and pooped literally hundreds of times, and washed out each time (by hand, we had no washing machine). 

• 3 weeks later...

I've never found staining to be a problem, even in a pair of white jeans. 

Where I did have problems however was with the integrity of the denim and, and the stitching in particular, in the crotch and the 'between the legs' area. For whatever reason I've always had an issue with blown crotches on jeans anyway, but wetting seems to exacerbate this, so they last even less time than usual. No doubt the added washing will have played a part, but I'd be wary of wetting in expensive/designer jeans on a regular basis. 

Chub rub may well have had something to do with it too, haha! 

On 8/27/2019 at 8:31 PM, WetDave said:

I’m always amazed when people claim, after a wetting or messing accident, that their clothes were ruined and had to be thrown out. Have they not heard of washing?

After wetting it's - for me - impossible to ruin your clothes. Even light coloured pants should be able to be cleaned properly.

But after a messing, especially a diarrhea it may be possible, sometimes stains are really nasty. Also, very important aspect may be that some people are so shocked/fed up with the accident, that they simply decide to throw away their clothes only after a quick look. They do not really judge the possibility of washing, judging the stains as unwashable. And also I've heard about some people do not consider washing clothes at all, they simply don't want to keep pooped clothes, especially when it was a shaming accident.