Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Omo stories: plot or no plot?

13 hours ago, call3x said:

when i read omo stories and fics on here i usually prefer a story with mostly omo content and not a lot of plot, but i also appreciate a good plot sometimes cause it can really enhance the omo parts! what do you all prefer in a story and why? (i'm writing a story now and wondering how to balance the omo and plot... i'm also just curious!)

Well I'm a sucker for love stories especially ones involving cute and shy girls

I agree that the omo can be the plot. And I think it works better when stories cover a fairly short period of time and are mainly focused on the desperation, because I think it's difficult to convey a character going from barely needing to pee to on the verge of wetting themselves and have the time elapsed feel reasonable. This is why for one-shots I like them to either start when a character already really needs to go, or introduce it and then clearly time skip to when that issue has become pressing.

I also greatly prefer stories where the characters have voices and good/funny dialogue. One-shot original characters for one-shot omo stories are tricky. It makes them seem like a sextoy if their only personality traits are "doesn't plan ahead well" "too proud to say he needs to pee in front of his mates", and I don't really find that memorable or want to go back and read it again no matter how well the desperation is described. When I wrote OC stories, the ones that I enjoyed writing and am not embarrassed to look back on are ones where the dialogue and thoughts were as fun to write as the desperation, not ones where I made up boring characters to put in a situation. I think this is also why I've preferred reading fanfiction omo in recent years, because there are a lot more fics where it feels like the writer is imagining what the character would do in this situation based on their appreciation of their personality and actions.

My ongoing project (Bethany of the Isle) is among the slowest of slow-burn, plot-heavy stories-- so much that the direct desperation and pee scenes are occasionally rare because I'm trying to serve artistic themes. I hope at least a few people are into it lol. There are only so many ways to make a basic omo fic and if you've read more than a few, the formula gets stale.

Edited by AliasnameTO (see edit history)

I personally think that both plot, and character development are just as important as omo content. 

In my stories, I try and make the reader connect with the characters, and feel something for them, be it empathy or dislike. I can only relate to my own preferences as a reader I guess, but I cannot become invested in a story if I don’t feel a connection with the characters. This requires at least some minimal part of a backstory to understand why or how they’re thinking, or acting the way they do. It gives the plot some much needed and valuable context. Without that, it’s like listening to a stranger telling you something about people you don’t know or care about. 

The hardest part I find about omo stories, is trying to keep a story fresh, and original. Let’s face it. We are working with a minimum of basic plot structure. 

Male/female. Desperation/wetting. Pants/diapers. 

Thats it! And it’s all been done before, hundreds of times. So we have to come up with a formula, based on those few vague premises, that will engage the reader and keep them interested. 

For me, the backstory needs to explain how/when/why the character(s) have ended up as they are, and it should make sense, and hopefully not be TOO formulatic. It should be realistic, believable, and relatable, but also perhaps a little bit different if possible. 

One of my pet hates, is the overuse of the term “stay hydrated.” It’s a cop out. 

“It was a hot day in gym class, so we all drank lots to stay hydrated.”

Bullshit. Let’s be honest. How many people, especially the most popular characters, kids/teens, make a conscious effort to “stay hydrated?” They drink lots because they’re thirsty! 

Also, the “Too embarrassed to say they need the bathroom” formula. Maybe it’s an Australian thing, and we’re a bit more open about stuff,  but I can’t remember anyone ever holding on past the point of no return simply because they didn’t want to say they needed a bathroom break! 

Because of the lack of viable premises, there’s only so much new stuff that can be used. So stuck in traffic, closed toilets, drinking too much, running late, doing a test, being away from toilets, etc., is always going to be popular, and believable. 

But a little bit of backstory, and some minimal but solid character development can make a mundane plot line very enjoyable. 

3 hours ago, Barry said:

One of my pet hates, is the overuse of the term “stay hydrated.” It’s a cop out. 

Agreed. I'd add that it's too clinical. It gets me thinking about health and biology to no other end but to say why a character would slam drinks. It's possible to get a need to pee with normal drinking and not mentioning hydration in such terms.

Edited by AliasnameTO (see edit history)
14 hours ago, AliasnameTO said:

Agreed. I'd add that it's too clinical. It gets me thinking about health and biology to no other end but to say why a character would slam drinks. It's possible to get a need to pee with normal drinking and not mentioning hydration in such terms.

It can be fine if it's used in dialogue, depending on who's saying it and how (best if it's a more dom-type figure trying to be cheeky about getting someone else to drink), but it definitely doesn't have much of a place in narration when used unironically.

5 hours ago, Barry said:

Also, the “Too embarrassed to say they need the bathroom” formula. Maybe it’s an Australian thing, and we’re a bit more open about stuff,  but I can’t remember anyone ever holding on past the point of no return simply because they didn’t want to say they needed a bathroom break!

I hate this too. It would take very severe anxiety and irrational thinking as an adult to hold it until you wet yourself if you had another option, and while I think there can be an interesting story about that, 95% of the time I don't think it's explained that well or treated that seriously. I usually don't finish stories like that.

It would, however, make a good premise if someone hesitated just a liiiiiittle too long before asking and missed their chance to go, that way they would have a lot longer to wait and the person they asked would know that they had to go!

Guest Masyanyalover

It depends on my mood. I usually am a one-off kind of girl when it comes to writing.

A good plot really can get me horny though. 

• 2 months later...

i like omo stories to be very long and very detailed (can be 10000 words or more). So it is much better if there is a solid background about the location, the character...  But it have to be well balanced. There should not be full paragraphs about how the politic life of the city is going, describing the whole faily tree of the heroin. The omo content (I mean desperation in the case of stories I like) should never be put aside for a long time. The background just have to be inserted whenever it is possible.

Edited by aumonier95 (see edit history)