Sign in to follow this  

Advice for writing my first story?

Question

i'm currently writing a piss themed story and want to post it here and possibly ao3, and i haven't done any creative writing for a few years (outside of school). anyone have any general writing advice? i'm especially having trouble with describing the omo parts without sounding redundant and un-sexy... (also, my story is set in the homestuck universe so if there are any homestucks here info about the standard headcanon for troll biology would be helpful too ;;; )

thanks!

• Upvote 1

2 answers to this question

Do you read a lot of omo writing (fiction or not)? I think that can be a good way to get an idea of what jumps out at you as sexy or not. (Ideally, try to spend some time reading them critically when you aren't horny. You'll likely read them more critically that way.) But ultimately, my experience is that things never feel quite as sexy to the writer as they do to the reader, because you're worrying about word choice and whatnot instead of immersed in the story. The same strategy -- reading, seeing what works for you and what doesn't -- can also apply to writing other parts of the story.

Tbh I feel like it's mostly a matter of practice makes perfect? And people are usually pretty nice about others' writing. That goes especially for a niche like omo; most people are probably just going to be excited to find omo for their fandom!

I'm not a Homestuck, but the couple of times I've stumbled upon Homestuck omo, they either had human biology or all the trolls had penises. I think you can pretty much do whatever you'd like.

Describing the bladder as its own character can be a creative way to get some variety in the desperation moments. Instead of "Erica enjoyed the view, but remembered that she needed relief soon", for example, try "Erica's appreciation of the view was interrupted by her bladder's insistent need for attention". In this way, you can create a "jealous" bladder when the character is thinking about other things, or an "angry" bladder every time the character does some sudden physical activity, for instance.