Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Vocabulary in the British Isles

Guest Omo-Omega

I see 'wee' as more childish, and would only say it if I had to be child-friendly. I normally alternate between 'pee' and 'piss', depending on who I'm with or where I am. I'm from London originally.

I alternate between pee, wee, piss, toilet, loo, bathroom and gents depending on who I'm speaking to. I see wee as more childish whereas in a formal situation like at work I'd probably say something like 'could you point me in the direction of the toilets' or 'I could do with nipping to the gents'. I've heard loads of other more inventive words though like widdle, wazz, tinkle, slash, Jimmy Riddle, Wazz Waddington, sprinkle, bogs (heard that a lot in school to refer to the toilets like 'i' m dying to go the bogs' ). I'm originally from Northern England.

On 4/14/2019 at 3:07 AM, Ollivander said:

Questions for users in Ireland and the UK:

Do you say "pee," "wee," both (interchangeably), both (depending on context), or neither? Do you consider "pee" and "wee" to be equal in terms of childishness or politeness? Where in the British Isles are you from?

Oh man, I grew up in Britain, (South East of London) and I was taught that the correct word was “wee”. But then I get onto the internet, and start meeting more people, and by the time I was 10, basically everyone was using the word “pee”. I thought I was mad and had been using the wrong word all my life! I started using “pee” more often as that’s what everyone else does, but I still use “wee” mentally and to people I know irl. I think in my stories I use “pee” but I don’t really think about it.

I'm UK to.

I agree that "wee" tends to be a slightly childish term but adult women do use it quite a bit too. Nothing better that hearing a well spoken lady declare that she's dying for a wee.

Some other less common British expressions I've encountered include; go for a burst, aim Arnold at the Armitage Shanks, direct Dave at the Royal Dalton, syphon the python. I'm sure there are more.

I'm from Northern England. I'm used to wee being seen as very quaint and a bit silly. It's generally what you'd say around young children and what they're encouraged to say. 

Then I'd say most adults say pee. 

Piss is seen as somewhat vulgar.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the phrase "water my horse" yet but I've only heard that said in a strong accent so it sounds more like "watta me orse". 

I think the usual and universally appropriate way to announce why you're getting up and leaving is to say you're "going to the toilet" or when in someone else's home "may I use your toilet" although I have had people laugh at me for asking that as if they'd ever say no. But it seems polite to ask before walking off into a room of someone else's house that you haven't been invited into. 

39 minutes ago, Ell19 said:

I can't believe no one has mentioned the phrase "water my horse" yet but I've only heard that said in a strong accent so it sounds more like "watta me orse". 

Don’t think I’ve heard that one, though I’ve heard some funny euphemisms like ‘drain the snake’, ‘water the flowerbeds’ (or plants), even ‘point Percy at the porcelain’. 

43 minutes ago, Ell19 said:

I think the usual and universally appropriate way to announce why you're getting up and leaving is to say you're "going to the toilet" or when in someone else's home "may I use your toilet" although I have had people laugh at me for asking that as if they'd ever say no. But it seems polite to ask before walking off into a room of someone else's house that you haven't been invited into. 

Whenever someone asks me that I always say no, partly as a joke but also to see their reaction!

31 minutes ago, Despguy123 said:

Don’t think I’ve heard that one, though I’ve heard some funny euphemisms like ‘drain the snake’, ‘water the flowerbeds’ (or plants), even ‘point Percy at the porcelain’. 

Whenever someone asks me that I always say no, partly as a joke but also to see their reaction!

Lol me to!!

Personally I've always found "pee" and "wee" pretty interchangable, the latter maybe slightly more informal and also more common. "Piss" is maybe more of a male thing, again informal.

As for the facility itself, "toilet" and "loo" seem pretty interchangable and reasonably formal; "bog", "outhouse" (if it's outside, which it was in my previous job), "shithouse" and "office" are other less formal ones that I've heard.

2 hours ago, Ell19 said:

You must be from further north than me - I've never heard that one! I can just imagine it being said though.

I've heard "turn my bike around" a lot, both at home (in the north, but only just) and - less so - here (more towards the middle). A slightly more cryptic development on that is "bicycular rotation". That'd take some working out, I'm sure!

I suppose "may I use your toilet?" can be as much a hint that you'd quite like to be told where it is, as much as it's a question in its own right!

Guest Omo-Omega
6 hours ago, Ell19 said:

when in someone else's home "may I use your toilet" although I have had people laugh at me for asking that as if they'd ever say no.

For that exact reason, I'm usually more likely to ask "where did you say the toilet is again?" (even if they've never told me, I just speak like that I guess) or if I'm definitely sure on where it is, I'll probably just stand up and say "I'm just going to the toilet quickly" as I leave. I'm sure they'd rather that than me wetting myself all over their nice carpet!

Lancs, UK here.

I prefer piss for general terms, but tend to use loo/pee whilst I'm at work. "Nipping to the loo, won't be long".

Wee - I'm similar as most, find it a more childish thing to say. Might use it if I'm in a 'sub' state of mind though. I love the word tinkle, I rarely hear that being used, though again I think it's something you'd use to address a younger audience and/or directed towards a sub.

1 hour ago, Ashi said:

Lancs, UK here.

I prefer piss for general terms, but tend to use loo/pee whilst I'm at work. "Nipping to the loo, won't be long".

Wee - I'm similar as most, find it a more childish thing to say. Might use it if I'm in a 'sub' state of mind though. I love the word tinkle, I rarely hear that being used, though again I think it's something you'd use to address a younger audience and/or directed towards a sub.

When British girls use the words "Wee" and "Nappy" in the same sentence it really turns me on.