Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Long Duration Exams at school

Imagine this: you have a big exam today (Final Exam, ACT, SAT) and you arrive at school 10 minutes before the test. You have to go use the facilities extremely bad than most of the other kids. You get to the bathroom and the line is almost 30 students long. Most of them want to preemptively use the restroom whether they have to go bad or not so that they don't have to leave the room (Leaving before all tests are completed is an automatic 0).

In situations like this you might end up holding it for a very long time, wet your pants if you can't hold it that long, or get a zero anyway because your constant moving around bouncing continously is noisy. Have you ever gotten into a situation where you really had to go during a test and how did you perform on the test as well as did you make it before messing or wetting yourself???

Edited by longlonglines (see edit history)

So with my water intake I usually pee ~2 hours, and the exams for my undergrad were typically 3 hours long. The last exam I had was for a module on osmoregulation in marine and aquatic vertebrates, so the latter half of that exam was spent having to think about water flowing into bladder's and all the sorts of things I really didn't want to think about at that moment (I'd drunk a mug of tea and glass of water beforehand, and also always bring a bottle of water with me to stay well hydrated).

My underwear may not have been entirely dry by the time I made it to the bathrooms, and if they hadn't been just outside the exam hall...

We had 3 hour exams for A Levels and at uni and sometimes the thought of it made me want to go more! As we had plenty of urinals in our bathrooms, the problem of queuing before the exam never arose. Usually I was fine though uncomfortable at the end. Once I went out at uni with the humiliation of being accompanied by one of the lecturers. I recall one A Level exam when I was so desperate after two and a half hours, I spent a good part of the last half hour wondering whether to ask to go out (too embarrassing and I thought they might refuse), try to let some out and stop the flow (dangerous), or whether to just piss myself and be damned. Several times I slid forwards on the seat seriously contemplating wetting but realising that the puddle and wet school trousers were too awful to imagine. In the end I just kept clinging on for dear life, literally, and managed to hold out. But I often wondered what would have happened if they suddenly added an extra half hour to the end of the exam for some reason! In those days I don't think adult diapers were easily available in the shops. I went to an all boys school and I clearly recall noticing several others in similar need on occasions fidgeting in their seats, leaving at the end with a hand plunged in one pocket for additional holding power and the inevitable sighs of relief and discussion while standing at the urinals together afterwards! 

I've had exams at both High School and University that were usually 3 hours, but occasionally 4 hours. I'm not into "protection" that much, but I have considered it for some of them, especially when I really needed all my time to work on the exam (and a high grade) to pass the subject/course. For most exams, we were allowed to visit the toilet under supervision, but it could easily cost you 10 minutes of working time.

What I would usually do was to limit my intake of water (and other fluids) before the exam, as well as foods that made me either thirsty or had a relatively high water content. In this way, I would limit the necessity of peeing during an exam.  The downside was that slight dehydration is really bad for concentration.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 8:25 PM, Jwjw said:

Imagine this: you have a big exam today (Final Exam, ACT, SAT) and you arrive at school 10 minutes before the test. You have to go use the facilities extremely bad than most of the other kids. You get to the bathroom and the line is almost 30 students long. Most of them want to preemptively use the restroom whether they have to go bad or not so that they don't have to leave the room (Leaving before all tests are completed is an automatic 0).

In situations like this you might end up holding it for a very long time, wet your pants if you can't hold it that long, or get a zero anyway because your constant moving around bouncing continously is noisy. Have you ever gotten into a situation where you really had to go during a test and how did you perform on the test as well as did you make it before messing or wetting yourself???

The longest exam I’ve ever done was 2 and a half hours. Despite me having a bottle of water that I was periodically drinking from, I didn’t have any trouble. I’m the kind of person though where I wouldn’t do the exam at all if I needed to go. I’d refuse to even bother entering the room with such a disadvantage, but that would never happen since I never would end up in a situation like that. I just wouldn’t allow it. I prepare for anything, use the bathroom basically whenever I need it or preemptively if I’m going to have an exam or something and although I am frequently late for things I’d never sacrifice using the bathroom (or basically anything.) to be on time.

Edited by RagingPython (see edit history)

I never had a full wetting accident during long exams, because I made sure I didn't drink a lot in last hour before the exam and used the toilet right before exam started. I usually pee about every 2 hours, so it was enough time even for long 2 hour exams. But I always wore extra protection in my underwear, because I had occasional leaks due to nervousness.