Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Bladder Capacity is Getting Ridiculous

I’ve known for years that my bladder is unusually small. Typically I’m desperate before I get to 300 ml and recently I’ve struggled to get much above 250. 

But today was ridiculous. I got home from work desperately needing a pee and actually peed a bit in my pants. I decided to measure, sure that I’d beat 300 ml but was shocked to only produce 150. 

Who else has such a tiny bladder?

I never measured the amount of urine, but I can't hold it much even on a good day. And sometimes I get really desperate very soon after I just came out of the bathroom. I'm so desperate, but when I go to the bathroom for the second time, only a small amount of urine comes out. Just enough it would make an embarrassing wet patch if I would let it go in my pants, but not enough to actually consider this a normal amount of urine when you need to go.

4 minutes ago, CarmenCD said:

I never measured the amount of urine, but I can't hold it much even on a good day. And sometimes I get really desperate very soon after I just came out of the bathroom. I'm so desperate, but when I go to the bathroom for the second time, only a small amount of urine comes out. Just enough it would make an embarrassing wet patch if I would let it go in my pants, but not enough to actually consider this a normal amount of urine when you need to go.

I am totally relate tobthat too! I have never measured either but at times can be utterly desperate yet not pee long and other times do a ‘precautionary pee’ before say a long car journey or business meeting and pee so long I actually wonder if it will ever stop! 

56 minutes ago, WetDave said:

I’ve known for years that my bladder is unusually small. Typically I’m desperate before I get to 300 ml and recently I’ve struggled to get much above 250. 

But today was ridiculous. I got home from work desperately needing a pee and actually peed a bit in my pants. I decided to measure, sure that I’d beat 300 ml but was shocked to only produce 150. 

Do you always piss when you start to feel desperate though? Maybe your bladder has become conditioned to emptying as soon as you feel full, maybe if you had to wait longer you could hold more? Also at you sure that you are fully emptying when desperate?

16 minutes ago, Mbgpeelover said:

I am totally relate tobthat too! I have never measured either but at times can be utterly desperate yet not pee long and other times do a ‘precautionary pee’ before say a long car journey or business meeting and pee so long I actually wonder if it will ever stop! 

I also do a precautionary pee, when I don't want to get in the situation when I have to hold it at the inconvenient time. And often can't pee or pee just a little. All good, but than soon after, I'm dying for a pee. Usually when I'm already somewhere I can't use a bathroom at least for a while. I hate when this happens. Where was all that urine when I was sitting on the toilet?

30 minutes ago, Wombat48 said:

Do you always piss when you start to feel desperate though? Maybe your bladder has become conditioned to emptying as soon as you feel full, maybe if you had to wait longer you could hold more? Also at you sure that you are fully emptying when desperate?

I always do a precautionary pee before going anywhere - before going to work or leaving work to go home (40 min journey), even before going out just for 10 or 15 minutes. 

The trouble is I can only just make the 40 minute journey without mishap, particularly on the way home. I’ve actually wet myself a few times on the way home. Because of this I’m very careful to have a precautionary pee, which perhaps is contributing to the small capacity problem.

I assume I’m fully emptying but without being tested I have no way of knowing. 

1 minute ago, WetDave said:

I always do a precautionary pee before going anywhere - before going to work or leaving work to go home (40 min journey), even before going out just for 10 or 15 minutes. 

The trouble is I can only just make the 40 minute journey without mishap, particularly on the way home. I’ve actually wet myself a few times on the way home. Because of this I’m very careful to have a precautionary pee, which perhaps is contributing to the small capacity problem.

I assume I’m fully emptying but without being tested I have no way of knowing. 

Ok- was just wondering if something had contributed to the reduction? 

I have the opposite problem in that I never wet myself however desperate in pain etc!

when you wet yourself can you just not hold any longer no matter what or do you just let go anyway??

how does wetting on way home make you feel? Anxious or do you enjoy it?

When I wet myself I just can’t hold it. It’s never painful trying to hold, it just escapes - imagine trying to hold a fistful of loose dry sand and you’ll get the idea. 

It’s a kind of awkward feeling before I wet, trying to hold it but knowing I won’t make it. I wear dark trousers so it hardly shows when I’ve peed so it’s not too embarrassing. 

1 minute ago, WetDave said:

When I wet myself I just can’t hold it. It’s never painful trying to hold, it just escapes - imagine trying to hold a fistful of loose dry sand and you’ll get the idea. 

It’s a kind of awkward feeling before I wet, trying to hold it but knowing I won’t make it. I wear dark trousers so it hardly shows when I’ve peed so it’s not too embarrassing. 

That’s really interesting 

I wonder if it more of a muscular control issue than bladder size then?

i think the 2 are separate as in your muscular control never lets your bladder completely fill? I say this based on talking to people who have bigger bladders in terms of quantity than me but will still eventually wet themselves involuntarily

If your bladder is actively hindering your life because it's so small/overactive you could see a urologist about it.

I'm not a doctor, hence what I'm saying next might not be entirely accurate. But from what I've read doctors often recommend keeping 'bladder journals', tracking when you went to the toilet. I imagine this helps document overactive bladder and how severe it is. I think they also recommend when trying to fight overactive bladder to try to set a realistic schedule for when you visit the toilet. But again, I'm not a doctor, I'm sure a urologist could give much better advice then me.

4 hours ago, princesspee27 said:

same has been happening to me. The accidents ive been having lately worries me that I will need diapers and im still in my 20s ?

You will get used to it. It's not that bad. I didn't like the idea when I started using diapers during sleep about a month ago, but I must say I sleep better now and more often than not I don't even wake up when I have to pee.

Edited by CarmenCD (see edit history)
1 hour ago, CarmenCD said:

You will get used to it. It's not that bad. I didn't like the idea when I started using diapers during sleep about a month ago, but I must say I sleep better now and more often than not I don't even wake up when I have to pee.

I know my girlfriend will be ok with it, she even suggested I wear them but I will still feel unhappy with myself. and it kills the whole fun of holding it because im so incontinent

13 hours ago, FullBladder85 said:

If your bladder is actively hindering your life because it's so small/overactive you could see a urologist about it.

I'm not a doctor, hence what I'm saying next might not be entirely accurate. But from what I've read doctors often recommend keeping 'bladder journals', tracking when you went to the toilet. I imagine this helps document overactive bladder and how severe it is. I think they also recommend when trying to fight overactive bladder to try to set a realistic schedule for when you visit the toilet. But again, I'm not a doctor, I'm sure a urologist could give much better advice then me.

Strongly this. 

If your ability to hold your pee (or lack of ability) is bothering you to the point of distressing other areas of your life, it's time to see a urologist. It's possible you just have a tiny bladder, *but* it's also possible you have Over Active Bladder, weak pelvic muscles, or other urinary conditions that are making it really difficult to hold. 

Some good references for reading:

Base information about Overactive Bladder: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/overactive-bladder/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20355721

Bladder "retraining" pamphlet for Overactive Bladder sufferers: https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files/14187Poveractivebladder.pdf

13 hours ago, girliegirl765 said:

Strongly this. 

If your ability to hold your pee (or lack of ability) is bothering you to the point of distressing other areas of your life, it's time to see a urologist. It's possible you just have a tiny bladder, *but* it's also possible you have Over Active Bladder, weak pelvic muscles, or other urinary conditions that are making it really difficult to hold. 

Some good references for reading:

Base information about Overactive Bladder: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/overactive-bladder/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20355721

Bladder "retraining" pamphlet for Overactive Bladder sufferers: https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files/14187Poveractivebladder.pdf

i just read that article and holy shit, i looked up a catheter nah,... hard pass I'd rather have to piss every hour than do that... nah not for me

Thanks all, some good information there.

From reading that stuff I suspect what’s happening is that my small bladder is making me take precautionary pees before I’m really full - when I have to go out, before a meeting, whatever, even when I don’t feel any pee urge at all. It seems that this makes your bladder get used to peeing more often, hence capacity decreases, leading to more and more precautionary peeing and so on. 

I’m going to try the measures suggested to train the bladder to hold on a bit longer. I’ll start keeping the pee diary they suggest, and also periodically measure my volume. 

I’ll also cut down on coffee. Recently I’ve been drinking more coffee at work than I used to and I wonder if this has contributed to the situation.

If it seems there is a problem continuing to develop then I’ll see a doctor. 

It’s not a major issue for me, I don’t wet myself very often, it’s just a bit of a nuisance. 

Today I got home from work without wetting myself and in fact I still haven’t peed and it’s now two hours since I last went. 

These are classic enlarged prostate symptoms as I know only too well from similar experiences.  Had it checked out by the doc to be told that it's perfectly normal at my age. I also find that coffee and alcohol don't help the resulting bladder issues either. I've learned to manage the symptoms but urgency can still be a problem so in situations where I know I won't be able to easily reach a toilet e.g. on a long road trip precautions are required just in case.

• 9 months later...
On 9/12/2018 at 7:36 PM, Poseidon said:

These are classic enlarged prostate symptoms as I know only too well from similar experiences.  Had it checked out by the doc to be told that it's perfectly normal at my age. I also find that coffee and alcohol don't help the resulting bladder issues either. I've learned to manage the symptoms but urgency can still be a problem so in situations where I know I won't be able to easily reach a toilet e.g. on a long road trip precautions are required just in case.

Yep, I know these ageing symptoms all too well myself! And well likewise I went to the doctors and she told the same after a check-up re the prostrate. I use to be able to hold over 1 litre and last for hours but can't do that now no way but it does not worry me coffee is hopeless I have to be careful when out re this. And my female doctor did say there is no shame in wearing protective underwear these days if I find it an issue or a problem. I have tried the men's Tenna pants which have been great for long kayak paddles in a drysuit which is nigh impossible to get down or out of quickly. LOL Kev. 

Edited by kevy19 (see edit history)

https://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/training-your-bladder

Bladder training

You might be teaching your bladder some bad habits—habits that can gradually result in incontinence or frequent bathroom breaks. For example, if you routinely urinate before your bladder is full, it learns to signal the need to go when less volume is present. That can set up a vicious cycle, as you respond to the new urges and teach your bladder to cry "run" when less and less urine is present.

Luckily, old bladders can learn new tricks. Bladder training, a program of urinating on schedule, enables you to gradually increase the amount of urine you can comfortably hold. Bladder training is a mainstay of treatment for urinary frequency and overactive bladder in both women and men, alone or in conjunction with medications or other techniques. It can also help prevent or lessen symptoms of overactive bladder that may emerge after surgery for stress incontinence. You can try it on your own or with the guidance and support of a health professional. Because bladder training is low-cost and low-risk, your clinician may encourage you to try it first, even before specific diagnostic tests are performed.

Step-by-step bladder-training technique

• Keep track. For a day or two, keep track of the times you urinate or leak urine during the day.
  • Calculate. On average, how many hours do you wait between urinations during the day?
  • Choose an interval. Based on your typical interval between urinations, select a starting interval for training that is 15 minutes longer. If your typical interval is one hour, make your starting interval one hour and 15 minutes.
  • Hold back. When you start training, empty your bladder first thing in the morning and not again until the interval you've set. If the time arrives before you feel the urge, go anyway. If the urge hits first, remind yourself that your bladder isn't really full, and use whatever techniques you can to delay going. Try the pelvic floor exercises sometimes called Kegels, or simply try to wait another five minutes before walking slowly to the bathroom.
  • Increase your interval. Once you are comfortable with your set interval, increase it by 15 minutes. Over several weeks or months, you may find you are able to wait much longer and that you experience far fewer feelings of urgency or episodes of urge incontinence.
  •  
  • 1 year later...
On 9/10/2018 at 12:47 PM, WetDave said:

*Raises hand shyly* See my username lol. I really need to get on a strict bladder stretching and training program. I've seen peeple who can hold a liter, 2 liters, even more so I know it must be physically possible. 

I think 3 ways I've been sabotaging my bladder's chances for growth are 1. Wearing diapers frequently which makes it all too easy to empty my little bladder the moment it asks for relief. Diapers have their advantages for sure, but non-absorbent clothes that will get you, your clothes, and your surroundings soaked if you leak are a much bigger incentive to hold it all in.

2. Related to this, being home alone pretty much all the time (like most of us have been for awhile but I have even more so) makes it easier to just let go when the urge strikes then being (undiapered) in public where one must hold under pain of humiliation.

3. I'm really bad about remembering to hydrate regularly. Unthinkable for one of our ilk, I know. If I drank as much liquid as I should every day my bladder would get way more urine to practice containing.

So these are the big things I know I need to start doing. Drinking liberal amounts of fluids all day every day and not shying away from drinking up away from home where toilets won't be available, later in the evening when I might have to get up to pee at night or hold it all night and risk wetting the bed, or drinking diuretic beverages like caffeine or alcohol whether I'll have convenient potty access or not.

Train myself to "forget" to go potty "just in case" before leaving home, long trips, etc. Spend as much time as possible in public settings where bathroom access is limited or nonexistent and a pants wetting would be socially expensive and humiliating.

No more wearing diapers (or pads when it's not my moon week) and no more letting worries about things like tightness, multiple/stubborn/back fasteners, one piece outfits or other things that might be hard to get out of quickly dictate my fashion choices. Basically I need to turn it around so my laziness favors holding instead of instant release.

My record is 22 hours, but it wasn't done for fun. I was in a high-stress situation and one of the ways my body decided to react to it was to clamp up so hard that I physically couldn't pee. I remember when I went to bed that night, hoping I'd wake up wet just so the pain wouldn't be there anymore, but I wasn't lucky enough for that to happen. I didn't measure how much came out when I finally got myself to go. I was way more focused on actually getting something out because I was scared I was going to need the hospital. I peed for a really, really long time, but it was a super weak stream and I kept kind of starting and stopping. Kind of hurt coming out since I was needing to force it so hard.