Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Anime that Make You Cry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 12:18 PM, Janiseguchi said:

Grave of the fireflies. Just a very sad movie. I am a very emotional person.

1000% yes. This is just what I was going to post, Grave of the Fireflies is the single most heartbreaking movie I've ever seen. I'm not an overly emotional person but I can not watch this movie without at least getting teary eyed. First time I watched this with my girlfriend we both ended up crying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

-Plastic Memories.

-Violet Evergarden - more specifically since the epi. 1 ( really man, every epi make me cry like a baby, only watching the opening and reading the lyrics makes m eyes all wet )

Bonus

-Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) - okay, it don't really make me cry but it have a good story, I have a HUGE complain about how "open" it end up, going to the manga.

- Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - don't make me cry but I really like it.

Man, I know this is very variable, people have different feelings and different things trigger it, but I don't remember 1 damn epi from Violet Evergarden that I did not end up with tears in the eyes, I'm very anxious waiting for the movie.

Alright, I gave a funny answer at the beginning of the year (though no less accurate), might as well come back and be a little more comprehensive. With (spoiler-free) context, usually quotes, to pinpoint the exact moment.

• Cowboy Bebop-HE PUT THE PINWHEEL ON THE SHIP
  • Gurren Lagann-"Now I get it. And I was having such a sappy dream."
  • My Hero Academia-"Mom...can I be a hero too?"
  • Squid Girl-SHE WAS SO SAD ABOUT THE UMBRELLA
  • One Punch Man-"I'm weak. I know that much. No one has to tell me I have no chance of beating you. And yet, I must try. It's not about winning or losing! It's about me taking you on right here, right now!"
  • Toradora-Christmas.
  • Osamatsu-San-"Thank you, king-sized game-winning home run!"
  • Sword Art Online-"The skill is called 'Mother's Rosario'. I'm sure it will protect you."
  • K-On!-"Please don't graduate."
  • When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace-"I don't understand!"

Honestly, given how easy it is, the more surprising thing is that Fullmetal Alchemist never brought out the tears for me.

Towards the ending of Durarara!! x2, my fiance cries every single time in the penultimate episode

Tokyo Ghoul has made me cry like a bitch many times, but reading the manga, in :re...Kanae and Shirazu hit me hard both in the manga and anime, and in the manga especially, when Takizawa tries to help Hoji one last time...whew lads. Oh, and when shit gets serious with Tsukiyama and his family.

Cried like a bitch over Nana.

When I was in middle school and watched Death Note for the first time, I cried when you might expect, but i also bawled like a baby when Aizawa made the decision to leave the task force and was telling his family that they would do fun things together, then he starts crying...

Last episode of Azumanga Daioh got me the first time too

Edited by Zapp Renfro (see edit history)
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The only anime that has made me really teary-eyed is Grave of the Fireflies.  I also get somewhat emotional in Digimon Tamers when Jerri shuts down mentally and Takato keeps trying to do his best to cheer her up, but she's just given up on everything.  It's heartbreaking how her character personality takes a 180, but from a storytelling standpoint it makes for a powerful story, seeing her slowly drift into the darkness as the episodes go on.

• 1 month later...