Jump to content
Existing user? Sign In

Sign In



Or sign in with one of these services

Sign Up
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

Anime that Make You Cry

Recommended Posts

I know this might sound a little strange, but every now and then I feel an urge to watch an anime that can make me feel something.  For this topic, I am asking for anime recommendations for shows so emotionally powerful that it can bring people to tears (happy or sad).  If you give a reason, do not give anything away that would spoil the series such as a character death. Below is a list of anime that has made me cry or tear up.  I also included a list of emotional anime that I had no reaction to.

Anime that made me cry

-Pokemon: This happened during the episodes  Bye Bye Butterfree's and Goodbye Pikachu (still tear up a little when I see this one)

-Sword Art Online Season 2: the final arc, nuff said.

-Naruto: during the Land of Waves arc

-One piece: when Sanji joined Luffy's crew

-Little Busters

-Kanon

-Plastic Memories

- The Pet Girl of Sakurasou 

-Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

-Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto: teared up while reading the manga.

Anime that have not made me cry (but probably should have)

-Angel Beats

-Gurren Lagann 

-Orange

Share this post


Link to post

Oh this one is easy, My Hero Academia! The emotion of the characters, the story, it's all an amazing story! Ancient Magus' Bride is another one because holy crap poor Chise! But the ending of season one got me and my girlfriend both! As for Manga? Tsugumomo is a massive tear jerker at times. The ending of Video Girl Ai made me cry happy tears for a good hour. I could probably name a lot more if I really wanted. 

Edited by wetman22 (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post

Omg, Plastic Memories </3. SAO II p2 was also a heart jerker.

 

In terms of non-mentioned series, I will add in here:

-Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (Your Lie in April) - YOU KNOW IT'S COMING BUT IT STILL HITS U

-Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) - man, imo this movie plot is deeper than Kimi no Na wa (Your Name), but the manga is better since it covers more

-Violet Evergarden - more specifically ep. 11 (I think?), The one w/ the little girl

-Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho (A Place Further than the Universe) - this was more of a "such a strong/cute relationship" + some feels w/ a specific character and her relationship w/ someone

 

Lastly, does Shelter count? It's a music video, but man that letter hit me in the feelz that night.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Most of the major character deaths in Legend of Galactic Heroes, tbh.

And the end of Cowboy Bebop.

And when Takahashi Ryosuke saved The Shinigami's life in Initial D 5th stage. Never knew downhill racing could be that touching.


Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, both seasons
Pretty much all Miyazaki films
Area 88

Edited by Downjacket
Added more anime (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post

I never cried while watching any kind of movies. But while watching clannad I started to cry in one scene. It reminded me on something similar in my life. So I don't know if it makes you cry, but it worked for me! ?

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Haburashi said:

I never cried while watching any kind of movies. But while watching clannad I started to cry in one scene. It reminded me on something similar in my life. So I don't know if it makes you cry, but it worked for me!

I tried watching that show a while back but couldn't get into it. I stopped  watching after the arc with that one girl in a coma. It wasn't a bad show though.  I might pick it up again at some point in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/20/2018 at 8:20 AM, Ajax7408 said:

I watched the 1996 Cinderella anime yesterday and the ending of the final episode made me cry

They had a Cinderella anime?

i guess there’s anime for everything 

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/21/2018 at 9:32 PM, Ghostblade913 said:

They had a Cinderella anime?

i guess there’s anime for everything 

It's a beautiful anime and has amazing characters. This anime version may be my favorite love story ever

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/29/2018 at 11:34 AM, Char242 said:

I know this might sound a little strange, but every now and then I feel an urge to watch an anime that can make me feel something.  For this topic, I am asking for anime recommendations for shows so emotionally powerful that it can bring people to tears (happy or sad).  If you give a reason, do not give anything away that would spoil the series such as a character death. Below is a list of anime that has made me cry or tear up.  I also included a list of emotional anime that I had no reaction to.

Anime that made me cry

-Pokemon: This happened during the episodes  Bye Bye Butterfree's and Goodbye Pikachu (still tear up a little when I see this one)

-Sword Art Online Season 2: the final arc, nuff said.

-Naruto: during the Land of Waves arc

-One piece: when Sanji joined Luffy's crew

-Little Busters

-Kanon

-Plastic Memories

- The Pet Girl of Sakurasou 

-Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

-Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto: teared up while reading the manga.

Anime that have not made me cry (but probably should have)

-Angel Beats

-Gurren Lagann 

-Orange

Your Lie in April

Share this post


Link to post

i didn't actually cry but i got very emotional from:

Berserk (mostly the manga but even the anime, in that part was good) when Guts, Caska and the others went to free Griffith from his prison

Trigun with the death of a certain character

 When i was younger the first Vegeta vs Frieza combat had me actually shed a couple of tears.

Share this post


Link to post

The episode of Squid Girl where she's playing with the umbrella always makes me cry. As well as the first Mini Squid Girl episode. If you haven't seen the series, that implication has probably left you dumbfounded.

Share this post


Link to post

5 Centimeters Per Second

It's a short movie, about an hour long, so not as much as a real investment as a series, but I think it's what you're looking for.

Very melancholic, beautiful art.

Share this post


Link to post

Honestly, this scene hit me even harder than Bebop's finale. It's the music that really does it...

 

Share this post


Link to post

Here's my recommendations for anime that had me shed some tears.:

Banner of the Stars (sequel to Crest of the Stars) - Sci-Fi Space Drama Anime
Battle Athletes Victory - Quirky Sci-Fi athletics anime.
Chobits - Sci-Fi drama addressing the human experience and questions of love and relationships.
Cowboy Bebop - Sci-Fi space adventure/drama, watch it all the way through.
Eureka Seven - Another Sci-Fi adventure, it has some emotional moments later in.
Fruits Basket - Modern-Era Fantasy Drama.
Gunslinger Girl - Modern-Era Crime Drama.
I My Me! Strawberry Eggs - Modern-Era comedy drama. It has it's moments.
Maria Watches Over Us - Modern era school drama.
Midori Days - Modern-Era fantasy drama.
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket - Sci-Fi Drama, not your typical Gundam side story at all, quite an emotional conclusion.
My-HiME - Modern-Era fantasy drama.
My-Z-HiME: My-Otome - Sci-Fi fantasy drama, this one also has a very brief age-play scene late in.
Nana - Modern-Era romance drama.
NightWalker: Midnight Detective - Modern-Era romance crime drama. This one got to me near the end.
Robotech - Sci-Fi Space Drama, had some unexpected character deaths.
School Days - Modern-Era romance drama. Train wreck of a series, that I cried out of feeling bad for some of the characters.
Shangri-La - Sci-Fi fantasy, has some gut wrenching moments.
Strawberry Panic - Modern-Era school yuri-romance drama.
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - Modern era disaster drama.

Share this post


Link to post

Anime and crying, and no-one mentioned Madoka Magica yet? ?

I've seen some of the mentions in this thread - they were sad or melancholic, or rile you up, sure, but aren't real tearjerkers. But this one... this one is the only one that made me cry so far. (No dissing or anything; it's different strokes for different folks. And I've only seen a few.)

Strangely enough with Puella Magi Madoka Magica, you'll cry more on the second watching than the first. And it starts off as a really cute one though, so sorry for the general spoiler-y nature of this post.

Share this post


Link to post
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...