Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Using vegetable glycerin as diuretics

Helloes after a long time :)

Does anyone have any info about / experience with using vegetable glycerin as diuretics? It's essential to make liquids for electronic cigarettes, also it's used in medicine to release cerebral pressure in case of brain swelling or excessive in-eyes pressure. Thus it's cheap and easily accessible.
Any hints to preserve healthy dosing for casual usage?

Please, DON'T do it! 

Glycerin (vegetable or not) is a serious drug, so it has lots of side effects. Do not use it as a diuretic, because it can lead to osmotic diarrhea if assumed per os (aka drink). It's really really dangerous: if you assumed an high dosage, it can lead to death due to arrythmias and lots of other cardiac problems (exerction of potassium, calcium and other important ions). 

The only way to assume glycerin as a diuretic is via injection, and I do not suggest you to try this...

(By the way, I'm a pharmacist and that's why I know this stuff).

Update: An average human would have to ingest 90 to 120 grams of glycerin for the dose to be toxic. Small concentrations are practically harmless. (according to http://www.glycerin.cz/). I guess a small ammount of 1% (mass %) solution wouldn't hurt.... I'm still considering to try it on myself. I'm just curious.

Edited by Weth Driss (see edit history)
1 minute ago, Weth Driss said:

Update: An average human would have to ingest 90 to 120 grams of glycerin for the dose to be toxic. Small concentrations are practically harmless. (according to http://www.glycerin.cz/). I guess a small ammount of 1% (mass %) solution wouldn't hurt.... I'm still dubious about trying it on myself.

Before I posted about the fact that assuming glycerin by ingestion lead to (notice that I'm no using 'could lead' but 'lead') a laxative effect: even if you use a small dosage, the solution would not have a diuretic effect, but a diarrhoic one. There's only one way to have a diuretic effect  and it's by injection and I would not advice you. 

Remember that glycerin is a serious med, so usage of it should be restrained on medical purpose only, not fun-related ones.

Trust me, it would hurt. If you won't listen to me, just do whatever you want, but I warned you!