Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Hello friends!

So this semester I am in a psychology course that is devoted to abnormalities in the human psychological condition. This week we were discussing sexual-based disorders.

I just thought this would be a good of a place as any to share that kinks, fetishes, and sexual preferences are NOT classified in any way as a psychological abnormality or disorder of any kind. It is only considered a problem if it is “maladaptive”, or harming yourself or others physically, socially, psychologically, emotionally, etc... (ie; flashing your genitalia and mentally scarring somebody)

but it is a general understanding in the progressive psychological community that if everything is safe, sane, and consensual then it is not something to worry about.

So if you needed to hear that today, there it is. You are NOT a freak because wetting your pants turns you on. You are NOT disgusting because you hold your bladder. You are NOT a disgrace because you wear a diaper for the way it feels... I could go on.

The second part of this is the case studies we looked at. Mine was an all-women’s study on fetishes. I now have a (fairly) comprehensive list of fetishes and fantasies that women admit to having tried or watched for pleasure. This includes a bit of a percentile system.

I was surprised to see that omorashi wasn’t on the list, but I’m assuming it was lumped in with “urine play/golden showers”, and that was relatively low on the list. Bathroom denial was quite a bit higher, but that was tied in with “Deprivation” which included blindfolding, orgasm denial, and other such things.

If you’re curious about any of it PM me and I’d be happy to take a look at my resources.

Thankfully, psychology has realized that over pathologizing everything doesn't make anyone happy in the long run, so while they didn't take fetishes out of the DSM entirely, they just put in a little asterisk that it's only a disorder if it's harmful to the self or others. Baby steps, but definitely steps in the right direction. Personality disorders (or personality styles in their non-pathological version) are also interesting to learn about, and a personal favorite of mine.

• 1 month later...

Super interesting! I have been wondering a lot about how I came to like omorashi and at the same time feeling a little bit...uncomfortable being classified as an abnormality or "perversion". Do you have any other thoughts about omo related to psychology? I was digging into freud a bit the other day trying to understand what made me get into this beautiful "perversion" :D

Trying my best to embrace the omo-part of me and am happy to have joined my brothers and sisters here at omorashi.org :)

Peace and love to you all!

Guest Eqru
On 3/30/2018 at 1:24 AM, kyrieelleison14 said:

they just put in a little asterisk that it's only a disorder if it's harmful to the self or others

Would Omorashi then become a disorder since it can be harmful to the self if you hold for longer than your bodies physical threshold? Or is it only a disorder if it is a fetish such as public shaming, where it always internally harms someone when done. So basically, is it a disorder if anytime you do it it is harmful, or is it a disorder if it is *Possible* to harm someone or something.

On 5/3/2018 at 6:02 PM, Eqru said:

Would Omorashi then become a disorder since it can be harmful to the self if you hold for longer than your bodies physical threshold? Or is it only a disorder if it is a fetish such as public shaming, where it always internally harms someone when done. So basically, is it a disorder if anytime you do it it is harmful, or is it a disorder if it is *Possible* to harm someone or something.

A lot of that comes down to clinical judgement. So, a psychologist might consider it a disorder if you repeatedly hold your bladder to the point of injury (kidney damage, rupture or something severe). A little bit of pain following a long hold that doesn't cause long-term problems probably won't be considered a disorder, but that is very much the judgement of the psychologist.

For a public shaming fetish, if the person enjoys humiliation it isn't really harming them since that is their goal, however, if you continually coerced people to wet themselves in public (locking the door, physically restraining them, etc.) then yes you are doing harm to them and its a problem. That also plays a factor into people who go to public places and go up to people and wet themselves (I recall a story posted here not too long ago about a guy going up to people in a food store, saying they need to pee and following the person around until they wet themselves in front of the poor people). If you force a person to play into your fetish in such a way it can be considered a disorder.

Basically, so long as there is consent of parties involved, no long term damage, you can stop yourself from doing it if need be, and doesn't involve people under 18 you are good.

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2018 at 6:02 PM, Eqru said:

While the DSM used to classify all fetishistic behavior as "abnormal" and "needs to be treated", recent DSM versions (partially through help of the BDSM community) have refined that definition. Basically, now you need to have the fetish *and* be under significant lifestyle impairment because of it in order for it to be classified as a problem.

So, if you like pee, absolutely no problem. If you feel *shame* and feel hatred at yourself because of your inability to get a girlfriend/boyfriend because of your kink, then it's a problem. If you are ending up in the ER due to an addiction to the kink that leads you to harm yourself, then it's a problem. If you're regularly getting arrested for peeing in public or harassing others with your kink, then it's a problem. If you hate yourself because you're unable to function at work because of the idea of bathroom use going on in the workplace, then it's a problem. So, the kink itself and having it is absolutely no problem, but in psychological terms, when the fetishistic behavior "cause significant distress or impair social, occupational, or personal functioning", then it can classify into the disorder category. 

This is a pretty thorough page about the clinical definition for fetishism: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/conditions/fetishistic-disorder