Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Broken External Drive

Guest Soma-Matic

Buy a Sata to IDE cord, it's likely the SATA controller broke.... I did it for a friend of mine. If you are in the states, and don't mind paying 50 dollars + shipping, we could even arrange it through ebay so you have buyer protectio, I could fix it  if you want just pm. I honestly don't care I don't need to look at the data to get it running again. If the plates or needle are broke I can't repair it and most small shops can't, and data recovery starts going into the hundreds at that point. If you want me to walk you through install a sata controller I can do that for free here. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I know this does not help anymore. But, next time, just get a second drive and do a backup, that's the easier way saving data. Maybe you want to use snapshots, here is a tut https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/225730/how-to-take-snapshot-of-an-ext4-filesystem#225744 At least that should work if you do this on a internal HDD, we got virtual file systems on Linux, might also just work on the same disk, you might want to find out more about this. Deja dup is also very good.