Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

What do you drive?

Guest Soma-Matic

On 9/14/2019 at 4:06 AM, PWG said:

^ Oouuf.  See, I'm sort of divided on the discussion of timing belts/cambelts and timing chains.  My Vic uses a timing chain setup which in general lasts hundreds of thousands of miles if they're taken care of.  That being said, Ford has cheaped out on some model years and went with a softer nylon that wears much faster than its previous version.  Those will eat the timing chain guides and eventually FUBAR the timing chain system.  Its either an expensive (for a shop) or time intensive and labor intensive (for yourself) job to do this.  TBH if that happens to my Vic I'll more than likely swap an entire engine into it instead.  As far as belts, I see them as easier to maintain and operate, but obviously when the belt gives up the ghost, you have a car that's toast.

Anyways just some ramblings of mine.

Fortunately mine was a real old banger, deliberately so because it's used and abused for work, so it wasn't unexpected in the slightest, but as is always the way with these things it certainly picked it's moment, haha! It's off to the great scrapyard in the sky tomorrow, nor worth spending anything on it, so time to pick up another dog to run into the ground. To be honest, I really can't complain -  picked this up for £300 7 months ago, have covered 13,000 miles in that time and all it's cost me is £60 for tyres. I'll get £160 back for scrap value, so £200 for so many miles over 7 months is a steal!

Maybe one day I'll be able to own a nice car again, but whilst I'm trashing them with work it's a waste, so bangers it is. 😄 Although maybe a chain rather than belt drive next time, haha. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In many countries, manual is still considered the default, while automatic is an upgrade. I've never actually driven an automatic! My daily driver, the van I use for work ('08 Ford Transit, 1.8

Nice. I just really like diesel trucks for some reason haha

Probably the best car I've ever owned was an old Saab 900S convertible. Big old lump, but totally bulletproof. Other than servicing, it didn't cost me a penny in repairs/maintenance. Then I fooli

Posted Images

17 hours ago, ~Kitty Nikki~ said:

You drive a crown Victoria? Those things are boats! So big lol

They are definitely big.  I jokingly tell people at car meets that my Vic has the heart of a Mustang (which it does, the 4.6L 2v was used in Mustangs from 96-04), but has the weight of 2 Mustangs (well, not really, but the Crown Vic is roughly 700lbs heavier than a Mustang).  I picked up my first one on a whim when my Saturn wagon's transmission literally exploded.  Lessons learned and I'm on my (technically) third Vic.  The first one was a lemon, the second one was rehabilitated and then sold off to my friend, and I've kept the third for myself.  As big as they are, they handle great.  I've done Canyon Runs in my Vic, and even with my inferior suspension (model years 98-02 are inferior to model years 03+) I can still run the canyons in the 80mph range with no issue.

16 hours ago, Piddly said:

Fortunately mine was a real old banger, deliberately so because it's used and abused for work, so it wasn't unexpected in the slightest, but as is always the way with these things it certainly picked it's moment, haha! It's off to the great scrapyard in the sky tomorrow, nor worth spending anything on it, so time to pick up another dog to run into the ground. To be honest, I really can't complain -  picked this up for £300 7 months ago, have covered 13,000 miles in that time and all it's cost me is £60 for tyres. I'll get £160 back for scrap value, so £200 for so many miles over 7 months is a steal!

Maybe one day I'll be able to own a nice car again, but whilst I'm trashing them with work it's a waste, so bangers it is. 😄 Although maybe a chain rather than belt drive next time, haha. 

In terms of min-maxing, then yeah I'd say you got your money's worth out of it.  Where I live you can't get beaters/bangers for that low of a price, I vividly recall an ad for a car that I saw that said "It drives and passes smog, so its worth at least $2,000."  No photos or anything, just an incredibly arrogant sales pitch for some fool.  I've only owned one car with a timing belt, which was a 93 Dodge Spirit.  Transmission and cooling system took a dump before the engine did.  Honestly outside of the transmission that Dodge was fairly decent, kind of miss it now.

Edited by PWG (see edit history)

Probably the best car I've ever owned was an old Saab 900S convertible. Big old lump, but totally bulletproof. Other than servicing, it didn't cost me a penny in repairs/maintenance.

Then I foolishly had my head turned by an Alfa Romeo. 🙄 Traded my old barge in and took out a whacking great finance deal on it, only to damn near bankrupt myself with he repair bills. It was a beautiful car, but didn't look half as attractive when it was on the ramps, which is where it spent at least half of its life. 😂

Bagged myself another banger, 14 year old Ford Focus Estate, its only costing me £100 on top of the scrap value of my old one, so even if it lasts a few weeks it's cheaper than renting one. 😁

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2019 at 1:32 PM, DeltaFoxtrot said:

2012 Ram 1500 RCSB 2WD Hemi. Intake, exhaust, street tune, tinted, camper shell, black 20"s and a few other things. Turns heads all around town and tears up the back roads.

Badass. Is it a 5.7? I think that's the only one you can get in the half ton. Friends of mind had a 2500 with the 6.4 for awhile and it was quick as hell. He traded it for a Cummins after like 6 months because he was bought a bigger boat. I'm a die hard Dodge guy, and what I know about the hemis I really like them, but I've never owned or really worked on any. 

8 minutes ago, PrincessPeeach said:

Noooooooooo say it isn’t true! I’ve always wanted one too....And I’m almost to that point....but you’re right there’s lots of other things I’d like more....

i also currently drive a ford🙄🤣

Haha I’d still like a Jag. But instead i paid off the mortgage on our house and being mortgage-free feels a lot better than sitting in a Jag!

25 years ago I drove an XJS V12 5.3 litre down the Munich to Salzburg autobahn. What a gorgeous car! Gliding along in smooth and silent comfort at 140mph was amazing - from that moment I was hooked!

But Fords are good cars, cheap to run, spares widely available and overall good practical cars. I’m quite happy with it, I’ve had it for 14 years now. 

Edited by WetDave (see edit history)
On 9/17/2019 at 10:47 AM, Piddly said:

Probably the best car I've ever owned was an old Saab 900S convertible. Big old lump, but totally bulletproof. Other than servicing, it didn't cost me a penny in repairs/maintenance.

Then I foolishly had my head turned by an Alfa Romeo. 🙄 Traded my old barge in and took out a whacking great finance deal on it, only to damn near bankrupt myself with he repair bills. It was a beautiful car, but didn't look half as attractive when it was on the ramps, which is where it spent at least half of its life. 😂

Bagged myself another banger, 14 year old Ford Focus Estate, its only costing me £100 on top of the scrap value of my old one, so even if it lasts a few weeks it's cheaper than renting one. 😁

I had 3 x 900s.  brilliant cars.  I then had a 2006 9-3, which was awful

I drive an old S55... monster

Yeah @moiamigo the 9-3 was such a let down after the epic 900s wasn't it. 😞 

That couple of hundred quid for the Focus estate? Yeah, well it turned into several hundred more when the pulley came off the power steering pump, and took out the pipes in the process. New pump, new pipes, new belts...cheap old banger is now expensive old banger! 🙄 But it's a surprisingly nice drive, and not too bad on the juice either.

On 9/16/2019 at 10:35 AM, ~Kitty Nikki~ said:

You drive a crown Victoria? Those things are boats! So big lol

I drove one of these on a day trip for business.  This car (2010 Crown Vic Rental) had 70,000 miles on the clock and had a slight odor to it.  

Best.  Goddamn.  Ride.  Ever.  7 1/2 hours on the interstate each way.  Plush silence.  None of that annoying "Feel of the Road" either!  

Peace,

Derek

I drive a Ford Fiesta ST. Lots of fun on windy roads with the turbocharged engine. Also pretty fuel efficient as I get 30 mpg. Looking at getting a Volvo V60 next. I've always wanted a fast station wagon. 

On 10/5/2019 at 9:16 PM, derektor_2000 said:

I drove one of these on a day trip for business.  This car (2010 Crown Vic Rental) had 70,000 miles on the clock and had a slight odor to it.  

Best.  Goddamn.  Ride.  Ever.  7 1/2 hours on the interstate each way.  Plush silence.  None of that annoying "Feel of the Road" either!  

Peace,

Derek

looks lovely but 20mpg at best!?!?  

I'm in the UK, would love an American car.  Are there any that are actually fuel efficient? (by that I mean 40 or 50+)

On 10/5/2019 at 12:27 PM, Piddly said:

Yeah @moiamigo the 9-3 was such a let down after the epic 900s wasn't it. 😞 

That couple of hundred quid for the Focus estate? Yeah, well it turned into several hundred more when the pulley came off the power steering pump, and took out the pipes in the process. New pump, new pipes, new belts...cheap old banger is now expensive old banger! 🙄 But it's a surprisingly nice drive, and not too bad on the juice either.

I'm also a Saab fan... Well, mine's technically a Trailblazer... the 9-7x. Lol

I drive a Subaru Forester.  Before that, I drove a Toyota Yaris, but I needed something large for hauling video production gear.  Starting to think about what I want to do for my next ride... Based on my lifestyle currently, I'm thinking I might get two different vehicles- One as my daily driver and another for work and hauling stuff.  Maybe a Subaru WRX for my daily driver and a basic cargo van for hauling.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 1:53 PM, moiamigo said:

looks lovely but 20mpg at best!?!?  

I'm in the UK, would love an American car.  Are there any that are actually fuel efficient? (by that I mean 40 or 50+)

There’s plenty of US 4 bangers that get good mpgs but they aren’t particularly exciting imo. 

Also my Vic can hit 25+ mpg on highway, and depending on my driving habits I can hit 20+ on the streets, when I’m not flooring it and chirping and barking my tires with my hard shifts and listening to my glasspack exhaust. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That Focus estate that only cost me a couple of hundred quid? Yeah, well the less said about that the better really, haha. Had the PAS system all renewed as I mentioned, only for it to fail once again quite spectacularly by throwing all of it's fluid across the road. The new pump had failed too! 😞 On top of some other issues, it wasn't worth throwing any more money at. So that one went off to the great scrapyard in the sky too, to be replaced by a cheap Fiesta.

Fast forward less than 7 weeks...and the Fiesta failed it's MOT test (annual safety inspection for those not in the UK) on a couple of trivial things and also an ABS system fault. This proved uneconomical to repair quickly - it could have been done in a day or two at more than double the value of the car, or for a fraction of that but with a week downtime in-between. As I need to be mobile for work, and could't afford to pay the eyewatering cost of a quick fix, I had to swap cars yet again, this time to a Ford StretKa. Nice for the summer with the droptop, but not at all practical as a working vehicle! 🤣 Ah well, touch wood no costly repairs so far which is pretty good going for me, although I've only had it 48hrs so that's really not saying much! 🙈