Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

female Testing out a thick Tena pad, or, With pads like these, who needs diapers?

Great stuff :D

Tena *do* make an overnight pad that's even wider and longer than that one and similarly, can hold almost a full pee at once without leaking.

They're so big and so wide that they can easily be used by guys (especially if you flip them around so the wide end is at the front).  They are *much* better than any of the 'proper' male pads are...

1 hour ago, ian flemming said:

God I really love these

just wonderful

Thanks! :)

31 minutes ago, xxxxx said:

Great stuff :D

Tena *do* make an overnight pad that's even wider and longer than that one and similarly, can hold almost a full pee at once without leaking.

They're so big and so wide that they can easily be used by guys (especially if you flip them around so the wide end is at the front).  They are *much* better than any of the 'proper' male pads are...

I've seen these... and I might have even tested one out... stay tuned!

5 hours ago, rachelkirwan said:

I can’t honestly remember the exact variety of pad this is, it’s been sitting in my pad collection, plumply teasing me for a while now, and it was finally time to test this puppy out.

It's a Tena Instadry pad. Looks like the long version. http://www.tena.ca/tena-serenity-instadry-long/5417154171,en_CA,pd.html

If someone suffered from incontinence sufficient to require a pad of this thickness during the day, I’d recommend a diaper, with proper gathers all the way down the sides, from experience. So I’m a little unsure as to the exact intention of the pad. I suppose it is designed for cover major and significant leaks on the way to the bathroom. Like a massive key-in-latch accident, or for someone who had very large leaks when the sneeze. I reckon it could also serve to catch the first significant portion of an OAB episode, giving you enough time to get the leak under control, and find a washroom. So I suppose I’ve talked myself into this pad, but well either way, I’d probably prefer a diaper for the sense of security and thinness.

There's a category of incontinence pads made for people who should really be wearing diapers, but don't want to. I can't remember where I saw it, but I heard a cute name for them once: denial pads.

45 minutes ago, supernerd222 said:

It's a Tena Instadry pad. Looks like the long version. http://www.tena.ca/tena-serenity-instadry-long/5417154171,en_CA,pd.html

There's a category of incontinence pads made for people who should really be wearing diapers, but don't want to. I can't remember where I saw it, but I heard a cute name for them once: denial pads.

Denial pads... ;) But I get why these exist. And good eye, you know your pads :)

Guest skilful

I’ve seen these pads used by ladies with stress incontinence temporarily when dealing with a cold that involves lots of coughing as after a few days the pelvic muscles get weak enough that every cough causes a leak and these pads can hold out for much of the day compared to the usual liners or small pads. 

Excellent review. I’m actually impressed that a pad could hold that much.

3 hours ago, supernerd222 said:

denial pads

That really is a good name for them.

They really are made for people whose incontinence is bad enough that they probably should be wearing some kind of pull-up or diaper, but refuse to do so because they would be too embarrassed by it.

20 hours ago, skilful said:

I’ve seen these pads used by ladies with stress incontinence temporarily when dealing with a cold that involves lots of coughing as after a few days the pelvic muscles get weak enough that every cough causes a leak and these pads can hold out for much of the day compared to the usual liners or small pads. 

Oh they definitely can. One of the annoying things with thinner pads is that you have to change them after a leak. And like you day, if you are expecting lots of leaks in a row (like allergy season), then while the pad might catch leaks one and two, your panties and pants may still get wet from leaks three before you make it to the loo to change. 

18 hours ago, Bothan1138 said:

Excellent review. I’m actually impressed that a pad could hold that much.

That really is a good name for them.

They really are made for people whose incontinence is bad enough that they probably should be wearing some kind of pull-up or diaper, but refuse to do so because they would be too embarrassed by it.

Definitely don't underestimate the feeling of independence. When I was young I was very excited to change to pads during the day, it gave me a huge feeling of being mature and well yeah. 

53 minutes ago, rachelkirwan said:

Definitely don't underestimate the feeling of independence.

Fair enough. I can certainly understand why someone would want to stick to pads if they can.

Maybe I’m just looking at this a bit too practically. Matching the level of protection to the amount of leakage.

Besides, you even said yourself that

On 1/18/2018 at 4:33 PM, rachelkirwan said:

If someone suffered from incontinence sufficient to require a pad of this thickness during the day, I’d recommend a diaper, with proper gathers all the way down the sides, from experience.

2 hours ago, Bothan1138 said:

Fair enough. I can certainly understand why someone would want to stick to pads if they can.

Maybe I’m just looking at this a bit too practically. Matching the level of protection to the amount of leakage.

Besides, you even said yourself that

Definitely. Everyone's different. I remember growing up (and still to a large extent now), how I'd be too shy to change in the locker room when I was wearing a pad (much less a pullup) and always changed for gym in a bathroom stall. While some girls on my hockey team for example (I always wore shorts under my equipment), would have no problem showering with a tampon string hanging there, I could never do it... 

On the pad or pull-up versus nappy debate... I know a lot of people with bladder problems want to feel they're still wearing "normal" or "adult" underwear more than just about anything else. So a pad that fits in your regular underwear is the easiest option to come to terms with, then behind that the pull-up style which you can still remove easily to use the toilet, then the tape-on product which you can't pretend is anything other than a nappy.

So a highly absorbent pad will appeal to many, but the bulk, as you say, might make it more obvious than a nappy under some clothing! Then obviously there's the positioning issue. I've always thought that pads and pull-ups work for leakage or perhaps a heavier wetting in a standing position, for example when you're trying to get to the toilet but don't quite make it. If you're likely to have a substantial loss of control in another position, the nappy is the only thing that will really handle it. But it's also pretty much accepting you're not going to make it to the toilet.

On 1/21/2018 at 7:43 AM, nappypants said:

On the pad or pull-up versus nappy debate... I know a lot of people with bladder problems want to feel they're still wearing "normal" or "adult" underwear more than just about anything else. So a pad that fits in your regular underwear is the easiest option to come to terms with, then behind that the pull-up style which you can still remove easily to use the toilet, then the tape-on product which you can't pretend is anything other than a nappy.

So a highly absorbent pad will appeal to many, but the bulk, as you say, might make it more obvious than a nappy under some clothing! Then obviously there's the positioning issue. I've always thought that pads and pull-ups work for leakage or perhaps a heavier wetting in a standing position, for example when you're trying to get to the toilet but don't quite make it. If you're likely to have a substantial loss of control in another position, the nappy is the only thing that will really handle it. But it's also pretty much accepting you're not going to make it to the toilet.

When I was growing up and struggling with UI issues, I'd always wear a pad whenever I could, and never a pullup (during the day, night times I found pads useless). I'd only ever wear a pullup during the day when I had no choice (like long exams, long car rides and that sort of thing, as I found pads no so good for sitting down wettings or multiple leaks/accidents). 

One of the ready-excuses I had in case anyone saw the bulky(ish compared to this giant) pad in my undies, was that I was having a really heavy period. I usually avoided people seeing my underwear as often as I could, like changing in a bathroom stall for gym and that sort of thing. But changing for hockey and the such made panty revealing inevitable. I did confuse a few girls on my team who were certain I was the most irregular girl in the world. 

Actually, it was interesting, as because started wearing pads at an early age (9/10), they actually made me feel more grown up. I was the person my close friends came to when they forgot their pad or had an unexpected (or first) period, because they all found out, one way or another, that I wore pads (but usually didn't know the real reason). So I can definitely weigh in on the whole pads are more dignified than pullups discussion.

• 6 years later...

Have you ever tried wearing those  tena Ultra night pads? Is it really that bulky and visible as ,,xxxxx" said? I was wondering that maybe i would try to order them into a pick up point,and then i would go on my first short holding  trip,especially with a full bladder but i want to be confident as it will be my first walk with this thing. Maybe i should do a post about it? 🤔