Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

How long do you pee for?

All healthy mammals (that includes you and me), except for very tiny mammals, empty a full bladder in around 21 seconds. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/theres-a-universal-law-of-urination-in-mammals-2796206/ Even elphants, which have up to a 42 gallon bladder, empty themselves in that time. Imagine getting blasted with two gallons of pee per second.

This increases if there's a medical issue, like an enlarged prostate in men.

I am about the same as others about 20 seconds for a normal average pee. 30 seconds or more  of peeing means I had to go pretty bad. At the extremes of my bladder capacity it takes just over a minute to finish peeing. I use that term because at that point , with my bladder extremely and painfully distended my bladder can not empty all at once. It must contract to its normal size first. This is why a second urgent need to pee comes quickly after a long hold.

As I have gotten older-I am - 65- my ability to hold my pee as well as the strength of my stream have both declined, thanks to a somewhat enlarged prostate. I think on balance a full bladder release time is about the same. A "normal "pee takes a bit longer than it used to.

8 hours ago, Fishy said:

After reading this thread, I've timed myself the last two times I've gone to pee after getting the urge to go. I didn't force it out and both times they came in at ~15 seconds. I've been unsure for a while as to whether my bladder is just small, weak, or overactive. Seeing that this is a bit below average is interesting.

Did you measure how much you can pee at once ? I also pee for approx 15 seconds, a bit more if I'm really desperate but my bladder is actually a bit bigger than average (my max capacity is 1000mL), I just have a very strong stream. The time alone is not an indication that your bladder is small or weak !

57 minutes ago, Ely said:

Did you measure how much you can pee at once ? I also pee for approx 15 seconds, a bit more if I'm really desperate but my bladder is actually a bit bigger than average (my max capacity is 1000mL), I just have a very strong stream. The time alone is not an indication that your bladder is small or weak !

No, not yet. If I can find a way to measure the amount, I will! It would be interesting to find out the exact details! However, I don't live alone, so I'll probably have to go out and buy a measuring jug or something.

The reason why I was unsure is that I don't feel like I can hold my pee for as long most people. It seems like I become desperate pretty quickly and I'm usually prone to some small leakage if I try to hold it for a while. I usually drink quite a bit of water when I'm at home, but it feels like I should be peeing more than I am if I'm desperate. Maybe I should spend a day while I'm home alone making notes and seeing just how long I can hold on for. I didn't think it would, but the prospect makes me pretty excited! ;)

If both men and women pee for the same amount of time, that would surprise me in a way. Because I always thought that because women have a shorter (and possibly wider) urethra, they can pee at a higher rate then men.

So if both men and women take the same time, that would mean that pee a higher volume. Simply because they can let more out in those +/- 20 seconds. Does that make any sense?

3 hours ago, Fishy said:

Maybe I should spend a day while I'm home alone making notes and seeing just how long I can hold on for.

That sounds like a good idea to test your theory. Especially if you combine it with the amount that you pee afterwards.

6 hours ago, ItsMeAmanda said:

If both men and women pee for the same amount of time, that would surprise me in a way. Because I always thought that because women have a shorter (and possibly wider) urethra, they can pee at a higher rate then men.

So if both men and women take the same time, that would mean that pee a higher volume. Simply because they can let more out in those +/- 20 seconds. Does that make any sense?

That sounds like a good idea to test your theory. Especially if you combine it with the amount that you pee afterwards.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'll see if I can measure the amount normally and after holding. Then I can compare the difference.

10 hours ago, Fishy said:

No, not yet. If I can find a way to measure the amount, I will! It would be interesting to find out the exact details! However, I don't live alone, so I'll probably have to go out and buy a measuring jug or something.

The reason why I was unsure is that I don't feel like I can hold my pee for as long most people. It seems like I become desperate pretty quickly and I'm usually prone to some small leakage if I try to hold it for a while. I usually drink quite a bit of water when I'm at home, but it feels like I should be peeing more than I am if I'm desperate. Maybe I should spend a day while I'm home alone making notes and seeing just how long I can hold on for. I didn't think it would, but the prospect makes me pretty excited! ;)

I don't live alone anymore either but sometimes I'm home alone and I have a measuring jug ! Doing omorashi things to myself usually don't do anything to me but exploring my bladder capacity was really interesting. Maybe I'll do it again in 2-3 months to see if anything changed. Also, if you drink a lot of coffee or/and tea, it's normal to pee often since it's bladder irritating. 

21 hours ago, Ely said:

Wow I’d love to hear how powerful you must pee to release 1000ml in 15 seconds really impressive must be amazing relief 

40 minutes ago, New_Macca said:

Wow I’d love to hear how powerful you must pee to release 1000ml in 15 seconds really impressive must be amazing relief 

Oh no, I mean, I usually pee in 15 seconds but when I'm really at my limit it lasts longer, I think it might take approx 20 seconds for me to pee 1L !

12 minutes ago, New_Macca said:

That still must be super powerful and thick gushing stream you produce I bet feels wonderful relief to go that powerfully and sounds magical

Well, actually, the relief is not that good, maybe because doing omorashi things to myself doesn't turn me on but it doesn't really feel better when I push it out to pee faster ! I initially developped this ability because I hated the feeling of a bursting painfull bladder and wanted to get rid of the sensation as fast as possible, and also because I feared that someone might open the toilet door when I was in grade school (but that's an other story) and I kept the habit somehow.