Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

New to anime, what should I watch?

A few ones I can recommend:

Some pretty popular ones:

Hunter x Hunter (2011) - A really fun action adventure-type anime. It explores quite a few philosophical and religous themes and ideas, and some would say it gets quite dark at points. It goes on pretty long, so that might be a negative. Overall a high-spirits good time though.

My Hero Academia - A popular newer action-type anime. Full of likeable characters, quality animation and great action scenes. I think most people who watch this one will get at least some enjoyment out of it.

Full Metal Alchemist, Brotherhood - A phenomenal mystery series. I know a lot of people who consider this their favorite. It's strongest point is it's great balance of intrigue, action and characters. I highly recommend.

Made in Abyss - I haven't finished this show, but many consider the first episode to be extremely strong, and I would tend to agree. I don't think the rest of the show that I watched is amazing, but I might come back to finish it later.

A few of my personal favorites:

Kaiji - an anime focused on gambling. The main draw of the series is the intrigue as the characters try to cheat, countercheat and develop different strategies for each gamble. I really like this show, but it's pretty niche.

Death Parade - A low-key anime about the souls of the dead being judged in a dimly-lit bar. Full of drama and the relations between people when they're pushed to the edge.

• 2 weeks later...

Sword Art  jkjk

Seeing that you favor darker material, if I'm not wrong, some recommendations:

Madoka Magica - stated above

Death Parade - stated above

Drifters - about historical figures that get transported to another world to fight against each other (note, this did the Isekai/Other World genre p good name)

Guilty Crown - a virus spreads across the world, and an independent military group was formed to restore order vs a guerilla group that oppose them (music was great)

Steins;Gate - will stay one of the most popular anime ever; "mad scientist" ends up making a contraption that can send messages into the past, and some crazy time stuff happens

Re:Zero - dude is randomly transported to another world, and is beaten to pulp after trying to save a girl. Later on, he offers to help her search for what she was looking for, but they are both murdered.... and our main character wakes up to the same scene he started at when he was transported to this world

Some of my favorites:

Re:Creators - a more recent anime, but it tells of a story where anime/manga/game characters were brought to our world (also great music)

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (Your Lie in April) - Story of which a violinist comes into a pianist's life, where she spurs him to become her accompanist, even after he is unable to hear himself playing the piano since the passing of his mother (is pretty emotional)

Shokugeki no Souma - literal foodgams, need I say more?

Aldnoah.Zero - *only the 1st season, 2nd season took the plot and threw it out the window* In the distant future, Earth and Mars had a war with each other, ending with a ceasefire. That all changes when a plotted assassination of the Ver's (Martian) princess while on Earth happens, and the war is reignited (also, great music, anyone see a pattern here? ;D)

Code Geass - one of the staples of the anime world; exiled prince of "Britannia" gets caught between Japan's resistance fighters and Britannia's armed forces, and is bestowed a power which allows him to control people

One-Punch Man is a great action-comedy about a hero who's depressed because he beats every opponent in a single hit. Lots of hilarity ensues from his nonchalant attitude towards everything, and it gets surprisingly relateable at times. It's only 12 episodes at the moment, though a second season is in the works.

I also second that recommendation for My Hero Academia. Cool action scenes, great characters, and a good pacing makes it one of the better action series to come out in recent times. Currently at two seasons (36 episodes) with a third coming next year.

And if you're looking for something really out there, try Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. It's an action series with lots of buff, fashionable dudes fighting progressively stranger battles against really strange enemies. The first part is admittedly not that great or weird, but it gets significantly better from part 2 onwards, with part 3 introducing the staples that the series is mostly known for. A solid recommendation if only so you'll know where the millions of internet memes come from.

On 08.12.2017 at 12:25 PM, DerivativeWings said:

Kaiji - an anime focused on gambling. The main draw of the series is the intrigue as the characters try to cheat, countercheat and develop different strategies for each gamble. I really like this show, but it's pretty niche.

It's awesome. If I was a girl, I'd surrender my body to Narrator without any second thoughts. If you liked this, you should also watch Akagi (where the main character is actually competent in what he's doing (besides, mahjong is very manly (so manly that it makes girls lust after other girls))).

1 hour ago, Kiriko said:

Soul Eater for sure.

While I'm more of a VN fan the entire Fate series starting with the 2006 DEEN series, while it's old and honestly doesn't age well it makes the next series Fate/zero and the followup Fate/Stay Night UBW alot more fun to watch.

If you're getting into Fate, you should really start with Unlimited Bladeworks. Nothing before that is really worth watching imo.

I'm pretty partial to Cowboy Bebop (pretty much a detective noir story set in space), though that could be because it was one of the first adult-oriented (non-Hentai) anime shows I ever watched. That along with Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I also suggest Samurai Champloo (made by the same guy who did Cowboy Bebop

And I'd suggest Ergo Proxy, dystopian cyberpunk type anime.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2017 at 11:58 PM, dabboi said:

Hey guys, thanks for your steady stream of replies. And also, to the person who brought up the Fate series, is there a specific order I should watch it in?
Sorry, I don't know how to quote on here.

Oh and one final question, the new anime on Toonami, Black Clover, is that any good?

OH GOD, *that* show. I had hopes for Black Clover, as the manga was apparently good enough to slot in the void that we have from several of the large shounen series ending, but the VA's voice and constant shouting threw me off before I could start the 3rd episode, and I usually have a 3 episode rule for myself :/.

For Fate, some would say to watch it in release order, which would make sense if you do end up watching the original FSN:

-Fate/Stay Night (Studio DEEN, 2006) is the 1st one, and is a somewhat optional watch because of it being older, less budget, and similar story to Unlimited Blade Works.

-Fate/Zero (Ufotable, 2011): prequel to FSN, there are some spoilers to FSN if you watch this, so you should watch it after FSN or FSN:UBW

-Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (Ufotable, 2014): also known as "Unlimited Budgetworks" and it basically sets the standard for Fate animation, as it is an eyegasm to watch. Its story is similar enough to the original FSN, where many people will recommend skipping FSN and watching this instead.

-Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel (Ufotable, 2017-?): An anime movie trilogy that covers the 3rd route of the FSN novel, but only the 1st movie has come out so far.

Below are other Fate series that take place in alternate timelines or other universes

Spinoffs:

-Fate/Apocrypha (A-1, 2017): An alternate series that can be watched stand-alone. Takes place in a universe that is not really connected to FSN

-Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA (Silver Link, 2013-?): Also a standalone that can be watched by itself. More magical girl-y.

I believe I covered the main Fate anime-only series, but there's a lot more material, as the anime is only the tip of the iceberg of the Nasuverse, lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2017 at 4:57 AM, ShowOffX said:

OH GOD, *that* show. I had hopes for Black Clover, as the manga was apparently good enough to slot in the void that we have from several of the large shounen series ending, but the VA's voice and constant shouting threw me off before I could start the 3rd episode, and I usually have a 3 episode rule for myself :/.

For Fate, some would say to watch it in release order, which would make sense if you do end up watching the original FSN:

-Fate/Stay Night (Studio DEEN, 2006) is the 1st one, and is a somewhat optional watch because of it being older, less budget, and similar story to Unlimited Blade Works.

-Fate/Zero (Ufotable, 2011): prequel to FSN, there are some spoilers to FSN if you watch this, so you should watch it after FSN or FSN:UBW

-Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (Ufotable, 2014): also known as "Unlimited Budgetworks" and it basically sets the standard for Fate animation, as it is an eyegasm to watch. Its story is similar enough to the original FSN, where many people will recommend skipping FSN and watching this instead.

-Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel (Ufotable, 2017-?): An anime movie trilogy that covers the 3rd route of the FSN novel, but only the 1st movie has come out so far.

Below are other Fate series that take place in alternate timelines or other universes

Spinoffs:

-Fate/Apocrypha (A-1, 2017): An alternate series that can be watched stand-alone. Takes place in a universe that is not really connected to FSN

-Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA (Silver Link, 2013-?): Also a standalone that can be watched by itself. More magical girl-y.

I believe I covered the main Fate anime-only series, but there's a lot more material, as the anime is only the tip of the iceberg of the Nasuverse, lol.

Black Clover is great, it's the dub that is the problem. Subs are the only acceptable way to watch any anime so you're not allowed to diss Black Clover until you've watched the Sub'd version. Anyone who's watched HxH for example will know dubbed Gon sounds nothing like the original japanese Gon.

On 11/1/2019 at 9:49 PM, WhATd0 said:

Black Clover is great, it's the dub that is the problem. Subs are the only acceptable way to watch any anime so you're not allowed to diss Black Clover until you've watched the Sub'd version. Anyone who's watched HxH for example will know dubbed Gon sounds nothing like the original japanese Gon.

I almost exclusively watch subbed anime, so yes. I mean the subbed version of Black Clover was bad for the 1st 3 episodes. Asta's yelling was grating on my nerves as I watched it. I heard it gets better tho, but I picked up the manga instead.