Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Should I Tell My Best Friend?

So I’m currently a sophomore in college. Throughout the last few weeks, I’ve been dealing with a small(ish) bedwetting issue. The last time I wet my bed consistently was halfway through junior year of high school. Now, like most people on this site, I enjoy a good wetting.

WHEN I’M IN CONTROL.

But the subconscious loss of control is kinda freaking me out a little, and with each day (and each incident), I feel really shitty when I wake up wet again. I am dorming, and I’m afraid I’m ruining the mattress. I’m terrified of my roommate finding out (we’re not THAT close yet), and I don’t know how to sneak in a water mattress. I actually don’t know how that works at all. Never used it cuz I always kept my bedwetting a secret from my mom (due to a mixture of embarrassment and not wanting to pile on to her pressure of being a single mom with 4 kids). So I guess I just want someone to confide in about this stuff. Should I tell my closest friend in the world? I’m a guy, and she’s a girl. She’s pretty much family to me. We live in different states now, so any confiding in her would be over the phone, be it call or text. I want to talk to her about stuff, but I’m afraid of how she’ll react. Also, if I did tell her, would it be awkward the next time I see her in person? Would it even come up? Or would it like, change her perception of me?

For protecting your bed, by the way, you could always use either a plastic protective sheet, or even better, an absorbent, washable throw. You can buy these on Amazon, they hold up to 3l and are washable - so if you have an accident, it will deal with it.

Unless your friend is particularly judgmental, I strongly doubt she would think less of you for confiding. It may even bring you closer, with her knowing that you see her as so trustworthy with something mildly embarrassing. Adult bedwetting isn’t exactly unheard of and for many is simply an unfortunate medical issue.

I doubt it would be more than superficially awkward when you meet up with her either unless you decide to share a bed with her overnight - but even then, if you’re open with her, you need only talk her through the precautions you have to take. If you’re not sharing a bed, I don’t think it would even come up lol.

On 11/15/2017 at 11:23 AM, WetDave said:

If she reacts badly or ridicules you then I would guess that perhaps she’s not best friend material after all. 

The bedwetting may be due to your change in circumstances (going to college) causing some stress. When you get settled and comfortable in your new routine it may pass. Hopefully someone here with more experience in this than me can comment. 

But its my second year dorming tho...i never dealt with these issues last year :(

Anyway, i wet my bed again last night and discovered that my laundry card was cleaned out (I've done like too many loads of laundry since this all started). Then the refil machine broke so now i have a smelly bag of laundry sitting under my bed. 

I keep typing out the message to my friend but i always chicken out. I know i'm probably not giving her enough credit but i'm really scared this might change our friendship

27 minutes ago, taiwanese1897 said:

Anyway, i wet my bed again last night and discovered that my laundry card was cleaned out (I've done like too many loads of laundry since this all started). Then the refil machine broke so now i have a smelly bag of laundry sitting under my bed. 

I keep typing out the message to my friend but i always chicken out. I know i'm probably not giving her enough credit but i'm really scared this might change our friendship

I would just tell her at this point having someone to talk to about it probs help.

Guest Soma-Matic

I've told a few friends, and it was a shrug... they have their things I have mine. I've never told a female friend..... I'll put it this way even if it goes wrong you will find out who your real friends are. Real friends love you for you.... through the good the bad, the weird, the normal, the fun and the bland. Don't ever be ashamed of who you are as long as you aren't hurting anyone :) .