Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Another College Assignment Survey

Ugh; our instructor basically copy-pasted the same format for our previous big assignment with a different topic. This time it's technology / social media versus education. I was able to make a link to the survey so all you have to do is click bubbles for answers. It takes about 1 minute or less to do. Thanks again, guys! This should be the last one.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BWYPD7D 

59fe72535eb13_surveyquestions.thumb.png.8bea833321425cd12595face9b58db2c.png

It feels like your instructor has a bit of an agenda here. I especially think question four is badly worded as it clearly implies traditional teaching methods, i.e. chalk and talk, is the gold-standard for instruction. Even if they think that themselves a poll should be neutrally worded.

I'm a teacher by profession and I try to chalk and talk as little as possible. It's clearly and measurably worse in terms of engagement and retention than lesson plans that integrate technology and collaborative learning.  

That said my students aren't allowed mobile phones in class and I discourage social media use at home as cyber bullying is a bane of my existence, my students are 11-12 I'd have a different position for High Schoolers.

Anyways I did your poll, my comments were just if you wanted some talking points. :)

22 hours ago, WaityKaty said:

I especially think question four is badly worded as it clearly implies traditional teaching methods, i.e. chalk and talk, is the gold-standard for instruction.

It's also worded in a way that implies they haven't already, which they most certainly have.

This is obviously anecdotal experience in one area of study, but I've learned more in a self-paced $15 mobile development class with 24 hours of lectures from udemy than I would have in an outdated $300 fixed schedule class from my local community college, and I get to keep that content for future reference indefinitely.

The issue I have with this is that it's highlighting handsets and not things like laptops or tablets.

You're more likely to use your phone for procrastination (texting, social media) than a physical laptop I imagine.

If I was in a uni lecture and I either had a book and a phone, or a book and a laptop, I feel I would get more done on a laptop.

I know there's the argument that you can get on social media and talk to people online, but you also have better access to things on a laptop than you would a phone.

But yeah it seems very biased in the way things are worded.