Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

malefemale Bye Bye plastic pants

At the back of our linen cupboard two pairs of very old plastic pants had lain scrunched up and forgotten for about 20 years.  They came to light when we cleared out before some plumbing work was done.  They were still fairly supple but had mellowed with age-well the bits that had not already been yellow from use had got darker. It felt like meeting old friends who you had needed to rely on, but couldn't completely trust.

Originally provided for an elderly relative they came our way when we were staying at his home after he had moved into residential living. This was at a time when I first had the "urgency" that later led to 24/7 diapers.  My wife appropriated the pants for me to wear over my ordinary boxers in bed. She said it was in case of little leaks marking the sheets, but I think we both knew a wet bed wasn't an impossibility. Luckily that didn't happen as without a diaper the pants would have had "chocolate teapot" effectiveness.

The pants came home with us and were used on a "Just in case ,best be prepared" basis whenever the need arose.  We had used cloth nappies for the kids and some of these were used when we were unwell and I can remember having a bout of flu and not being very aware of much except that I didn't have to worry about peeing because I could feel the cloth under my bum and the not quite crinkly feel of the plastics.

I know I wasn't the only person to "borrow" the pants, but we didn't talk about it-they were just a resource that was always there in a bathroom cupboard and used as required.

Time went by and I became (probably) the sole user as oncoming incontinence meant night time protection was needed. I progressed (regressed?) from multiple pairs of underwear to small pads and a strange but ineffective system of pads on belts- but always with the old faithful and seemingly indestructible pants on top. Eventually an unexpected and inappropriate "in pants" accident left me wet and dirty with all my stubbornness gone. The next morning I woke up a bit wet and bought my first pack of "real" adult nappies.  I never wore the plastic pants again and had forgotten about them until they reappeared this month.

They probably should have been thrown out years ago, but despite the stained plastic and discoloured cloth edging, they were still serviceable. They must have been made of weapon grade materials and were certainly not built for comfort. I had hated the thought of wearing them at first, but later they gave me confidence and helped me cope at a difficult time.

Before chucking them in the bin I slipped a pair on over my nappy one last time. 

Edited by blisster (see edit history)