Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Yo! Bet you guys forgot about me for a bit, right? It's been a while since I last posted anything on this site, that much is for sure.

I decided that rather than putting all the content warnings in this opening author note, it might be better to make them all tags instead. As you can see, though, that got out of hand prety quickly... there's fifrteen of those fuckers because of it, and that's just all the basic stuff - it doesn't cover any of the other pairings which will take place should this story last long enough.

And to top it all off, all I have to show for it so far is a complete list of eye powers on Deviant Art and a really short prologue... but I should have more sometime soon. I'm slowly removing the roadblocks which have prevented me from writing recently, one at a time.

Anyway, without further ado, go ahead and read the prologue!

Breaking the Cycle

Prologue: That Which Cannot Be Replaced

“Big sis! Our clan is being attacked! We’re being wiped out one after another!”

The sound of metal seamlessly slicing through wood rang through the summer air as the double-edged katana in my right hand cleaved one of the solid wood targets set up in the Takamachi clan’s courtyard in two. The top half slid down the diagonal cut until it fell to the ground with a loud thud, the noise briefly drowning out the constant harmonious song of the cicadas in the trees which made up the area’s perimeter.

“They just killed Mom!”

“They killed Mom?! How did they even— no, it doesn’t matter! Take me to them right now! I’ll crush them all before they even notice I’m there!”

The memories burned into my brain gave me strength as I reversed the blade’s direction to make a second horizontal slice through the target made out of a section of thick tree trunk. My blade cut through it so swiftly that the top section which got severed didn’t move even a centimeter, but instead simply fell straight down into place so perfectly that it would be next to impossible for most people to even tell that there were two separate pieces.

“Mom was killed in a one on one battle! The one who did it is too strong for even you to handle! Their partner is on his way here as we speak, and his energy is even bigger than the one who took mom out!”

“I don’t care how strong they are! I can’t let them get away with—”

“They’re after you, sis! Mom died trying to keep them from getting to you! If you let yourself get captured or killed, her death will have been in vain! You have to escape!”

With a roundhouse kick too swift for the average person’s eyes to follow, my left foot sent the top piece of the trunk flying into one of the trees to my right, the impact causing the birds in that tree to fly away in terror. The tree itself cracked internally at the point of contact until the tree itself fell down into the courtyard, unable to support its own weight.

Yui… I won’t let you end up like mom or the rest of our clan.

I used the momentum of my kick to pivot on my other foot until I’d done a full rotation and once more stood facing what was left of my target. I jumped high into the air, easily eclipsing the height of the Takamachi clan’s two-floor complex until I could see the streets around it without any obstruction. As I began to descend, I swung the identical blade in my left hand downwards in a vertical arc with such force that I began to roll through the air like a swiftly spinning wheel of death.

No matter what it takes…

My left sword bisected the trunk cleanly in half from above so violently that both halves were forced backwards by the wind current that my overhead strike had generated. As my rotation came to a halt and my blade once again faced the sky, my feet landed in the spots where the two halves of my makeshift target were mere moments before, planted on either side of a gash in the earth beneath me created by the wind and my sword.

No matter who I have to kill…

I rushed forward, pivoting on the ground right as I got within striking distance of my next target: the tree in the center of the courtyard which towered over all of the trees along the perimeter. This tree was far thicker than all the others, to the point that cutting it down in a single slashing attack would be impossible. It struck me as quite the symbolic target, considering one of my opponents was strong enough to kill my mother, whom I’d never been able to defeat in a sparring match even once.

No matter what kind of insurmountable obstacles stand in my way…

As I spun around, my glossy black hair whipping around in the air and covering a lot of my gaze, I swung the sword in my right hand so close to the one in my left that my palms actually brushed against one another. My blade cut through a bit over a fourth of the trunk before me with ease. But before the gap my strike had created could even be narrowed a millimeter, my left sword passed through it fully extended and charged with electrical energy which increased my range and cutting power, slicing through the other half of the trunk of the tree as if it were butter.

As the tree I’d kicked part of my last target into did, this one began to fall inwards. Within a few seconds, it would fall onto me and crush me under its weight. Given that the energy which flowed throughout my body enhanced my body’s durability, this wouldn’t even be enough to break my bones, but if I just let it fall onto me, it would take out a not insignificant portion of the Takamachi clan’s complex with it. And it was quite possible that there were people in my friend’s clan in that part who would get killed as a result.

I swear I’ll save you…

But before it even dipped to a seventy degree angle with the ground, the manifestation of my energy, will and hatred materialized around me, stopping the tree in its tracks with its massive hands that only I could see. My blackish violet Divine Avatar gripped the tree and set it right back on its stump with such precision and gentleness that it did not fall again once it let go and the astral body dematerialized.

Even if the price for doing so is my life itself.

I sheathed my swords in their scabbards at my waist before placing my hands on the tree at the place where I’d cut it in two. I sent a portion of my energy into the tree, using it to make the stump and severed trunk slowly connect themselves back together. As I did, I remembered what my little sister said to me right before I made my escape that night one week prior.

“You’re more important than the entire rest of our clan! You need to survive, even if no one else does! You’re the only one of us who can’t be replaced, sis!”

Once I finished repairing the tree, I lowered my hands, beginning to walk off towards the exit to get a drink before coming out to train again. As I did, I began to reply to the what my younger sister had said to me. “That’s just it, Yui… to me, you’re the one thing that can’t be replaced. That’s why I’ll do everything in my power to save you, even if it costs me my own life as a result.”

Because to me, your life is far more precious than my own. That’s what being your big sister means… I have to protect you at all costs, even if it means putting myself at risk.

I didn’t have much time left before it’d be too late. Sooner rather than later, I knew I needed to start looking into the people who took her… but I needed to make sure I could beat them first. So for the time being, all I could do was train… and try to master as much of my newly unlocked power as possible.

Because I knew that if I just charged in as I was now, there’d be no way in hell I’d stand even a ghost of a chance.

Fun fact: this is one of the only installments in the entire first story arc that will be written from Kiriko's perspective. Most scenes will be written from perspectives of either observers of fights or the ones who will lose the fights in the chapter.

Anyway, not really much to say about this. If you're interested in learning about the eye powers in this AU and who will get each of them, I'll direct you to this Deviant Art Journal which explains them all in great detail, save for the one which is intentionally not revealed for major spoiler reasons.

Also, for those who read my other story, Asuna's Descent into Diaperhood, be advised that it will not be abandoned, nor will its sequel be... although my EoS story is in fact dead for now at the very least.

Other than that, there's not really a lot to go over. See you in chapter one!

Edited by writerforce6 (see edit history)