Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Retro Gamers?

Hoi! I was wondering how many people here still play old video games, either from growing up with them or adopting the passion later on.

Personally I'm very much a SEGA person myself. I never had any Nintendo consoles growing up. I have later gotten my hands on a Nintendo 64, but at my school we had 2 Mega Drives with Sonic games to use in free time.

Please share your thoughts, I'd love to know who else has a passion for retro games.

Guest FunkyPresident

Count me in! I still play with my Nintendo NES and SNES from my childhood. Even though I could play some of the game blindfolded at least once a week I find myself playing them. Lately I keep thinking about buy a Sega Game Gear or maybe a mega drive or even a master system, because in my family my older brothers always had nintendo consoles and I pretty much adapted. 

Now I'm curious, do you any favorite game? If I had to choose I'd go with Probotector for the NES and Contra II for the SNES

Guest FunkyPresident

Good choice, I used to play on the Mega Drive at my best friend's house and I confess I was envy because it seemed to me Sega had clearly the better graphics. By the way now that you mentioned I already started digging on eBay for the Game Gear and that glorious game called The GG Shinobi. How's the retro-gaming market where you live? Here in Italy is crazy expensive especially Nintendo :(

Hiiiiii~ I had an Atari of a model I can't remember because on was too young, An NES, a Sega Genesis, and a Nintendo 64. Anything newer than that doesn't really sound retro to me. As far as playing games, I still do all the time. I love emulators. And I have an EverDrive for my N64. I really live retro inspired indie games too!

Guest FunkyPresident
19 minutes ago, Neko-kun said:

Hiiiiii~ I had an Atari of a model I can't remember because on was too young, An NES, a Sega Genesis, and a Nintendo 64. Anything newer than that doesn't really sound retro to me. As far as playing games, I still do all the time. I love emulators. And I have an EverDrive for my N64. I really live retro inspired indie games too!

I always wanted to get a Retron 5, any of you ever tried it? One console with good compatibility with the actual cartridges/modules, seems cool 

17 minutes ago, FunkyPresident said:

I always wanted to get a Retron 5, any of you ever tried it? One console with good compatibility with the actual cartridges/modules, seems cool 

I've read quite a bit about them. They seem really nice if you already have the game collection. Unfortunately, pretty much my entire childhood was destroyed in a basement flood a long time ago so I don't have any of that stuff. And I refuse to pay what people wanna charge for it. Yay emulators.

Guest FunkyPresident
17 minutes ago, Neko-kun said:

I've read quite a bit about them. They seem really nice if you already have the game collection. Unfortunately, pretty much my entire childhood was destroyed in a basement flood a long time ago so I don't have any of that stuff. And I refuse to pay what people wanna charge for it. Yay emulators.

Damn, that sucks..and you're right, sometimes people ask obscene amount of money. I was lucky enough because both of my older brothers were, and are, the biggest nintendo fan and every birthday or special occasion they asked only nintendo games so I have quite a collection, especially for the original Nes. Sometimes emulators are the only way, I've seen Nintendo games sold for 150 euros each O_O

18 minutes ago, FunkyPresident said:

Damn, that sucks..and you're right, sometimes people ask obscene amount of money. I was lucky enough because both of my older brothers were, and are, the biggest nintendo fan and every birthday or special occasion they asked only nintendo games so I have quite a collection, especially for the original Nes. Sometimes emulators are the only way, I've seen Nintendo games sold for 150 euros each O_O

That's awesome! My older brother wasn't a gamer at all. My younger brother followed in my footsteps quite a bit but he's not as hardcore into it as i am. I'm that guy who was raised by Nintendo that you hear about.

Yeah, game prices are insane. Same with original controllers and other things you need for a good experience. I love gaming but I'm too happy with emulators.

The SNES was my first console, and I still hold it in high regards today. It's still in my closet ready to be hooked up and played again if I ever feel the urge. Same with every other system I owned; I can't bring myself to throw away any of my gaming stuff from my childhood.

In regards to emulation, I avoid it when possible. The only exceptions are when the game is obscenely expensive to acquire or has never been re-released digitally. That was the only way I could play Earthbound for my first playthrough back in 2011.

Guest FunkyPresident

Ohh..that feeling when you can just hook a console to the tv and start playing the game right away I really miss it, nowadays is just "waiting for update" that sometimes drive me nuts lol

I'm certainly not an old-school gamer by any stretch (first console was the Wii), but there's certainly a handful of older games. Mostly Mega Man. I have my issues with the designs of old games, with a lot of them just being unnecessarily difficult, but sometimes I'm surprised how well they hold up. I stand by the original Zelda has aged horribly, but the original Metal Gear is still pretty fun. And there are other old franchises I enjoy, like Castlevania, classic Sonic (Sonic 1 is the best), Metal Slug, more people need to play Splatterhouse, and please go play Rocket Knight Adventures, best game on the Genesis hands down.

Edited by Captain L (see edit history)

Awesome! Yeah, the times when you turned on a console and the game was already at the title screen in about 10 seconds, because they usually only displayed a few logos as an intro, and even so, you could skip it. Very few games these days allow you to skip that.

• 1 month later...

I never had a console as a kid, my parents were too poor.  We did, however, have a old, second hand, 386 computer that ran MSDOS.  My favorite games on that had to be the Space Quest series.  I'm not really into retro games, probably because the nostalgia simply isn't there for me, but sometimes, when I'm in the right mood, I'll still play through SpaceQuest using DosBox.