Do you guys find Gay Pride annoying?

Posted (edited)

The oppression is definitely not alleged considering all those awful anti-Transgender "bathroom bills" like HB2(not to mention that stupid cunt Betsy Devos taking away protections for Trans kids in schools), I can't be the only person who finds the notion of people lurking in restrooms trying to determine someone's gender creepy as hell.  If some creepy self-righteous asshole tried to pull that shit on me in a bathroom, i'd beat the shit out of them.

Edited by quintex96

Since I was not familiar with this "HB2" thing and no explanation was provided, I've googled it and this what came up as one of the first results:

"Transgender people who have not taken surgical and legal steps to change the gender noted on their birth certificates have no legal right under state law to use public restrooms of the gender with which they identify."

I fail to see if anything is wrong with this statement. If anything, if some creepy asshole tried to crawl into a bathroom with either of my little sisters and claim that it's actually a little girl (on the inside), making me stop after beating the shit out of them without causing permanent damage would quickly become one of its top priorities. This is another reason why we, the humanity, should find the middle ground wherever it's possible.

@quintex96 Please stop derailing the topic. This is the second time you've caused this thread to snowball into issues other than gay pride parades. Further attempts will result in action against your account.

Posted (edited)

This derails so much. In final thoughts

Gay people=Good

Gay Pride=Bad

Edited by EMT

Posted (edited)

Behold the internet, where a gay man starts a discussion with a variant of "I'm not homophobic, but..." Point taken, man, point taken. :tongue:

On 17.7.2017 at 4:24 AM, EMT said:

Gay people=Good

Gay Pride=Bad

I understand your point, but I'm not quite sure I agree. I sort of do, but then again, I kind of don't. This is a bit long-winded, please stay with me.

I'm gay and proud. Both things are not related to each other. I'm not proud of being gay, because that is not an achievement. I'm proud of my college degree, the patent I hold, my naturalization certificate, and the fact that I can run up ssix flights of stairs without breaking a sweat. All of these are achievents. My sexual orientation is not.

So far we are in agreement.

I can also see why you would be annoyed by the "IN YOUR FACE" type of gay pride. Especially since you are gay yourself. I kind of get that feeling myself sometimes...

I want to go: "STOP BEING SO STEREOTYPICAL! YOU ARE PUSHING PEOPLE AWAY, YOU ARE HURTING YOUR POINT!" I ascribe this to what TVTropes calls "Don't shoot the message". The page quote over there pretty much sums it up. "There's nothing I like less than bad arguments for a view I hold dear." — Daniel Dennett.

I'm also terribly annoyed with TV producers, forcing writers to put in gay characters because "inclusion". Fuck you, real equality would be the character being gay mentioned in passing, just like any other unimportant character trait. Or not mentioning it at all, unless it becomes relevant to the plot.

I get simmilarily annoyed by NRA pundits, even though I'm all for private gun ownership. Atheist activists get on my nerves, even though I'm a die-hard secularist (or, in more American words: I think separation of church and state is the best idea ever). I'm in favor of legalizing almost all drugs, but get the fucking "legalize it" crowd with they hemp leaf flags away from me. And oh dear lord, I wanna strangle bleeding-heart liberals, even though I'm 100% for state-funded public healthcare and progressive taxation. The list goes on, and on, and on...

There is just that extreme visceral reaction to people I agree with in principle, taking it too far. I have to think that

- people go over the top and hurt their point

- being stereotypical just confirms everyone's crooked world view

- being too aggressive about it pushes people further away, leading to the exact opposite of what you want.

At the same time, when you think about it for more than five minutes, that gut reaction of mine (and of yours?) is factually wrong.

First of all (and this is the minor of two points): Visibility is still good. Homophobia may not be a big issue for many people anymore (I'm a butch girl in an interacial lesbian relationship, and when I lived in rural Ala-fucking-bama, my biggest issue was the heat), transphobia probably still is to a degree, but yes, showing that there are more of us out there than some people probably think, is still a good thing. The suicide rate among LGBT teens (in or out, bullied or not), is still significantly higher than that of the general population. I'm in favor of being out, unambiguously, publically, and maybe flaunting and celebrating yourself a little, for the same reason that I welcomed the "It gets better campaign" a few years back. Yes, it does help. There are still kids out there who need to learn that they are not alone, not freaks, and that the rest of their life will not be just more of the hell they are going through right now.

Second of all (and this is the major point), LGBT culture may not be real, but it sort of is.

Okay, one step back, for clarity: No, there is no a unitary LGBT community with uniform lifestyle and values, and no, you don't get a membership card the second you come out of the closet. People are individuals, and like different things. Me and my fiance have more in common with our redneck neighbors than we do with a Broadway musical producer from the upper echelons of NYC society. You know, beer, pickup trucks and semi-automatic rifles, instead of champagne, fine art, and imported European delicacies. (My apologies to all rednecks and gay Broadway musical producers, I'm just trying to make a point here).

BUT, (and that's the big BUT),  while people do not choose to be gay, they do choose the community they want to belong to. People make the choice to define themselves by all kinds of things. Unimportant lifestyle choices get declared a "way of life" all.the.time. There is a wine culture, a car tuning scene, footballs hooligans and ice hokey fans. People really declare this to be "what they are." Most teenagers are part of a sub-culture that is defined by the type of music they like. Metalheads, hip-hoppers, cybergoths, whatever. They stick together, wear the same clothes, listen to the same music (loudly, in public), celebrate life in a particular way... well, by that measure, there IS an LGBT community. In the form of a very real sub-culture.

No, when a bunch of bearded men put on tiny booty shorts and dance to techno under a rainbow flag, they do not represent "all gays and lesbians and trans people". But neither do a bunch of of kids in Metallica shirts who drink beer represent "all thrash metal fans". They are doing the same thing: Celebrating life together as close-knit group with common interests. Being so loud about it in public isn't for me, but by god, they have every right to do so.

It's called indidividual freedom, and it's the core value of western civilization. And that's the main reason why San Fransico is not Teheran.

Edited by randomkath

I'm homosexual and I find it annoying... I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but seriously? Just keep it to yourself...

On 7/9/2017 at 4:15 PM, trackboy said:

I enjoy gay pride. its a required pilgrimage for us gay guys. part of having our gay card.  Love being able to be             totally open at a gay pride parade and be totally accepted instead of having to get in fights to         defend myself from being beat up for being gay when I am out and about holding hands with and kissing a guy when out and about walking around.  I have had class mates jump me for being gay.  The other gay boys at school that are not as athletic and muscular as me got beat up a lot for being gay. suicides are common among gay teens because of their being hated and bullied for being gay. Had a class mate try to kill me with a knife just for me being gay. I shattered his arm when he tried to kill me.  There is a lot of homophobia out there. a lot of hatred of gay guys that is still accepted and even encouraged by many groups like rednecks for example. There is a lot of hate by many people of anyone that is different. One example is the klu klux klan rally in Charlottesville in Carolina.  Watch the movie Selma for examples of how people hate anyone that is different. Republicans tend to be anti gay and want to do away with the hard won gay rights we have achieved in many states. They want to return us to a time when you were fired for being gay. denied housing and basic human rights. when packs of people would hunt down and beat up gays just for being gay. I read in the gay news letter a while back here about three truck loads of young men armed with two by fours going to a gay hangout at a park  in des moines iowa and gay bashing the gay guys there.  In the middle east muslims throw you off of the roofs of buildings or stone you to death for being gay. 

"The gay news letter"?

Look, I don't pretend violence against gays isn't a real thing. Or homophobia.

But you have told stories about travelling to other countries enjoying bladder bursting experiences, this near death experience, and claim you are on sports teams made up of apparently nothing but homosexual jocks who enjoy desperation.

Point blank, I don't believe a word of what you type, and while I don't care about that on the desperation board, because I believe this is a place someone who wants to live out those fantasies should, it really weakens your arguments when you try and share stories about actually serious topics such as on this topic. 

I don't pretend to know what your deal is, but I do know that you make things up, constantly. You apparently live in a VERY homophobic place, as your post above shows, yet have a team of homosexual jocks. You apparently are very well travelled, but have yet to master what is ostensibly your first language.

Again, I really don't care when it comes to sharing your fantasies, but since nearly everything you have typed before is fantasy that you claim to be real, I really have no idea how to react to this story you linked above... except that I dislike it, because it seems very disingenious to something that is a REAL problem. If it's a true story, then I apologize, but.. it's completely incongruous to everyhting else you've posted.

18 hours ago, LOLC2k said:

"The gay news letter"?

Look, I don't pretend violence against gays isn't a real thing. Or homophobia.

But you have told stories about travelling to other countries enjoying bladder bursting experiences, this near death experience, and claim you are on sports teams made up of apparently nothing but homosexual jocks who enjoy desperation.

Point blank, I don't believe a word of what you type, and while I don't care about that on the desperation board, because I believe this is a place someone who wants to live out those fantasies should, it really weakens your arguments when you try and share stories about actually serious topics such as on this topic. 

I don't pretend to know what your deal is, but I do know that you make things up, constantly. You apparently live in a VERY homophobic place, as your post above shows, yet have a team of homosexual jocks. You apparently are very well travelled, but have yet to master what is ostensibly your first language.

Again, I really don't care when it comes to sharing your fantasies, but since nearly everything you have typed before is fantasy that you claim to be real, I really have no idea how to react to this story you linked above... except that I dislike it, because it seems very disingenious to something that is a REAL problem. If it's a true story, then I apologize, but.. it's completely incongruous to everyhting else you've posted.

yes there is a news letter sent to the gay clubs and gay student groups and gay people that want to be on its mailing list for the state. neighboring state has one too. I have not been to the middle east! I just posted articles about the anti gay muslims. how gays are killed in muslim countries just for being gay.  You don't have to be gay to enjoy desperation. many males straight and gay like the full feeling to some extent. many others don't like the gay feeling. some like it a lot. some like it a little.  Your bladder gets full a lot in sports as you drink a lot. was just a article linked to on here about    nfl players busting for a piss in their games from the heavy hydration. If your really busting you can go pee. but most players just hold it until practice or game is done. And I personally like having my bladder  really full when playing football. when wrestling. when running track or just out for a run.  And also when lifting weights.  Waking up really desperate is the best feeling of  all for me. 

I think gay pride parades are annoying and bad for LGBT community.

And here's why: how I view gays and lesbians? As completely normal people, who happen to be intimate with a different person, but 99% of the time they are the same as I am. I DON'T CARE what anyone does in bed. And since I DON'T CARE (and most other people don't as well), I don't understand why these people keep bringing up their sexuality, keep reminding us of how they are DIFFERENT and still want to be treated like equals, and lastly, the have an entire parade where they show their intimacy, jumping around half naked, kissing and licking each other and at the same time saying how their sexuality is their privacy and is nobody else's business.

I have a piss fetish. I don't tell that to everybody I meet, I don't make or attend any "piss pride parades" to show all the world how I like piss, I don't view myself as different from anyone else, because 99% of time, I actually am the same as most other people. My fetish is an entertainment I arouse myself with occasionaly, not a lifestyle my whole life revolves around. 

Pride parades make LGBT community look like they're obsessed with their own sexuality. And since sexuality is a thing that should stay away from children, many people are against gay adoptions, although they agree with gay marriages. That's exactly what happened in our country - a law legalizing gay marriages was rejected TWICE because the left wing is too stubborn to exclude gay adoptions, because of which the whole law is rejected.

There will be a lot more equality and a lot less homophobia when gays and lesbians will be shown to public as completely normal people (most of which ARE), and not as sex-obsessed maniacs as the pride parade makes them look. 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, slovenc79 said:

There will be a lot more equality and a lot less homophobia when gays and lesbians will be shown to public as completely normal people (most of which ARE), and not as sex-obsessed maniacs as the pride parade makes them look. 

Precisely.

I have the same issue with Black Pride as Gay Pride, it sounds like you're proud you are category X and not those filthy category Y people. I thought discrimination and separation into categories and denominations should be avoided at all costs. Why then LITERALLY have special faction banners for people who want to be seen as equal?

Edited by Pc Genie
Saved prematurely because I pressed tab then space instead of caps then space.

3 hours ago, Pc Genie said:

Why then LITERALLY have special faction banners for people who want to be seen as equal?

Right. I especially like the one I hear very often, "equality FOR WOMEN". Some equality, favoring just one part of society. 

I don't mind gay people and what they do, like I have a couple of gay friends that are cool, but I'm not much for the "In your face" type of gay. There's this one guy in my law class that makes it as obvious as possible that he's gay. I'm not saying like he talks extremely feminine (which he does), I'm talking like "Oh this guy is cute, I want to date him" kind of talk but as loud as possible. He literally flirts with every guy and gets in my personal space everyday in that class. I would fight him if he starts grabbing me but it would feel like punching a girl in a way.No one actually cares about him going around and flirting with guys because "oh how cute, he's flirting with that guy" and no one takes him seriously. It's the same situation if a girl was flirting with you, no one really cares unless you do something rude that either hurts her or makes her feel bad. So all the sudden your the asshole even though the girl was taking it too far. This the same situation with gay people because if they act feminine enough, it's pretty much like dealing with a girl. Like gay people have the power to flirt with guys as much as possible while still being innocent. It's ridiculous and unfair, but that's just for gay people that pushes it too far. Otherwise I don't really care what they do, like throwing parades or getting married.

Edited by PrettyNice

On 7/16/2017 at 10:24 PM, EMT said:

Gay people=Good

Gay Pride=Bad

Gay pride has its roots in gays and lesbians seeking recognition, validation and visibility.  Wanna know why?

'Cause shit like this was pretty heavily prominent NOT TOO LONG AGO. And to a certain degree, still is among certain areas of the United States. Let alone the world at large, wherein some places homosexuality is still a crime.

It's just to say "We're here in larger numbers than you believe. It's not a shameful thing to be. Recognize us."

You may find it annoying, but you're like... what? Are you even old enough to drink yet? Who gives a shit what you think?

8 hours ago, dontwanna said:

Gay pride has its roots in gays and lesbians seeking recognition, validation and visibility.  Wanna know why?

'Cause shit like this was pretty heavily prominent NOT TOO LONG AGO. And to a certain degree, still is among certain areas of the United States. Let alone the world at large, wherein some places homosexuality is still a crime.

It's just to say "We're here in larger numbers than you believe. It's not a shameful thing to be. Recognize us."

You may find it annoying, but you're like... what? Are you even old enough to drink yet? Who gives a shit what you think?

You don't debate an opinion by saying no one gives a shit what I think. That's really toxic and doesn't take this debate anywhere. I feel like you really only read the title of the topic. I'm fine with homosexuality, for fucks sake I'm gay myself, but gay pride doesn't help normalize gayness at all. All it does is back up the stereotype of gay people being sexual deviants. And yes, homophobia was a very strong thing in the past. Key word: the past. We shouldn't ignore that it happened, but we also shouldn't think that's still how things are. And guess what, we are recognized. So if that's the point of gay pride, what's it's reason to exist now? I for one don't want to be recognized for my sexuality. If that's my first characteristic, I must be a really boring person. If you want to be respectful and continue this discussion, that's fine, but throwing insults will get you no where.

I'm going to add my mod voice to this. Statements like this one:

19 hours ago, dontwanna said:

...are immature and detract from having a meaningful discussion about a topic. You don't have to agree with each other but you will be polite and respectful or I will revoke your access to the debate forum.

12 hours ago, OmoCommando said:

I'm going to add my mod voice to this. Statements like this one:

...are immature and detract from having a meaningful discussion about a topic. You don't have to agree with each other but you will be polite and respectful or I will revoke your access to the debate forum.

I love you so much. Your voice of reason is great. 

On 7/9/2017 at 10:57 AM, BENAir01 said:

I understand how you might find it annoying but I don't.

Btw the only reason there is no straight parade is because no one has bothered to make one. If you want to start it, feel free. 

We can't feel free to do it because reasons we haven't don't it is because it'll get bashed and ridiculed by people like Major gay pride figures, SJWs, and other groups. They'd see this as "Straight Privelege" or something. Sorry if this is off topic or anything, I just started reading this and had to respond to this.

Now something on topic, I don't find the gays annoying, as long as they respect me and my beliefs, I'll respect theirs. I'm just tired of people using them being Gay to win an argument, or guilt someone. 

Edited by EthanDaOmoWIz

16 hours ago, OmoCommando said:

I will revoke your access to the debate forum.

mmkay

On 7/14/2017 at 12:29 AM, quintex96 said:

Definitely don't agree with at at all.

Any particular reason why you dont agree?

I’ve got to admit, although I don’t agree with the harsh language used by @dontwanna, he does make a good point. Gay pride marches were originally set up to raise awareness of the LGBTQ community, at a time when not only did people not accept being gay, they didnt even understand what it was like to be one. It started at a time when people thought gays were mythical beasts, and having a march of relatively normal people could not only open their eyes to the fact that gay people are nice, but the fact that they are even people. Although now a days a lot of people in America, for example, are accepting, I personally think that it is a nice tradition, and a nice little way to celebrate the fact that people are largely accepting in the present time. 

I totally get where ither people are coming from, and yes people in gay marches, such as myself, can be a little brash and over exaggerating, and I can see how others who already aren’t accepting would find it overwhelming and think it was how all gay peope were like all the time, and that certainly isn’t the goal, but I see gay pride marches more as a celebration that we can do that then an attempt to get people to accept us.