Do you guys find Gay Pride annoying?

Now before we even start, I'm going to say I'm not homophobic, I'm gay myself after all. But every time I hear of or see a gay pride parade, ad, etc etc. I can't but roll my eyes. It seems like something that's really dumb to celebrate. Yes, I like people with the same genitalia as me, but that's nothing to celebrate. Straight people don't get parades for liking the opposite sex. And a lot of the people at those events dress like, for lack of a better word, freaks and just perpetuate the stereotypes. What's your guy's thoughts on this? 

For me, the concept of this so-called "pride" is faulty by design for the very same issue that EMT just mentioned:

17 hours ago, EMT said:

Yes, I like people with the same genitalia as me, but that's nothing to celebrate. Straight people don't get parades for liking the opposite sex.

Okay, I get it, you like people of the same sex, but where's the achievement in that? Why is there gay pride, but no blonde pride, brunette pride, redhead pride, loli pride, MILF pride, etc. It's just a matter of preference. I take pride in what I do and what I achieve by doing the things that I do. And I respect others for what they achieve by doing things their way. I perfectly understand the pride of a scientist, worker, artist, politician - anyone who achieved the results they desired or at least tried to do so, regardless of their sexuality, ethnicity or whatever. It's the result that matters. The result and their devotion that made it possible to achieve. The devotion that led to results that were only achieved generations later also matter, but for some reason we don't have Galileo parades. Those who participate in the so-called "pride" parades basically confirm that the only thing they take pride in is their sexual preferences. I'm sorry, guys, but that's lame.

Moreover, they also pretend that there's some kind of "LGBT community", while the only community that truly exists is that of the people, which includes straight people, gay people, trans people and all other kinds of us humans. Those, however, instead of working towards the further integration and worldwide acceptance, are doing their utmost to atomize the society by publically declaring that "we're like this and you're like that", willingly labeling themselves as pariahs. As if we, the humanity, didn't have enough reasons to argue among each other without them.

In before "but it's not like this!!!". It is like this. It's like feminism: the original idea was hijacked by the vocal minority of permatriggered tumblerinas.

Maybe it's because I live in a small town in a Bible Belt state, but I've never seen such pride parades outside of works of fiction, and the three openly homosexual people I've met(1 of them the guy who beat me out for Valedictorian in highschool, the other two my niece and her girlfriend) have never stood out in any way that would hint at their sexual preferences. I also avoid the mega social sites for the cesspools of human culture that they are, and thus avoid the worst of homosexuals(and everyone else) making a fool of themselves online.

So no, I can't say I've ever found gay pride annoying.

I understand how you might find it annoying but I don't.

Btw the only reason there is no straight parade is because no one has bothered to make one. If you want to start it, feel free. 

39 minutes ago, BENAir01 said:

I understand how you might find it annoying but I don't.

The "annoying" part comes from how it's blown out of proportion it is. Every group of individuals that share the same trait can hold its own event every now and then. Things like anime cons, cosplay parties, halloween - since humans are social animals, we like to be along the group we belong to. It allows us to discuss things that we like and dislike, share the latest news, find new friends and so on. But that's just it. A close social event for a group of friends. In other words, I understand how you understand how we might it annoying and why you don't ^_^.

50 minutes ago, BENAir01 said:

Btw the only reason there is no straight parade is because no one has bothered to make one. If you want to start it, feel free. 

Fufu. What a subtle trick to spark up a civil war. But when I get obscenely rich, I'll hold a maid parade in front of my mansion. Because why not?

I'm not annoyed by their existence, I'm annoyed by the fact they're doing it wrong.

Its not to celebrate the fact that they like the same sex, its to celebrate that they are now in a better caste of society than they ever were. After so long they can go out in the streets and say "I'm a big homo!" and not be stoned to death (unless this is a parade in Russia) and just generally celebrate and be happy that they now have an accepted place in society, they can be open and unafraid now.

Which is why it annoys me that:

4 hours ago, Lisk said:

however, instead of working towards the further integration and worldwide acceptance, are doing their utmost to atomize the society by publically declaring that "we're like this and you're like that", willingly labeling themselves as pariahs

Why is it that most of them, in these parades, are going out of their way to push the fact that they are black sheep, despite the newfound acceptance they've received? The point is not to alienate others and become self inclusive now that you've pushed your way out of being in that place yourself. That's just dumb, and as a VERY bi woman that pisses me off. You're not there to celebrate the fact that you're different, you're there to celebrate the fact that you CAN be different in this time period and make it by relatively unscathed and accepted by society.  Stahp it.

I dont mind gay people at all, i have a few gay friends myself, what i hate is the gay pride parade things that involve politics into it, THAT is getting annoying, gay people can now get married anywhere they choose so what are they arguing about still? 

Posted (edited)

Bi guy here. I'm not annoyed by the presence of pride; rather, I recognize the important place it has. The point to pride is not to be extra-proud of yourself for being LGBT. That's dumb and completely counterproductive. The point is to dissolve homophobia, not only in others, but in the self. Some people aren't used to being able to say "I'm [x orientation] and that's okay." They need external support.

But on the first part, homophobia in others, the flamboyant sexed-up parades are not doing the job. It makes people think gays are obnoxious nymphomaniacs. And that certainly hurts their integration into normalcy. I understand the desire to go way off the deep end into outrageous actions and outfits as a sort of catharsis. But it's time to tone it down. In the club or bedroom, fine. But not if you're hoping to win hearts and minds. Straight people don't wear leather bondage gear and flaunt their goods in public either (usually.)

^^Brittanybunny, LGBT rights is still a hot-button issue in politics. We've got some supreme court wins on our side, but until gay prejudice is no longer even a slightly respectable opinion (similar to open racism today, doesn't generally fly) there will be political activism. Mike Pence is known to be overtly anti-gay, and would take away rights from that portion of the population. You can't support that kind of policy and say you want liberty and justice for all.

Edited by AliasnameTO

I enjoy gay pride. its a required pilgrimage for us gay guys. part of having our gay card.  Love being able to be             totally open at a gay pride parade and be totally accepted instead of having to get in fights to         defend myself from being beat up for being gay when I am out and about holding hands with and kissing a guy when out and about walking around.  I have had class mates jump me for being gay.  The other gay boys at school that are not as athletic and muscular as me got beat up a lot for being gay. suicides are common among gay teens because of their being hated and bullied for being gay. Had a class mate try to kill me with a knife just for me being gay. I shattered his arm when he tried to kill me.  There is a lot of homophobia out there. a lot of hatred of gay guys that is still accepted and even encouraged by many groups like rednecks for example. There is a lot of hate by many people of anyone that is different. One example is the klu klux klan rally in Charlottesville in Carolina.  Watch the movie Selma for examples of how people hate anyone that is different. Republicans tend to be anti gay and want to do away with the hard won gay rights we have achieved in many states. They want to return us to a time when you were fired for being gay. denied housing and basic human rights. when packs of people would hunt down and beat up gays just for being gay. I read in the gay news letter a while back here about three truck loads of young men armed with two by fours going to a gay hangout at a park  in des moines iowa and gay bashing the gay guys there.  In the middle east muslims throw you off of the roofs of buildings or stone you to death for being gay. 

7 hours ago, AliasnameTO said:

The point is to dissolve homophobia, not only in others, but in the self.

I'm going to counter that in saying that it only increases homophobia. The parades just scream "Look at us! We're different! Treat us differently!". Seeing/hearing that would be really off putting to someone not knowledgeable on LGBT. And the fact that a lot of participates dress up near naked and parade around just doubles how much it could turn someone away. Not to mention it totally reinforces stereotypes about gay people being flamboyant and different. It completely isolates gay people who fit more in line with more hetero stereotypes.

What bothers me is Bakersfield. The pride here is a glorified farmer's market without all the fruit. It has all of ten minutes of enjoyment. Oh and you have to PAY to get in. Our anime con sucks, it's about as fun as nails on a chalk board. But hey the rent is cheap so if you enjoy having nothing to do all year in your hometown then save some bucks and move on down! Oh and 110 degree weather.......with no beaches. But the rent is like 1000 dollars a month for a brand spanking new three bedroom house. 

The LGBTQ center in Bakersfield has been transformed into a borderline night club. They have no Youth events, everything is mixers for adults to hang out. They have actually blacked out their windows at certain "events." I miss the old center before they moved into this new building. My mom gave up on trying to fix it after several years with these people.

PFlag is the closest thing to a youth supporting group. But even then we have no Youth Specific events ever outside of that one single meeting that rolls by I believe every month might be two weeks. We do have meetings in the highschools, but if you happen to be homeschooled then go F*** yourself. Oh and only some high schools have a center inside them such as EBHS and BHS.

The only thing we have in Bakersfield is the suicide hotline for teens.

Please don't move here. Just find somewhere else with cheap rent. Move out of the state if you have to. It's not worth it. The cheap rent is not worth a damn cent in lead. Hell, move out of the COUNTRY if it's the only possible way to avoid Bakersfield. Like seriously, just get a passport, flee the country, just run.

I do a bit. I used to go to them, but the self-righteousness of the whole thing eventually got to me. Also all the virtue signalling from all the corporations. I can see how they would have a function in an area where gay people are under serious pressure, like Moscow, but in place like New York that's just not true anymore.

St. Patricks day parades started out like that, but they managed to transform from a political event into something everyone can enjoy. If pride can make that transition then it could be really fun again.

Is it weird that two of the three uncloseted homosexuals I've met are rednecks?

Also, gays have a long way to go to being able to get married anywhere, and even within the US, you still have states that will do everything in their power to oppose the Supreme Court Decision, and even then, said decision barely got enough votes to pass and I kind of agree with the descending Justice who said the Federal Government doesn't have the authority to define limitations on legal marriages.

And even if gay marriages were universally recognized, that's hardly the only place where the law has traditionally favored straights. As I understand it, Gay couples are still frequently placed under greater scrutiny than their straight peers when it comes to adoption if they aren't barred from adopting altogether.

And while I consider myself a straight ally, I confess I'm not sure I'd be so sympathetic if I had any evidence that the highly effeminate and annoying homosexuals you see on television actually existed in real life and weren't just caricatures based on a highly exaggerated stereotype.

20 hours ago, trackboy said:

its a required pilgrimage for us gay guys. part of having our gay card.

Interesting! I thought that the only thing that was required to join the club was falling in love with someone of the same gender, but apparently it isn't that simple! What kind of trials should the gay in training overcome during this journey, and who would bestow the title of the true gay upon them once they complete this trial? What does the ceremony entail?

1 hour ago, Lisk said:

Interesting! I thought that the only thing that was required to join the club was falling in love with someone of the same gender, but apparently it isn't that simple! What kind of trials should the gay in training overcome during this journey, and who would bestow the title of the true gay upon them once they complete this trial? What does the ceremony entail?

Lol so by that logic because I'm gender fluid/maybe sort of indecisively transgender, I should have to walk on hot coals in the middle of Alaska. Also where can I find the sap who invented the gay card, black card, white card ECT. Because I'd like to have them unbirthed. I don't care if it's in the form of time travel or just straight up murder. 

Furthermore, why don't straight white males have to go to their own pride? lol. Does that mean that they lose their  purist American card? (I'm just playing, nobody get a sick up their butts.)

A lot of gay guys talk about getting their gay card.  Its things a lot of gay guys do.  Like going to gay pride parades.  Many gay guys you could not tell they are gay unless they told you. while others act more like women then women do and there is no way they could hide being gay.     There is a nice book called the unofficial gay manual.  Teaches straights and gay guys new to the gay scene what it is like to be gay. It teaches about the different types of gay guys and many    other things about gay life.  Straights don't need their own pride as they can walk hand in hand with their  lovers kissing and no one hassles them about a boy girl couple kissing and holding hands. But when a boy boy or a girl girl couple walks down the side walks  or walks around at  various  events holding hands and kissing they get hassled for it. there is a lot of bullying of gays and lesbians and trans people.  There is a high suicide rate among gay teens.  Going to gay pride parades is very empowering for gay guys and lesbians.  Your among others like you and no longer a outsider that is shunned.  Or like I was told on here, that no one wants you here and to go away.  We can be open at pride.  No shirts short shorts or speedo for guys. leather jackets and motorcycles for lesbians. I have been bullied a lot for being gay. 

23 hours ago, trackboy said:

I enjoy gay pride. its a required pilgrimage for us gay guys. part of having our gay card.  

The thing is, I don't want a fucking card. I just want to be the same as everyone else. Who I fuck shouldn't put me above or below others.

55 minutes ago, OmoCommando said:

You were told to excuse yourself from specific roleplays because you were unwilling or unable to use basic grammar and dialogue conventions in your roleplays. Don't you dare imply other members were being homophobic when that literally was not the case.

Did he actually just play the victim card? Come on man.

2 hours ago, OmoCommando said:

You were told to excuse yourself from specific roleplays because you were unwilling or unable to use basic grammar and dialogue conventions in your roleplays. Don't you dare imply other members were being homophobic when that literally was not the case.

This. Omoorg is as open as it can get. I have never once been picked at on here for my preferences, I even dated a girl from here once. There has been no homophobic bullying going on.

(Unless someone reading this knows of some that has somehow slipped past mod radar or something in which case direct me to it so I can banhammer plsandthankyou <3)

I, myself, am bisexual and I find that "Gay Pride" is a fucking shitshow. As @KozmoFox said (Like the beautiful animal you are <3), people have turned the peaceful integration of the LGBT community into society, into an excuse to pull the "Homophobe" card and separate themselves from the rest of us by labelling themselves as pariahs and just furthering the gap between "normal" (for lack of a better word) people and the LGBT community.

Back in my school, there was this asshole kids who was very openly gay. I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with that, but if you so much as looked at him wrong, or even mentioned the LGBT community in conversation and you weren't praising it, you were labelled a "Homophobe".

This bitch kid had connections with all the drama queens that when I was criticizing MY OWN COMMUNITY, he started spreading bullshit that I was some sort of Homophobe. Now, again, I am BISEXUAL, but at the time I was very shy and selective to who I came out to, so when I had these rumours going around about me, I was stuck between a rock and a hard place.

So I get quite easily pissed off at kids who pull the "Homophobe" card.

6 hours ago, EMT said:

Did he actually just play the victim card? Come on man.

i thought the same thing, seriously, this is a loving community, no one hates anyone on here for being gay

Parades are and can be for any reason. When there is a parade I can make the choice to go or not go. Nobody forces me to go or not go. 

The only Gay parade I am aware of around this corner of the world is the Vancouver BC Gay parade. I have never been as it is 350 miles away from where I live but I have been told it is an awesome event to attend no matter what your sexual preference is. Over half a million people attend it. I am not aware of any other parades that draw such a large attendance number around here. So if Half a million people want to watch a parade then who am I to say they shouldn't?

14 hours ago, Lisk said:

Interesting! I thought that the only thing that was required to join the club was falling in love with someone of the same gender

Or even just wanting to bone them :p