Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Dumb question about Cloth Diapers

Several months ago, I bought some Leakmaster prefold cloth diapers. I washed them so they would work, as I read I had to on their site. But when I put them on to wet them, it didn't absorb. The pee just went right through, like I was wetting underwear. I didn't buy plastic pants or a cover for them. Is this the issue? I'm a noob when it comes to cloth diapers. Thank you in advance for your help.

I wear diapers that are cloth with PUL covers. The brand I use is BubuBibi As long as they are on properly they do not leak. When I decided the cost of disposables was going to kill my budget I tried Baby Pants cloth diapers and Leakmaster snap-on PUL plastic pants. The recommended size of the Baby Pants diapers seemed too big; they had to be folded over to fit inside the plastic pants. Also,I should have bought pull on style plastic pants because the snap on style leak around  between the snaps. PUL is important; it allows air flow but blocks liquid.                           

On 6/18/2017 at 5:06 PM, GunRunner said:

Several months ago, I bought some Leakmaster prefold cloth diapers. I washed them so they would work, as I read I had to on their site. But when I put them on to wet them, it didn't absorb. The pee just went right through, like I was wetting underwear. I didn't buy plastic pants or a cover for them. Is this the issue? I'm a noob when it comes to cloth diapers. Thank you in advance for your help.

They need to be washed a few times before they become fully absorbent. Wetting a brand new unwashed one will result in minimal absorbency and a puddle in your plastic pants/cover or on the floor!

Some cloth diapers are all-in-one (i.e. contain a waterproof layer) and others require plastic pants or a cover. The description of the product should explain which type it is.

• 2 weeks later...

long long ago when I was a kid plastic pants were not in use, or were just being introduced. If you were in diapers these were really to contain poop and if you were a 3-5 year old still wearing them the instructions were not to sit on upholstered seats in case you pee'd and it soaked through the cloth diaper.