Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

1 hour ago, writerforce6 said:

How's it coming along? Or are you still sick? Pretty sure it's eleven eleven AM where you're at right now... so morning's almost over.

Right now, doing better, but I'm heading to the doctor to see what's up with my throat around 12:45PM PDT, after that, I'll be continuing on the chapter.

It's coming along well, turning out to be considerably longer than my posts so far.

53 minutes ago, Darksyn said:

Right now, doing better, but I'm heading to the doctor to see what's up with my throat around 12:45PM PDT, after that, I'll be continuing on the chapter.

It's coming along well, turning out to be considerably longer than my posts so far.

Longer. Good. Man have I been waiting for that!

By the way, I may use you as a sounding board for an idea I came up with for my version of EoS sometime today, though I'd like to finish the chapter I've been working on for it first. The idea is going to be about Kiriko's first encounter with Argo.

Chapter - Four

Gradually, the noise outside died down. There had been a few attempts to break through the door and into the storefront from the outside, but the door and the barricade held. Kiriko and Asuna had moved into the store-room to stay hidden, during which, the beta tester had explained to the brunette how to navigate her inventory and other menu tabs, and as the two snacked on some of the starter-player jerky and sipped from their waterskins, Kiriko found herself preparing to explain the next batch of important mechanics: Attributes, Hunger, Thirst, Bladder and Bowel needs, as well as buffs and debuffs.

The fact that bathroom-related things were tracked by the game in the full release was embarrassing enough, but talking in detail about the subject would be... Something else entirely.

Bracing herself for what would inevitably come up, she opened up her menu, tabbing over to the BODY display, which tracked stats, needs, gear, any active effects, and so-on.

"Okay, the next thing you need to learn will be about the BODY tab. It should be right above INVENTORY and SKILLS. In here, you'll find everything you need to know about your avatar. Stats are pretty self-explanatory. Now --"

Before She could finish, Asuna raised her hand nervously. She looked a little red... Evidently having discovered the list of Needs, perhaps the debuffs as well.

"Kiriko, umm... I can see the list of 'Needs' and 'debuffs' now. It's really part of the game, isn't it?" She asked quietly, looking to her mentor for a response."

"Yeah. They settled on making it mandatory, for reasons which escape me." she replied with a shrug, "It's... Something we have to work with now. On that note, well... Better to learn about them, right?"

Asuna nodded almost imperceptibly. Something about her response to the whole situation had Kiriko at a loss.

'Perhaps it has to do with her accident earlier?' she mused, 'I'll figure out eventually, I suppose. Best not to ask.'

"Hunger and thirst, and the overall values for each are based on what the Nerve Gear can read from your body during the start-up process, mixed with those of your chosen avatar's stats and body type." she explained, "Your, uh, other stats are determined similarly. The really personal questions your Nerve Gear required you to answer? Those answers and the neural activity in your brain determine those stats. They also determine some values that only become visible after a certain amount of... Let's call it bathroom activity."

Kiriko felt the blood rushing slowly to her cheeks, "After a determined amount, your stats governing your ability to hold it in will be finalized. These can change for better or worse depending on what you do in-game, certain items, or so on."

Asuna scrolled her menu down further, and Kiriko peered into copy of the brunette's stats. As guilty as she felt looking into her companion's stats, knowing the listed values during their time as a party would prove useful - It was one of the advantages to the variety of party she had invited Asuna to, after all, a Partnership - Designed for small groups of adventurers to be able to track important data and co-ordinate closely, with the implicit idea that excessive privacy features might get in the way. Of course, Asuna could use it to peer into Kiriko's own stats, but that would be an explanation for more opportune moment.

Her eyes scanned over the debuff list first.

[Wet Leggings (Dried) Wet Panties (Dried) - Four hours elapsed. Parent of debuff: Clammy. 5% penalty to casting schools not including hydromancy, discomfort]

[Clammy - Three and three quarter hours elapsed. Discomfort, penalty to cold resistance, may lead to rash.]

As she expected, negative effects had carried over, along with the completion of the system controlling player holding ability.

"Those icons between your attributes and needs are buffs and debuffs. Blue backgrounds on the icons mean they are beneficial, and red ones are negative. Right now, it looks like your, um, accident... Has caused two debuffs. These ones you should be able to rid yourself of if you change and clean up."

"That... Would require a bathroom and a change of clothes?" Asuna questioned in reply, trying her best not to get too worked up about her earlier 'problem'. "This game doesn't make things easy, does it?"

"Yep, pretty much. Thankfully, even if most of the game is covering the dark ages through the renaissance in technology, they kept some modern amenities for towns. They're hard to recreate, of course, but we don't need to worry about that - Should be a bathroom upstairs, and while you might not have a change of clothes with you, I made sure to buy a few things before the situation went to crap, so you'll at least have a pair of panties while we wash your wet clothes."

Asuna blinked a couple of times in realization, and she felt her face warming up again. "I, uh... Thanks. I'll find some way to pay you back for all this help eventually."

Kiriko waved her offer off with a friendly smile. "Having somebody to look out for me is more than enough payment. It's not just you who ended up safer when we partied up, keep in mind."

-------

Chapter 4 END.

Due to a mix of human error, internet fuckery and the text editor I am using eating my earlier attempt at this post without saving it, I will be continuing soon with another chapter. This turned out shorter than what was my intent, but I think I'm fairly satisfied with how it turned out.

15 hours ago, writerforce6 said:

Damn it man, you keep writing short chapters! Your four chapters would all fit into my first two and I'd still have a over a thousand words left over! This is torture...

The fact that I actually give a shit about the short length means you did well, though. Just so you know that.

It has to do with writing style and real world issues.

I for one like to have everything done completely... which is why I haven't posted anything yet despite having 5.5 chapters done of something I'm working on. Who knows if 50 chapters down the road I'll want to retcon something in chapter 1?

On top of that Darksyn has been taking care of other things in real life.

I note that while you like to go for complete scenes when doing your chapters, Darksyn isn'tafraid to stop in the middle. I like both styles, the former feels more episodic while the latter's cliffhangers have me clamoring for more. Its yet another thing that makes each of your takes on subject unique.

4 hours ago, Unbeknownst said:

It has to do with writing style and real world issues.

I for one like to have everything done completely... which is why I haven't posted anything yet despite having 5.5 chapters done of something I'm working on. Who knows if 50 chapters down the road I'll want to retcon something in chapter 1?

On top of that Darksyn has been taking care of other things in real life.

I note that while you like to go for complete scenes when doing your chapters, Darksyn isn'tafraid to stop in the middle. I like both styles, the former feels more episodic while the latter's cliffhangers have me clamoring for more. Its yet another thing that makes each of your takes on subject unique.

I was just being dramatic for shits and giggles, it wasn't really meant to be taken seriously (which I think Darksyn understood given that he upvoted the post). I mean, yes it's a little annoying that he promised a longer chapter and then posted one of the usual length, but in the end it's just a minor inconvenience.

I typically write complete scenes when the scene itself isn't super exciting. I'm not afraid to utilize cliffhangers when I think one is warranted, but I tend to reserve them for times when cutting a chapter off mid-scene is liable to create immense hype and anxiety for the conclusion of said scene. Currently, my version of EoS isn't far enough in for those scenes to become commonplace (it will be in the next arc, though). I haven't even gotten to the launch tutorial yet, so there's not much point in making cliffhangers for scenes where everyone who's watched or read canon knows approximately how they're going to go down.

17 minutes ago, writerforce6 said:

I was just being dramatic for messes and giggles, it wasn't really meant to be taken seriously (which I think Darksyn understood given that he upvoted the post). I mean, yes it's a little annoying that he promised a longer chapter and then posted one of the usual length, but in the end it's just a minor inconvenience.

I typically write complete scenes when the scene itself isn't super exciting. I'm not afraid to utilize cliffhangers when I think one is warranted, but I tend to reserve them for times when cutting a chapter off mid-scene is liable to create immense hype and anxiety for the conclusion of said scene. Currently, my version of EoS isn't far enough in for those scenes to become commonplace (it will be in the next arc, though). I haven't even gotten to the launch tutorial yet, so there's not much point in making cliffhangers for scenes where everyone who's watched or read canon knows approximately how they're going to go down.

Yeah, I know you like to exaggerate things when commenting. Trust me, those posts are downright hilarious. XD

I know you don't mean it too seriously. Neither do I. I just like to over analyze specific details for a reason even I have yet to figure out.