Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Post-Apocalyptic Interactive

[Author’s note:  I was doing an RP a while back and thought it would make for a good interactive story, so I got permission and here we are. This story follows a group of mercenaries trying to make a living in a post-apocalyptic world, with the perspective switching between them for different missions. I’ll try to update on a regular basis. Also, given the setting there will be some violence, but nothing too graphic.]

[Author's note: I was doing an RP a while back and thought it would make for a good interactive story, so I got permission and here we are. This story follows a group of mercenaries trying to make a living in a post-apocalyptic world, with the perspective switching between them for different missions. I'll try to update on a regular basis. Also, given the setting there will be some violence, but nothing too graphic.]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is how the world ended: not with a whimper, but with a bang.

The disease seemingly came out of nowhere and spread like wildfire. Within hours, approximately half the population of the United States cam down with severe fever-like symptoms and died soon after. People were still reeling from the tragedy when the corpses returned to life as mindless, flesh-eating zombies.

The world was thrown into a panic as further millions were devoured or turned into zombies themselves. Travel routes were quickly shut down, but the disease had already been spread worldwide. Governments quickly collapsed, shutting down international communications. No country knew what had happened to the rest of the world. Had they succumbed to the undead or had they managed to resist? They could only hope...

Over time, survivors adapted to their new world. A cure for the disease was developed that would save someone who was recently bitten, but could do nothing for the hordes of zombies that had already been converted. (For some reason, they didn't simply rot away over the years as expected.) Select cities were cleared of zombies and fortified as safe zones. Rudimentary trade and job systems were established, but most of the work fell upon hired mercenaries.

Which brings us to today, at a bar in the safe zone that used to be Los Angeles...

-------------------------------------------------------

5926f256195ba_PAR1.thumb.jpg.37c5287adc7f1de22c19858c1b532c83.jpg

Our characters (left to right)

Name: Miller

Weapons: AK-74 assault rifle, M1911 pistol, C4, bowie knife,  P-gas (diuretic)  grenades

Bio: Originally hailing from Texas, Miller had a wife and child by the time he was 20. That was how it was in this world; you lived fast and died young. Miller found out just how true that was when he lost his family to the zombie horde. After recovering, he found work as a mercenary willing to take on the most dangerous jobs. Experienced and armed to the teeth, Miller is the natural leader of the group. Despite his rough appearance, he is usually quite amiable. Just don’t threaten his friends…

Name: David

Weapons: AR-15 assault rifle, Glock G17 pistol, machete

Bio: The last member of the group to join, David was orphaned at a young age and had to fend for himself. For years, he scavenged for food with his dog Gertie, a loyal mutt he raised from a pup. David’s not quite used to being around people and can come off as somewhat shy. Nevertheless, he has a level head and a good heart, though he is probably the least skilled of the group combat-wise.

Name: Anne

Weapons: Dual MK 23 pistols, frag grenades, crowbar

Bio: A young girl who survived for years on her own, Anne was the first one to join Miller as a mercenary. Despite her age, she has as much experience surviving danger and killing zombies as most adults. Anne’s quick with an insult, but even quicker with a shot from her twin pistols. Some would describe her as “opinionated.” Others would use the word “bratty,” but they’re usually the ones that get shot.

Name: Eve

Weapons: Portable railgun, pulse pistol, plasma-infused blade

Bio: Designated Specimen EVE EX-001, Eve was grown in a stasis pod as part of Project Archangel. She was created to be perfect both physically and mentally, but the apocalypse shut the project down before she could be instilled with social skills. As a result, Eve has no sense of modesty or subtlety with people. She does, however, have Digistruct technology which allows her to seemingly construct her clothes and weapons out of thin air, or make them vanish just as easily. Her railgun makes her the team’s heavy hitter, but she’s still learning the ropes of becoming a merc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miller set down his glass and smiled. For once, he thought, things are goin' fine.  He and his newly assembled mercenary team had just completed their first assignment, helping a man reunite with his family. The pay wasn't high (Miller didn't have the heart to charge him too much), but he felt his crew had earned the right to spend a bit of it on a cold one. Still, they would need a new job pretty soon...

"So whatta we do next?" asked Anne from across the table, seemingly reading Miller's mind. "I don't know about you guys, but this isn't enough for me."

"I concur," said Eve. "This payment is not adequate to sustain myself."

"Then let's make some fuckin' money!" cried Anne, raising her glass in cheer.

Miller grinned. He had to admire the kid's spirit.

"The jobs are posted over there on the board. Let's check 'em out."

"Hmm," said Eve, looking over the slips of paper. "This one requests that we retrieve medicinal supplies from an old laboratory. The surrounding area is mostly free of zombies; it should be fairly easy."

"Bo-ring," groaned Anne. "How about this one? It's simple; we just gotta waste a bunch of zombies. Sounds like fun!"

"This one doesn't have any details," said Miller. "It just says 'Run supplies for the king.' What the hell?"

"Let me see that," piped up David. He examined the handwriting. "It's from King Harold!" Seeing the confusion on his companions' faces, he quickly explained. "He runs a safe zone south of here. Little eccentric, but he's a good guy. The safe zone's a ways away, but he pays pretty well."

"I'll take your word for it," said Miller. "Looks like this is the last one. There's no details here either; it just says 'Dirty work needed. High pay. Meet at the following coordinates for details.'"

"Well which one's it gonna be?" Anne inquired.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Choose a mission.

> Cure for What Ails You

P.O.V. character: Eve

Difficulty: Beginner

Details: Recover medical supplies from a nearby abandoned laboratory and bring them back to the safe zone.

>Zombie Slayer

P.O.V character: Anne

Difficulty: Easy

Details: Eliminate the zombies that are threatening another settlement.

>The King’s Quest

P.O.V character: David

Difficulty: Medium

Details: Make your way to King Harold’s safe zone and protect his convoy on its supply run.

>Dirty Deeds

P.O.V character: Miller

Difficulty: Hard

Details: Unclear. Should be difficult.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey everybody, just a quick heads up. Final exams are starting so the next update might be awhile. Yes, even by my standards. Stay tuned, and a huge thanks to everyone who's participated in this.

Posted Images

Zombie Slayer it is!

-------------------------

Mission Selected: Zombie Slayer

“Well,” said Miller, “killing zombies sounds like it’s right up our alley, so to speak. I say we start with that.” Eve and David nodded in agreement.

“Hell yeah!” cried Anne. “Let’s pop some heads!” She paused. “We should probably hit the market first, though. I don’t know about you, but my ammo’s run as dry as my glass.”

“You’re right,” Miller agreed. “Good thinking, Anne.”

Anne grinned at that. If there was one thing she liked about Miller, it was that he treated her as a partner as opposed to some annoying little kid. She’d had to put up with that too many times for her liking in the past.

They settled the tab and headed out of the bar, job slip in hand. From there it was just a quick walk to the bustling market square.

“All right, here’s the plan.” Miller had to yell to be heard over the incessant chatter of the crowd. “We each take a twenty, buy what we need, and meet at Bill’s Garage in fifteen minutes.” Everyone nodded and headed their separate ways. Anne pushed past street merchants trying to sell her various junk and went straight for the weapon dealer’s booth.

Despite the California heat, the weapon dealer was wearing his usual heavy trench coat. As always, his face was obscured by a thick layer of bandages (Anne didn’t want to know what was underneath.)

“Welcome,” croaked the dealer. “Whattaya buyin’? I got some new guns folks would kill to get their hands on.” He chuckled as he examined the racks of firearms behind him. “Matter o’ fact, some already did.”

“I’ll take a fillup for my MK’s,” said Anne. “Nothing fancy.”

“You sure?” said the dealer, clearly disappointed. “I got this lovely-”

A piercing glare from Anne shut him up instantly.

“Right,” he said meekly, “refill it is. That’ll be twelve bucks. Pleasure doin’ business with ya.”

After getting her ammo and buying some fried pigeon from a street vendor, Anne headed for the Garage as instructed, where the others were already assembled.

“If we’re gonna get to our destination, we’re gonna need a vehicle,” Miller explained. “What’ve ya got?”

“Well you got two options,” said Bill. “First off, I got this beauty here.” He pointed to a rugged-looking jeep. “She’s got great mileage, a sweet suspension system that’ll get you through the roughest terrain, and plenty of space for all of you. She’s yours for a hundred.”

“One hundred dollars?” cried Anne. “No way; that’s more than what we’re making on this job!”

“We could make that back with another job,” David pointed out. “Should be pretty easy in our line of work.”

“Still feels like it’s too much,” grumbled Anne, though she had to admit he may have had a point.

5934743472cf1_PAR2.thumb.jpg.3043a031023946740d29f9f463688465.jpg

“If that one’s too expensive,” Bill said hurriedly, “there’s also this one. It’s only thirty dollars, but I’ll be honest: it’s not very good.”

When Anne saw the other jeep, she thought that was an understatement. It was dented and scraped, the headlights were broken, and it looked too cramped for four people and a dog. Still, you couldn’t beat the price.

APEJEEPMARINE.jpg.70ca45c5a6f24baeba606b9552dc74c3.jpg

Which jeep will you buy?

> The expensive one.

> The cheap one.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay; let's just say I've been busy.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The expensive one.

“Fine,” said Anne, handing over her portion of the cash, “we’ll splurge on the expensive one. We better make the money back on this job, though.”

Miller turned the keys in the ignition and the jeep roared to life.

“Music to my ears,” he said with a grin. “Get in, everyone; this trip’s gonna take awhile.”

The jeep was magnificent as it sped through arid deserts and ruined cities. It handled potholes flawlessly and could go offroad with ease. Anne had to admit that the expensive jeep had been the right choice. Not that she would ever admit it…

A loud slurping noise came from beside her. Gertie was stretched out on the floor at Anne’s feet, licking out the inside of a dog food can. Anne winced. “What’s in that shit anyway?”

“I dunno,” David admitted as he took a swig from his water bottle. “You can’t really afford to be choosy.”

That struck a nerve with Anne. “You think I don’t know that?” she snapped. “I’ve survived by myself for my whole life; that’s the first thing I learned.”

“I-I’m sorry,” David stammered, “I didn’t mean-”

“It’s fine,” said Anne, though she was still a little pissed at him.

“Want some of my water?” asked David, going for a peace offering.

“Sure,” said Anne. As she chugged the refreshing liquid, she could feel the drinks from the bar reaching her bladder.

Guess I should have asked for a piss break before we left, she thought. Oh well, I can hold it ‘til we get there.

One hour later, Anne was starting to rethink her position. The pressure in her bladder just kept on building, and she couldn’t ignore it no matter how hard she tried. The tight seat belt pressing against her midsection didn’t help, nor did the sound of the last of the water trickling towards David’s mouth. Anne jammed her hands between her tightly crossed legs, but she still found no relief.

Come on, Anne thought, just don’t think about it. Think about something else. Not about how you have to pee so bad. How nice it would feel to just pop a squat and let it all flow-

“Fuck!” she cried as she felt a few drops of urine leak into her panties.

“You okay?” asked David, surprised.

“Just fine,” Anne said, though nothing could be further from the truth.

I gotta piss so bad! she admitted to herself. But I can’t ask for a potty break! That would be so embarrassing! Then again, so would wetting myself. What am I gonna do?

Desperate in every sense of the word, Anne looked around for options. Her eyes fell upon the can of dog food, which was clean as a whistle now that Gertie was done with it.

That might work, she thought. But it’s kinda small; I’m not sure it would hold all my pee.

Anne had another idea as David tossed his empty water bottle to the floor. It certainly looked like it would hold more than the can, but aiming her stream through the tiny bottleneck would be quite a problem. If she were a boy it would pose no challenge, but as it was Anne was stuck between two less than ideal options.

5944a3acdd281_PAR3.thumb.jpg.229bdc526cf9e362dd9580f0dc1d6fb9.jpg

Where should Anne pee?

>In the can

>In the bottle

Okay, so I had to do a tiebreaker. Hopefully, this won't happen again.

-----------------------------------------------------

As the contents of her bladder begged for release, Anne knew she had to make up her mind.

I’ll use the bottle! No, the can! The bottle! I can get it in there just as good as a boy!

“Hey David, can I have that bottle?” asked Anne, trying to sound casual despite her intense need.

“Sure,” said David, handing it over, “but it’s empty; I don’t see why-”

Anne yanked down her shorts and panties in one swift movement and he instantly fell silent.

She had to roll her eyes as he turned away, blushing. Modesty had no place in these lawless wastelands. Besides, they’d seen each other piss before; once more wouldn’t hurt.

Putting aside her thoughts, Anne pushed the bottle up against her girlhood. She relaxed her bladder and almost immediately a pale yellow stream poured out from between her legs with the force of a raging river. Anne sighed in relief and readjusted the bottle to make sure nothing spilled. She felt nothing but pure bliss as she closed her eyes and listened to the trickling sound as the bottle filled.

594ff668ea9cd_PAR4.thumb.jpg.23bc5dc9de8549ad35d4731a4ef3734b.jpg

After what felt like an eternity, Anne’s pee stream started to die down. She let out the last spurts, removed the bottle and opened her eyes. To her immense relief, only a few golden drops had fallen onto the seat. The bottle, meanwhile, was filled up to the neck with her urine.

Satisfied, she tossed the bottle out behind the jeep.

“You can look now,” Anne said tauntingly to David as she redressed herself. “You know, you can watch next time if you wanna.” She grinned to herself at his obvious discomfort.

Now we’re even, she thought, remembering David’s earlier remark.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was dusk by the time they pulled to a stop. Anne was half-asleep when Miller ordered them out of the jeep.

“Our target’s in that valley down below,” he announced. “We should do recon before we head in.”

Anne peered through a battered pair of binoculars at the settlement before her. ‘Run-down’ didn’t even begin to describe it. The streets were strewn with chunks of unidentifiable rubble. There wasn’t a single building that was still in one piece. And, of course, zombies roamed throughout, shrieking and moaning as they hunted for fresh meat.

594ff67f33425_PAR5.thumb.jpg.30ca924e852760553cb8f7b3c748e7ce.jpg

That’s what we’re supposed to protect?” said Anne in disbelief. “Looks like we’re about a month too late.”

“Actually, the survivors live a couple miles out,” Miller explained. “They want us to put these zombies down before they spread.”

“Got it,” said Anne, drawing her pistols. “I can definitely go for that. You sure we should take ‘em on in the dark like this, though?”

“She makes a valid argument,” said Eve. “The zombies possess excellent night vision, whereas we do not. It may be wise to rest here until morning.”

“Still, it might be better to do it now,” countered David. “That way, we can ambush them. If we stop for the night, they might sneak up on us. Even with someone keeping watch, that would put us at a disadvantage.”

“You both have good points,” said Miller. “Either way, it’ll be a group decision.”

What plan will you go with?

> Attack now

> Wait until morning