Sign In

Post-Apocalyptic Interactive

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey everybody, just a quick heads up. Final exams are starting so the next update might be awhile. Yes, even by my standards. Stay tuned, and a huge thanks to everyone who's participated in this.

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of drawings on this one (let's just say there were extenuating circumstances.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“On second thought, she’s right,” David admitted. “We don’t want to rush in blindly.”

“Too true,” said Miller. “I’ll keep watch, y’all should get some rest.”

As Miller got a fire going, Anne lay down in the back of the jeep and tried to get comfortable. She closed her eyes and listened to the sounds of the night. The crackling of the fire. Eve’s light snoring from the front seat. A hissing splatter as David relieved himself in the bushes. Anne considered sneaking a peek, but it was too dark to see much. As Gertie curled up next to her, making a surprisingly comfortable pillow, Anne drifted off to sleep.

The unearthly moans of the undead surrounded the shack. The father tried in vain to barricade the windows as the mother held her daughter tightly to her chest.

“Mommy?” cried the terrified girl, who couldn’t have been more than five. “What’s happening? What are those monsters?”

“Don’t worry, we’re going to be okay,” said the mother unconvincingly, clutching her child even closer. “Everything’s going to be okay.”

The father said nothing as he hammered a board across the open window. Suddenly, a muscular arm broke through it and pulled him out into the zombie horde. The girl squeezed her eyes shut as his screams were abruptly silenced.

“Sweetie?” came the distant voice of the mother, and the girl opened her eyes. The mother set her daughter down as zombies began to crawl through the window.

“Go to the basement,” said the mother, putting a hand to her daughter’s mouth. “Don’t argue. I love you, Annie.”

Frightened out of her mind and not knowing what else to do, the girl opened the trapdoor and descended into the darkness. From above came the sound of a massive explosion, raining dirt upon her.

Exiting the basement, the girl saw there was nothing left around but ash, rubble and hundreds of charred skeletons. She sobbed in anguish but quickly fell silent when the horrible moan filled the air once more. The girl screamed as the few zombies spared by the explosion closed in on her. Desperately trying to defend herself, she grabbed the forearm of the closest one. To her shock, it came right off! The girl swung in a blind panic, knocking the arm’s original owner to the ground.

It was then, by some primal instinct, the girl realized one thing: she would survive. No matter what it took. With a scream that was equal parts fear and fury, she drove the jagged ulna into the zombie’s eye socket. The horrid thing went limp as the bone pierced through its brain. The girl retrieved her makeshift weapon and turned towards the remaining zombies, determined to kill them all…

Anne woke up from her nightmare drenched in sweat to the sound of gunfire. Looking around, she saw that the jeep was in the midst of the ruins, surrounded by zombies. Her companions were already at work mowing them down.

“We had to get a move on, but we didn’t want to wake you,” Miller explained between bursts from his AK-74.

“Trust me, it’s okay,” said Anne, drawing her MKs and opening fire.

As she blew out zombie brains, Anne realized two things. First, she was running dangerously low on ammunition. Second, the zombies were still coming in droves.

“Dammit!” she heard Miller shout. “I’m out of ammo for my AK!”

“And my railgun needs to cool down,” Eve added.

Shit, Anne thought. Are we gonna be able to take ‘em out with just our sidearms?

Desperately searching for a solution, Anne’s eyes fell upon a crumbling warehouse and she started to formulate a plan.

Looks like a good explosive could bring it down. If we could lure the zombies under it, we could take ‘em all out! It’s a risky plan, but then again so is relying on our pistols.

-------------------------------------------------------------

What’s the battle plan?

> Keep shooting!

>Blow it all up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No other options, Anne decided. Our ammo’s not gonna last at this rate.

“Miller!” she yelled. “I’ve got an idea! We can lure all the zombies under that warehouse, then bring the whole place down on them!”

“Sounds good to me!” he replied. “Everybody hold on tight!”

With that, Miller stepped on the gas and the jeep smashed through the warehouse doors. As zombies swarmed the jeep, Anne grabbed several blocks of C4.

“Place ‘em on the supports,” Miller instructed. “We’ll cover ya!”

5981ea8af1973_PAR6.thumb.jpg.70a1ca7fab7338c985f33bcd4567fbd1.jpg

Anne dashed through the path her friends’ bullets cleared. There were four support pillars and eight blocks of C4. It didn’t take a genius to figure out how to proceed. She quickly set to work rigging the first one.

“Well done,” said Eve. “Now duck and cover.” Anne obligingly hit the dirt and heard Eve’s pulse pistols fire a barrage over her head. She hurried over to the second pillar as the zombies’ bodies hit the ground, their heads reduced to ashes.

The second set of charges were set, then the third. By this point, the warehouse was packed wall-to-wall with zombies.

“I don’t mean to rush you,” cried David as he decapitated zombies with his machete, “but are you done yet? We’re completely out of ammo over here!”

“Last one!” Anne shouted, planting the final explosives. “Miller! Let’s get the fuck out of here!”

“Agreed,” said Miller, plowing through the horde with the jeep. Anne hopped on the back and they sped out the doors, leaving the zombies stuck inside. Once they were at a safe distance, she pressed the button on the detonator.

5981eaa834a02_PAR7.jpg.db34c9ed110a724e0cdd16eded22fea7.jpg

The resulting explosion could only be described as glorious. Looking at the flaming debris, Anne was certain that nothing could have survived.

“Nice work, y’all!” Miller cheered. “Now let’s go get our pay!”

Anne frowned. “With the cost of this jeep plus a full refill on ammo, we won’t be making a profit off of this. In fact, we’ll be almost broke!”

“Look on the bright side; we all made it out alive,” said David.

“Aren’t you Mister Positive,” Anne grumbled. “We’re gonna need another job, and soon.”

“You’re right,” said Miller, “but for now, let’s rest up for a bit.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mission complete!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few days later, the mercenaries were back at the bar.

“So which one’s it gonna be this time?” asked Anne.

“Let’s save ‘Dirty Deeds’ for later,” David suggested. “It doesn’t make sense to rush right into the hardest job.”

“I agree,” said Eve, “which leaves us with two options for now.”

Choose a mission.

> Cure for What Ails You

P.O.V. character: Eve

Difficulty: Beginner

Details: Recover medical supplies from a nearby abandoned laboratory and bring them back to the safe zone.

>The King’s Quest

P.O.V character: David

Difficulty: Medium

Details: Make your way to King Harold’s safe zone and protect his convoy on its supply run.

• 2 weeks later...

(Author’s note: So it turns out I didn't read the original RP closely enough. I drew Eve with black hair when it’s supposed to be white. I’ll fix that in future drawings.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I personally think we should recover the medicine,” Eve suggested. “It should not be difficult and it would help a lot of people.”

“Sure, whatever,” said Anne with a shrug. “As long as we get paid, I’m up for it.”

“Then it’s settled,” said Miller. He strolled up towards the bar to pay their tab. “We should get goin’ ASAP.”

“May I finish my drink first?” asked Eve. Miller nodded and she gulped down the rest of her beverage. It was a virgin drink; when she tried alcohol she had become “shitfaced.” At least that’s what Anne had told her; Eve couldn’t remember much of what had happened.

“All right, here’s how it’s gonna go down,” said Miller, starting up the jeep. “The old lab’s not too far, but we don’t know if it’s infested or not, so we’ll need a plan.  Anne and David, you take out any zombies we find on site.  I’ll take point an’ make sure we don’t get swarmed. Eve, that leaves it up to you to grab the goods. Ya up for it?”

“Of course,” Eve replied, eager to prove herself to the rest of the group.

“Do you even need to ask?” Anne added.

Miller chuckled. “Now that’s what I like to hear. Mercs, let’s move out!”

5994f6dfc568f_PAR8.jpg.4dfe62becaeebffe8224c9ba8813d0f3.jpg

They drove through what could be charitably described as a wasteland. There were no trees, no animals, not even any zombies; just sun-baked sand as far as the eye could see. With nothing to occupy her mind, Eve became aware of a slight tension in her bladder. It wasn’t much, but she had learned the hard way that she wasn’t good at holding it.

I should take care of this before it becomes a real issue, Eve thought. The most logical option would be to simply deconstruct my clothes and relieve myself here. No! The others seem to frown upon that. Perhaps I should ask Miller to-

“Stop the car!” cried Anne.

Miller nearly jumped out of his seat before slamming on the brake. “What the hell’s goin’ on?”

“Look,” said Anne, pointing. Eve focused her eyes and saw a run-down looking gas station on the horizon.

“I appreciate the thought,” said Miller, “but we’re good on gas. This baby gets great mileage.”

“We should still check it out,” argued Anne. “There might some good shit in there.”

“Or other people,” Eve added.

“Or zombies and/or a painful death. Just sayin’,” said David.

“What’s the matter?” Anne taunted. “Afraid to take a little chance? C’mon, what are the odds we get in trouble?”

“All variables considered,” said Eve, doing quick mental calculations, “the odds are about-”

“I wasn’t asking you!” cried Anne.

“Then who were you asking?”

Anne sighed. “Never mind. Bottom line: are we going in or not?”

5994f6f72870b_PAR9.thumb.jpg.7d61fadcae527bb9f87b835621affa47.jpg

Choose.

> Going in

>Or not

• 2 weeks later...

“We’re goin’ in,” said Miller with finality. “Anne’s right, there might be some supplies.”

Eve concentrated and felt her pulse pistol materialize in her hand. Weapon drawn, she cautiously opened the door to the station and peered inside. The sparse interior was coated with a layer of dust. A skeleton was slumped across the service counter with a hole in its skull and a  pistol still gripped in his bony fingers.

“Jeez, looks like he’s been here for a while,” said David, taking a closer look.

“Based on the advanced state of decay, he likely took his life soon after the outbreak,” Eve added.

“C’mon,” said Anne impatiently, “let’s get searching for supplies. It’s not like he needs them anymore.”

With that, the group split up. Eve opened the cash register, but there were only a few bills inside. Nevertheless, she took them; they needed all the money they could get.

“I got a few clips of ammo over here,” called Miller. “Anyone else find something?”

“Negative,” Eve replied, “but I will keep looking.” As she checked the expiration dates on some bags of snacks, her thoughts went back to her desperation. She was definitely feeling the urge to pee now, and her tight suit pressing against her bladder was only exacerbating the issue. Eve was trying to calculate how long she could hold it when her eyes fell upon something metallic beneath the counter.

“My friends,” called Eve, reaching for the object, “I believe I have found something.”

Recognizing her find as a briefcase, Eve gingerly pried it open. Inside the case were several small, sharp metal sticks. Vials, colored red, yellow and white, were attached to their tips.

“What the hell are those?” asked Anne. “Arrows?”

59aca1a3ae911_PAR10.jpg.d450d898c46046fba6b33181cb8704d0.jpg

Miller shook his head. “You’re close: they’re crossbow bolts. I’ve seen these kinds before. The reds are incendiaries, the yellows deliver a high-voltage shock, and the whites contain cryogenic agents that can freeze a man solid. Looks like there’s three of each.”

“Too bad they’re useless,” grumbled Anne, “‘cause none of us use a crossbow.”

“Yeah, but they’re worth a pretty penny on the black market,” said Miller. “We’re takin’ ‘em.”

“Wait a minute,” Eve interrupted. “Where are David and Gertie?”

“Right here,” David replied, emerging from a door in a dark corner of the gas station. “I was checking for stuff in the bathrooms. They’re honestly in pretty good shape. I found some soap we can use.”

“Well, you certainly need them,” cracked Anne. “Now let’s get going.”

As her companions headed out, Eve debated with herself. It felt childish to ask for a bathroom break and they didn’t have a lot of time to spare. On the other hand, she certainly didn’t want to end up wetting herself… again. Plus, it would be nice to use a toilet for once instead of just peeing out in the open.

“Eve!” called Miller. “You comin’ or what?”

59aca1b75052b_PAR11.jpg.314e05f85e236a95851107711c0a0297.jpg

Should Eve ask for a bathroom break?

>Yes

>No