Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay, now this chapter length is much better. The last one was way too short for my liking, but I justified it because it was a prologue. This, however, is almost four times the length of that segment

I swear to god this was supposed to be a ripoff of that one Asuna story that had the terrible English that was posted a while back! But stuff happened in the writing process, and I ended up turning it

And chapter three has arrived! This is in all likelihood the second to last chapter in this story, but once it's complete it'll be time to play with a much wider cast in the sequel! The first chapter

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Night Rain said:

Am sure Asuna will be quite upset about it when she learns the truth.

I think you mean IF she learns the truth... and that's a pretty big if, too, because I'm still debating whether or not I even want that to happen. Asuna has no leads to go off of to suspect the truth, and no real way to do her research about her condition in a way that would actually reveal the true cause of it, so as things currently stand, the only way Asuna would ever learn the truth is if Kimiko or Suguha explains it to her. As for whether or not that'll happen, as an author I haven't decided yet, but regardless of Asuna's knowledge of her condition, it can't actually be cured right now. Not because curing it is impossible, Kimiko's Jesus machine's feat of making its creator immortal should tell you all you need to know about the likelihood of a cure being achievable if one were to use that, but... with the current limitations and circumstances in play, curing her via the machine isn't a viable option. Let's just say there are two very big reasons why the machine can't be used without severe repercussions that Kimiko doesn't want to deal with. I already know what they are, but I'll save explaining them for people who want to know after I've finished and released the Suguha-centric omake chapter, which will explain the stakes/problems that come with trying to use the machine a bit more.

And because telling her the truth would likely do more harm than good depending on how Asuna reacts to it, and create a lot of drama and stakes I don't even want to be present in the sequel story, which is supposed to be more lighthearted for the most part, I'm more leaning towards leaving Asuna in the dark forever to allow me to achieve the tone I'm actually going for with the future of this series.

39 minutes ago, Darksyn said:

This took an interesting turn real quick. If this weren't an omo/ABDL story it'd certainly have broken suspension of disbelief, but I think the superscience can be forgiven in the interest of those themes.

Interested to see how everything plays out.

Uh, this is an AU of Sword Art Online. The fictional universe where VR tech as complicated as FullDive was invented in freaking four years from now. Me throwing in a little sci-fi into a fic from this fandom is not at all the part about this which actually requires the most suspension of disbelief, from the standpoint of SAO fans or even people who watched it and didn't like it. But then again, you don't really know how the incontinence rash creams work, so I can hardly blame you for thinking the Jesus machine is full of shit lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2018 at 1:11 PM, WriterForce6XV said:

Uh, this is an AU of Sword Art Online. The fictional universe where VR tech as complicated as FullDive was invented in freaking four years from now. Me throwing in a little sci-fi into a fic from this fandom is not at all the part about this which actually requires the most suspension of disbelief, from the standpoint of SAO fans or even people who watched it and didn't like it. But then again, you don't really know how the incontinence rash creams work, so I can hardly blame you for thinking the Jesus machine is full of shit lol.

Honestly, that didn't even get on the line of suspension of disbelief because anyone who knows there SAO can just look at the Soul Translator and go 'Ah, yeah something like that isn't as far-fetched'

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey all,

I've mostly skipped over all the topics except the ones about the story, so I'm sorry if this already got explained. But what's with all the hate about sao? I love the anime. I'm  trying to get my hands on all the manga as well. Anyway, aside from that, I think I've read part of this story on another website. I can't remember which one it was though. Is this story posted on another website?

47 minutes ago, kingdark said:

Hey all,

I've mostly skipped over all the topics except the ones about the story, so I'm sorry if this already got explained. But what's with all the hate about sao? I love the anime. I'm  trying to get my hands on all the manga as well. Anyway, aside from that, I think I've read part of this story on another website. I can't remember which one it was though. Is this story posted on another website?

Couple of reasons are common responses. Many didn't like the changes in general direction from part 1 to part 2. Stuff like adding a pile of love interests. Also some people really liked Asuna, who then was changed into a damsel in distress in the 2nd part. Many feel that the game worlds of the series are cool settings wasted on not great characters and stories. But the most cited reason I've seen is having a HUGE op Gary Stu of a protagonist. Combine above with the show's decent popularity in SPITE of all its flaws and you get a meme of dislike.

I personally liked reading the first part long ago but couldn't bring myself to finish part 2. Asuna's transition into the love interest in part 1 and part 2 didn't do it any favors. I also don't like harem shows much, and after part 2 it seems like every female character is after Kirito. I did like the Gun Gale spinoff with Llenn done by a different author though. Your mileage may vary. Like what you like.

The story is definitely posted in at least a few other places off the top of my head. Deviantart, FoxTalesForum, probably others I'm forgetting.

Edited by tenck5k
fixes (see edit history)

Why has this thread revived? lol I know me responding at all just adds fuel to the fire, but someone needs to clear the air here.

Long story short, this story has been dead for quite a while. It likely won't ever come back. The issue I ran into with it is, I tried to continue the story past its thematic endpoint, which is the same fatal mistake canon SAO made by trying to continue the story past the Aincrad arc. Once the series of events so pivotal it's the entire title of the story has been realized, there's not much else you can do with a story that would be satisfactory, and this issue may not have stopped Reki Kawahara from trying, but it made it impossible to continue this story in a way I could be content with. I ended up trying to write the last two chapters (one of which I posted a year after the initial few) over and over again, ideas going to the scrap heap each time. I could've technically created a new, equally pivotal theme to base a continuation off of, but it wouldn't have had the same appeal to it that the original story did, either to me or my audience, which would kill my motivation over time anyway whether it was received well or not.

I do plan to throw a nod or two this story's way by incorporating small parts of the character details/achievements into SAO: Of Death Games and Diapers, but that's a ways off. I'm glad people still like this one in spite of how bad it looks to me in hindsight due to improvement over time since I wrote it, but I also feel bad that it's been bumped to the front page again because I'm sure some people think it's back and start reading, only to end up disappointed.

So yeah, story's ded. Era of Survival is too for entirely different reasons which I don't think are necessary to bring up. Sorry to those of you who may have come here to read it without knowing because it got bumped to the front page.