Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

What matters most in a video game, Story or Gameplay?

Gameplay or Story  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Story or Gameplay?

Obviously both need to be present in a game so the question is really,

Would you rather play a game with a mediocre story but amazing game play (for example Mortal Kombat or Super Mario Bros)

Or a game with an amazing story but mediocre gameplay (for example The Walking Dead Game, or Corpse Party) 

As someone who grew up playing games with little to no story were gameplay was the make or break feature of the game, I would have to say hands down gameplay is way more important.

I mean think like classic Sonic and Megaman two of the best games from their time, and they had little to no story. Also think about all the movie to video game, games almost all them still have the movie's story, but the gameplay is so bad just about no one likes them.

I guess there are visual novels, but they have not really seen success outside of Japan.

8 hours ago, Jeffery Mewtamer said:

Story is optional, Gameplay is not. If you have a great story, but the gameplay sucks and has no impact on the story, why not just make it a novel instead of wasting our time with worthless game play?

Also, thank you, Down Jacket, for giving me an itch to play Tetris I can't scratch.

Also, I'd disagree with Mortal Kombat having a weak story. Granted, the games don't always do a good job of presenting the story, especially before the series made the jump to 3D and introduced Konquest mode, but MK has some of my favorite gaming lore outside the RPG genre.

tbh I've never really cared about Mortal Kombat's story. I've always just played it multiplayer and when I finally looked into the story I just thought it was mediocre.

It varies from the game... A game can have rather basic gameplay but a really great story that hooks you.

But at the same time, a game can have almost no story but the gameplay is addictive and fun... Though due to the majority of the games I play I play for the story more then the actual gameplay I'd say story.

For me there is a fine balance but I do think game play is more important. Having a great well written story is fine but if all you focus is on that and the mechanics of the game are shocking and buggy it ruins the experience. There are games that I have played that have had amazing game play and at the end I have no idea what the story was meant to be but I enjoyed the game. If you can get a game that has a good balance of both then its awesome.

I love stories any time, any place, but in video games, a good story is just a nice addition. Telltale's Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us are great examples of what happens when the story is great but gameplay is... not. If I only want to see characters speak to each other and fight, I'd read a book or watch a movie. When I want to play a game, I want to PLAY it. I find it so sad when they waste such great stories on such boring "games". I get that other people like it, but I don't (please no stoning me it's just my personal opinion).

Sly 2 became my favourite game in the whole world the second I first saw it, and I don't think that will ever change. The story is common and simple- you're the good guy, there's a bad guy, complete missions in order to get to fight the bad guy. Also you have to be sneaky because you're a thief and all the police want you. Not especially boring, but I would never watch it as a movie unless they came up with a lot more content than that. But the gameplay is just charming. The characters' movements are versatile and the missions are engaging and just the right amount of challenging (at least they were when I first played it as a first-grader). It was really fun having to sneak around and do spy stuff and perform incredible heists. Or think about the original Crash Bandicoot, or Spyro. When I first played those, I didn't understand a word of English, and I still spent hours and hours with those games even though I had no idea if there was a story going on, or what I was even supposed to do.

So bring on the playing. Running around, puzzles, quick reactions, problem solving, going to places while gazing at the pixel views. The story will have to suck big time in order to ruin the experience from me.