Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Expensive Diapers?

So I know that everyone else and his grandmother at this stage has posted asked this question before. However, I wanted to ask you guys a serous question. How do you people afford any of these brands at all? 90-120 dollars/40 days is the average price for an ABDL/DL who wears 24/7. Assuming that you go through two per day. I pay about forty a month for the Prevail brand which work just fine.

I'm just fed up with these outrageous prices. I've been monitoring price changes for at least two years straight (Before I even started wearing.) and I haven't found anything affordable. So either I'm god awful at research and should go buy a pair of glasses, or the prices have stayed mostly the same.

My other question is competition. Why is it that every single god damn ABDL related store on the Internet sells their diapers as everyone else? Why have like twenty different stores if they sell everything at close to the same price. It's like having twenty gas stations on the same corner, selling the same gas or similar gas at the same price per gallon.

More then anything, I'm curious. I want to know why on god's green Earth does anyone buy these diapers? And what banks do you people rob in order to afford them? Because clearly, someone discovered how to make a money tree and I'm the only one not planting.

P.S Sorry if I'm ranting at all.

Wow... you are for real ranting... Its pretty simple: ABDL diapers are a premium product and you can charge premium prices for them... Like "designer" clothing and accessories, you can make the same complaints/arguments... Why pay $500 for a blouse when you can get 3 for twenty bucks at wal-mart that do the same job essentially... Its a luxury item, and people pay for not only the greater quality(no matter how small or large the improved quality is) but also the excitement about having said luxury item specifically because its something not everyone can afford or afford to have all the time...   

Well I do not buy the diapers myself too much, but I do wear pull ups most the time.

Diapers are more of for special occasions and I'm not sure where to get them anymore, but my girlfriend used to buy misprints. Ebay also helps it is hard sometimes, but if you watch closely you can find low prices and win bids for half the price or less if you are lucky and smart with bidding. (Not over bidding till the last few seconds.)

Wish I had that money tree, would help me a lot.... Anyone got any money tree seeds left I can have?

Yeah unless you've got money to burn the ABDL specific brands aren't going to be your best bet if you're intent on wearing 24/7. Get some cheaper ones for the majority of the time and save the expensive ones for special occasions and/or when you want to have a bit more fun and need either the extra absorbency or the extra AB cutesy stuff. As for competition, there are places where you get several petrol stations close together selling at more or less the same prices, some people will go the extra 100m to get the small saving, others will go to the nearest one because it's easiest, and it's the same with online shops; you might be able to save a couple of quid by going to another site but it's probably not worth the extra time to go looking...

Because there's not a big enough demand for it overall, no one seller is able to pull far enough ahead to claim sufficient market share to be buying in enough quantity to get better bulk discounts than any other, so the retail market has a large number of smaller competitors, all of whom have similar margins so can't compete much on price. On the other hand there are a relatively small number of producers of ABDL specific diapers, so they have much greater control over the prices they can charge because they're creating a premium product, with relatively limited demand so they need higher margins to make viable profits and retailers have no choice but to accept the high margins because they can't get the product otherwise.

As for why people buy them, I for one like to be able to use a higher quality product that holds more wettings so I get more out of each wetting/diaper opportunity I undertake. The point being though that I don't wear 24/7, just whenever I feel like having some fun, so it's more worthwhile having a higher absorbency and a bit of decoration as it improves the experience, where if you're wearing 24/7 you'd end up taking all that stuff for granted unless you save them for like evenings/weekends/special funtimes/etc.

I have to agree with LaunsAuditor's post. Most people that wear 24/7 for personal reasons probably use cheaper/store brand diapers for the majority of the time and save the expensive ABDL specific diapers (Bambino for example) for an occasional treat rather than an everyday thing, kind of like going to Outback steakhouse every once in a while instead of picking up a steak from Walmart/Target and cooking it yourself.

And the people who wear 24/7 for more medical reasons probably have insurance to help offset the expense.

Of course, there could be the occasional person with enough disposable income (high-paying job, rich family, inheritance etc.) that can afford to buy the high-end expensive diapers for everyday use.

On a related note, I have just this morning received a package of 8 ABU diapers - sample packs of 2 each of their Super Dry Kids, Cushies, Little Paws and Preschool varieties. I wanted to test a few to see which I like - I tried their Space diapers before but don't like the full plastic backing, I'd much rather have the soft feel backing - but unfortunately all the high capacity ABU's have full plastic backing, and as the backing gets softer the capacity gets smaller :sad:

As for price, they averaged out at about £2 per diaper (£16 total), but with postage it came to £22 for 8 diapers so about £2.80 each ($3.60 according to today's rate on google)... They get cheaper per diaper and the postage cost is more spread out when you buy larger packs, so once I've settled on a favourite type, which will probably be either the SDK's or the Cushies based on absorbency and they have the softest backing (still plastic but "Buttery soft" plastic, as they call it on the website!), I definitely plan on getting myself a bulk pack next time I stock up, as I only wear them specifically for wetting purposes, not 24/7...

https://www.xpmedical.com/xp-abena-abri-form-4-original-style-briefs-config

^ High Quality & Affordable. Get your own stickers if you miss the prints.

As for the high-end AB designer diapers (which are indeed very pricey), as others stated they are mostly used as a special treat. And of course there are indeed some folks with an absurdly large amount of money who can afford an essentially unlimited supply of diapers, regardless of how expensive they are (damn capitalism, but that rant is for another day).

I deal with incontinence myself, so I am diapered 24/7 and deal with insurance that doesn't want to cover diapers without paying for more expensive medications as an alternative first.

With that said, I am glad I have a job that pays well. I don't usually buy ABDL diapers, but I do spend the money on higher quality diapers. The main thing I get is improved absorbency which turns into less diaper changes per day. I spend about $1.85 per diaper and use two per day. I found that when I used less expensive diapers, it cost me more. At $1.40 per diaper, I needed four per day and often had trouble with leaks. Do the math and it shows $5.60 per day with the diapers that cost less, opposed to $3.70 per day with expensive diapers. Add in there the lower stress from not worrying about leaks, carrying enough spares, etc. and it is well worth the extra money.

I was just asking this question myself earlier, though I think most of the cost comes from making the products themselves. I'm someone who wears 3-4 times a week, so I cant see myself investing 40$ in something I know wont last a month.  On that note, anyone know of any cheap plastic backed diapers? I was using the older style depends before they took them off the shelf. Seems like all brick and mortar stores have switched to exclusively cloth backed >_<

4 hours ago, koopatroopa said:

I was just asking this question myself earlier, though I think most of the cost comes from making the products themselves. I'm someone who wears 3-4 times a week, so I cant see myself investing 40$ in something I know wont last a month.  On that note, anyone know of any cheap plastic backed diapers? I was using the older style depends before they took them off the shelf. Seems like all brick and mortar stores have switched to exclusively cloth backed >_<

plastic backed Tenas are pretty good and not a bad price but not available in the US :(

I typically get my diapers from ABU and Bambino nowadays, but I certainly could hardly afford to wear them 24/7 without becoming legit incontinent, which would mean insurance reimbursement. I get a bag every once in a while, and maybe a sample pack of something new to go with it. $35-45 for a bag or two and a sample every so often isn't that bad, especially given the quality and designs you get. I don't keep too many on hand, and I'm buying maybe once a month at best, so it doesn't eat too much into my budget.

For my situation and habits, it works out just fine. They're something I wear occasionally, and for the times I do, it's totally worth it (IMO, at least) to go for ones I love, vs settle for something not as nice just because they're a little cheaper. Additionally, because I don't have to have them on any rigid timescale, I can wait for the once-in-a-blue-moon sales from Bambino to get their stuff cheaper.

As for an explanation of those wearing premium diaps 24/7, I believe it boils down to insurance reimbursement, the proliferation of FSA and HSA accounts, and the fact that despite the insane poverty rates, wage stagnation, and income inequality in the US, there are still plenty of people in the (continually evaporating) middle class who, for now, have money to spend on niceties.

As I stated before, you really should at least pony up the cash for Abena diapers. Their quality overall seriously rivals that of the ultra-high-end diapers, which I've seen sold for ~$5 per diaper. $60 for a case of 42 diapers is a pretty solid deal when you consider their quality.

https://www.xpmedical.com/briefs/abena-briefs/xp-abena-abri-form-4-original-style-briefs-config

Having said that, there are options that are even cheaper. Yes, these diapers are plastic-backed, and they perform better than store diapers. But I am warning you now: the quality of these diapers is noticeably reduced, and you will definitely experience the difference. You are just simply better off wearing Abena or Molicare, even if you only wear occasionally. But hey, some people like leaky diapers I guess.

https://www.xpmedical.com/xp-tranquility-atn-all-thru-the-night-disposable-brief-config

http://www.vitalitymedical.com/attends-briefs.html

Update: Look hard enough and you can find even cheaper selections:

http://www.vitalitymedical.com/kendall-wings-choice-plus-adult-brief.html

Edited by poads (see edit history)

We all understand you ranting :lol: ABDL diapers are, indeed, a market niche like rainbowdashie said. A luxury item, cheap to produce but only available from a limited number of companies who manufacture them and probably have an arrangement between them to keep the prices high and similar. It’s the kind of market you don’t expect much to grow or decline, but to be stationary. As long as the price results and they get the expected profit, prices will not change…

In the end, most of us scarcely buy them, unless for special occasions. Buying stamps or prints to your diapers is always a cheaper and more affordable way to make them more babyish.

In a related matter, for those who live in Europe and have access to Lindor-Ausonia diapers (at least we have them in Portugal/Spain), I recommend you to try them as an excellent brand with a reasonable price. They have a large capacity (at the level of Tena, the other major brand in our market)  and they are also scented and have only one tape on each side which give a more babyish feeling to them. The tapes can be readjusted multiple times, with good barrier leaks and soft texture, making them one of my favorite diapers.

13 hours ago, HPattern said:

I typically get my diapers from ABU and Bambino nowadays, but I certainly could hardly afford to wear them 24/7 without becoming legit incontinent, which would mean insurance reimbursement. I get a bag every once in a while, and maybe a sample pack of something new to go with it. $35-45 for a bag or two and a sample every so often isn't that bad, especially given the quality and designs you get. I don't keep too many on hand, and I'm buying maybe once a month at best, so it doesn't eat too much into my budget.

For my situation and habits, it works out just fine. They're something I wear occasionally, and for the times I do, it's totally worth it (IMO, at least) to go for ones I love, vs settle for something not as nice just because they're a little cheaper. Additionally, because I don't have to have them on any rigid timescale, I can wait for the once-in-a-blue-moon sales from Bambino to get their stuff cheaper.

As for an explanation of those wearing premium diaps 24/7, I believe it boils down to insurance reimbursement, the proliferation of FSA and HSA accounts, and the fact that despite the insane poverty rates, wage stagnation, and income inequality in the US, there are still plenty of people in the (continually evaporating) middle class who, for now, have money to spend on niceties.

Too your ending statement .

i agree that the ranks of the middle class are shrinking . 

I do find though that those willing to work hard and push can make something far more then the typical middle class wage.

i came from a dirt poor family with my single mother working 12 hours a day 6 days a week for somebody else .

when she passed away I was 17 and had to manage and pay off ( a fair share) of the substantial debt she had when she passed . 

After seeing that I've made a point of never getting in to credit debt , and make a point of what ever job I'm on to be first there and last to leave , and learn anything I can from anyone willing to teach. 

i started my own company at 20 , took a leap and it payed out.  And I've never stopped. 

I don't do drugs , I don't have a 200 channel cable box , 

i purchased my house out right so I don't have rent ,or mortgage  .

i don't buy new cars.

but I do spend my money on diapers ,lots of them .

its really a matter of priority . In my life having cute diapers that are crinkly and bulky trump any other imaginable habit or luxury.

On 5/4/2017 at 9:25 AM, Jota said:

We all understand you ranting :lol: ABDL diapers are, indeed, a market niche like rainbowdashie said. A luxury item, cheap to produce but only available from a limited number of companies who manufacture them and probably have an arrangement between them to keep the prices high and similar. It’s the kind of market you don’t expect much to grow or decline, but to be stationary. As long as the price results and they get the expected profit, prices will not change…

In the end, most of us scarcely buy them, unless for special occasions. Buying stamps or prints to your diapers is always a cheaper and more affordable way to make them more babyish.

In a related matter, for those who live in Europe and have access to Lindor-Ausonia diapers (at least we have them in Portugal/Spain), I recommend you to try them as an excellent brand with a reasonable price. They have a large capacity (at the level of Tena, the other major brand in our market)  and they are also scented and have only one tape on each side which give a more babyish feeling to them. The tapes can be readjusted multiple times, with good barrier leaks and soft texture, making them one of my favorite diapers.

There really isn't any collusion between them on pricing, believe it or not. Look at the prices of GOOD adult diapers. You're talking $1.40 to $2.00 per diaper to get decent absorbency together with features that give added protection. Now, these diapers are made not for the ABDL community, but for the incontinence community first. They don't have the colors, patterns, or specialized things that come with the ABDL diapers. Plain plastics and colors, and because there is a larger community of people who use them, they get made in much larger quantities.

Now, ABDL diapers use different plastics with patterns in them. This is not produced in the same bulk level as the incontinence product, and the limited run amounts result in higher prices. Now you go to the actual diaper manufacturing process, and you have to tear down the setup that was running to get everything set up for what is a much smaller run of product. Are the cutting dies the same? Probably not. Are the places where things are placed on the diaper the same? Not likely. It's probably a full eight hour shift to set up the machine for a much more limited run of product. The manufacturing cost is low--the labor cost is what's expensive!

In the end, the price you pay for those cool ABDL diaper designs is on par with what the manufacturing costs are together with the cost of running a more limited business with lower numbers of products going out the door. Sell five million of an item, you can take a lower profit margin on it than if you only sell five thousand.

The experience I have with all of this is I am an engineer working for a company that produces smaller runs of things, though we have a large number of different products. The cost of tearing down a production setup to move to a different product on the line is part of what runs our prices higher. Forget having individual production lines for each product, the cost of equipment is far too high.

If we want the prices of these things to come down, the best thing we can do is support the smaller companies to where they get to sell more product. Eventually, it will bring prices down.

I think the main reason I never really complained is because I bought my first pack (24 Amors) and got them September 7th of last year, and only last week I used them all (though I did have 6 ABU diapers that I got recently that I have one left of).

I mean, the main thing to keep in mind among all of this is that they're luxuries, so if you really want to save you want to buy in bulk or buy somewhere else. After all, let's check the price of ABU's "LittlePaws" (ignoring the sale they have on mediums at the moment)

10 Pack     $34.99      -     each one-$3.499
40 Pack     $84.99     -     each one-$2.12475
80 Case    $155.99     -     each one-$1.949875

On 06/05/2017 at 6:24 PM, analogrto said:

If we want the prices of these things to come down, the best thing we can do is support the smaller companies to where they get to sell more product. Eventually, it will bring prices down.

In other words - BUY MORE DIAPERS!! And also bring more people into the omutsu/AB/DL fold so more people buy more ABDL diapers so we can all share in the quantity discounts!