Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Pee drinking Cocktail?

• 3 years later...
18 hours ago, Ninji said:

If you drink a bunch of water with extra sodium there won't be enough ammonia in your pee to hurt anyone.

If you want your pee to be drinkable then you shouldn't be drinking pee,  or your pee will have way too much sodium and ammonia. 

If there's ammonia in your pee, you're either a cat or you have a UTI.

• Fresh human urine is sterile and so free from bacteria. Only when it is older than 24 hours, the urea turns into ammonia, which is what causes the distinctive smell.

sincerely, your resident amomonia expert

14 minutes ago, Amomonya said:

If there's ammonia in your pee, you're either a cat or you have a UTI.

• Fresh human urine is sterile and so free from bacteria. Only when it is older than 24 hours, the urea turns into ammonia, which is what causes the distinctive smell.

sincerely, your resident amomonia expert

I see. Urea is the direct metabolic waste, and ammonia is a breakdown product of urea?

You said ammonia gives urine it's distinct smell,  so human pee takes 24 hours to smell like pee? Also if it's just the water degrading the urea there is no chance that no ammonia is present where the urea is,  ammonia is even in your blood and builds up to cause hepatic encephalopathy if the liver can't break it down. 

If it's organisms. . Well people got more organism around them,  up their peehole, and even non offencively in their bladder.  Pee is more sterile than water,  but it's not sterile.

2 minutes ago, Ninji said:

Pretty sure pee being sterile is impossible, and a myth (pee does have less life than tap water) There is so many discrete organisms that lay low in your urethra,  or on the surface of the genitals you're expelling from.

You are correct about that, it's not completely sterile. I was just copy+pasting something from the web quickly - the point I wanted to make was in the second sentence.
It's sterile enough that if there is more than trace amounts of ammonia in your urine, then you have a UTI or kidney disease or something wrong.

Just now, Amomonya said:

You are correct about that, it's not completely sterile. I was just copy+pasting something from the web quickly - the point I wanted to make was in the second sentence.
It's sterile enough that if there is more than trace amounts of ammonia in your urine, then you have a UTI or kidney disease or something wrong.

That's fair, and tbh what I expected.

Ammonia is an important part of organic chemistry and cellular respiration.  I'll do well to learn about tracking it though the body,  and what various urine samples might contain.  Thank you.