Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Anyone have any memories of their potty training days?

On 18.4.2017 at 6:27 PM, Spurgle said:

Nope and it's unlikely anyone actually will, as I understand it our brains forget such early and largely irrelevant memories to make room for more recent and relevant ones. 

"Irrelevant" is not an absolute concept, it varies individually. A lot of people, like myself, have always been into this stuff. Maybe born with it, or maybe it has developed during early babyhood, before potty training. Anyways, for a child with this interest or a child who has great difficulties with learning toilet habits, potty training is not as irrelevant a memory as it is for other children.

Some say that it's impossible to remember anything from before age 4, that all the memories before that are not real. And I say: bullshit. A lot of stuff we experience is stored somewhere deep. We can't actively dig for those infos, but they can be triggered and they can pop up. These memories may be more or less distorted, but they can be real. Plus, different people have a different capability to remember. Even though some people can't remember anything from their early days, some can.

What comes to my potty training memories, I only have one, and it's not particularly interesting. I just remember a picture from a bag of disposable diapers. It wasn't the "main" picture on the package front, it was a tiny picture from the side. There were cartoonishly drawn, smiling faces of a boy and a girl, probably to show that the product was meant for both sexes. I remember it because they had yellow hair, and it annoyed me disproportionately much. No person has yellow hair! So why was there a picture of yellow-haired children on the package? My mother tried to explain that the yellow color represents the blond hair color, but I didn't get it. If they're supposed to be blonde, then why were they drawn yellow-haired instead of blonde? I don't understand the emotional reaction I had about that, but oh how I hated that stupid pseudo-blonde bitch with her stupid, yellow pigtails.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, I asked him about it the other day, mentioned I remembered it but couldn't remember the word. He said he'd tell me if he remembered what it was. Last night he invited me over for dinner and to pla

I actually have a distinct memory of my mom putting some kind of absorbant pad into my underwear on one specific occasion while I was presumably potty-training, but memories are weird and so it's actu

I always think it's strange when people have no memories of being that young. I don't my memory is any better than average, but I can recall some events from age 3 onward pretty much. Some of them wer

I don't remember anything about the potty training process, just a few accidents after I was out of diapers.  I remember wetting at night, certainly when I was still in diapers, at least for sleep.  I don't remember getting put in a diaper, but I remember seeing cloth diapers and plastic pants to go over them (late 1960s).  I was still pretty incontinent at night (age 3 or a little younger), though was aware of my bladder some of the time.  I sometimes woke up wet, but often would wake up feeling an urge and quickly start peeing.  Other times I would wake up and start peeing without feeling an urge at all.  I seem to have been aware that I should have used the bathroom, but that it was okay to wet during the night.  I never remember getting up to be changed.  I would go back to sleep after I wet, which sometimes happened more than once a night.  On those occasions, I expect those plastic pants were full of urine the next morning,

I remember I hated using a potty. I felt embarrassed and ashamed if I had to get up and use it in the night (I think I couldn't go to the bathroom because I couldn't reach the light switch) because I hated it so much. I just wanted to use a toilet, and I mostly did. My biggest problem was that I was scared of the flush because I thought it would suck me in.

I also remember my mum was doing a child development course at the time because she was starting to work in childcare, and I liked looking at the pictures for the potty training chapter of one of her books :lol:

14 hours ago, Princess111 said:

I remember I hated using a potty. I felt embarrassed and ashamed if I had to get up and use it in the night (I think I couldn't go to the bathroom because I couldn't reach the light switch) because I hated it so much. I just wanted to use a toilet, and I mostly did. My biggest problem was that I was scared of the flush because I thought it would suck me in.

I also remember my mum was doing a child development course at the time because she was starting to work in childcare, and I liked looking at the pictures for the potty training chapter of one of her books :lol:

I remember being scared of the flush. 

On June 1, 2017 at 2:57 AM, Princess111 said:

And that fear lasted a fair bit into my 7 year old  life

I have been blessed with a good memory all of my life even now in my mid 50's I can recall so much like most I don't remember times before I was two year old at all but I have some very strong clear memories from about 2 years onwards! I was born in a rambling old large house homes of that era had few bathrooms in fact there was only one upstairs toilet / bathroom and a toilet outside in some dark old barns Being a somewhat big chubby toddler I had out grown the little cream hand me down potty from my much older sister! So my potty by this age 2+ was a big light blue Boots the chemist adult size plastic potty "Early 1960's". I remember it so vividly a big round deep potty and it had like a narrow cut out section extending to the handle know doubt made like this with boys bits in mind! No splash guard!

This was all in an era long before disposable nappies Dry Nites or pull up training pants! And no automatic washing machines and when most mothers who had children stopped at home to look after them! So potty training started very early. The potty was always kept under a big old chair in are big old rambling kitchen and by the time I was two and a half I was going potty on my own when I needed to! As the bathroom was such a long way off I kept using a potty maybe longer than most. I was not allowed up the large old stairs on my own I do so well remember a few potty accidents just a couple of times I came in so desperate for a wee from the garden a couple of time early on! I forgot to pull my short trouser and pants down and just sat on the potty and hence wee-weed myself! I think I was just so desperate I forgot what I was doing Well its was all so new! To be allowed to do it on my own! There was never a big deal made if I had any sort of accident and I was never ever told off. I new where my dry cloths were I was expected to change myself! There again at night time to start with my mum would come in to my room when she went to bed say around 11 pm and sit me on a big old white pottery chamber pot that was kept under my bed and she told me this! As I did not remember this time sometimes I never use to wake up she would pull my pyjamas down sit me on the potty and whispered in my ear and tell me to make willy do a wee-wee in the potty sometimes she would make a little tinkling sound and I would just wee that way I was dry at tonight right through from very early on later on I would get up and use the potty myself as I said it was a big old dark house and my bedroom was a long way from the only bathroom! I kept using a potty at night like this if I needed it till I was maybe 7 or 8 even.

I do kind of recall of having a minor laps around the age of 3 and wetting myself a number of times whilst out playing! I think I go so engrossed in the games I used to play I could not be bothered to come in and left it to late and there were a few wetting's! I seem to recall my mum brought me some under pants with hens and sheep and cows on and told me big boys always keep the animals dry! But I think what did it was she also said if I was out playing in are big private garden and needed a wee I could go and pull my trousers and pants down and do a stand up pee-pee on the compost heap! I was hooked at out door peeing from this moment on! And no more accidents!

We often went on long car journeys and then the old blue Boots potty would come with us it had a lid I was never allowed to wee along side the road but always had to sit on the potty. if I was truly desperate my big sister would help me the potty placed on the floor behind the front and back seat whilst we were moving. I remember one time well I woke up busting and as soon as she got my pants  pulled down by my sister I just  could not hold it in and I started to wee it went all over her hands she soon got me sat on the potty! As I say I remember my childhood all so well not just potty moments but so much from way back then!

Kev.
1 hour ago, kevy19 said:
  I have been blessed with a good memory all of my life even now in my mid 50's I can recall so much like most I don't remember times before I was two year old at all but I have some very strong clear memories from about 2 years onwards! I was born in a rambling old large house homes of that era had few bathrooms in fact there was only one upstairs toilet / bathroom and a toilet outside in some dark old barns Being a somewhat big chubby toddler I had out grown the little cream hand me down potty from my much older sister! So my potty by this age 2+ was a big light blue Boots the chemist adult size plastic potty "Early 1960's". I remember it so vividly a big round deep potty and it had like a narrow cut out section extending to the handle know doubt made like this with boys bits in mind! No splash guard!

This was all in an era long before disposable nappies Dry Nites or pull up training pants! And no automatic washing machines and when most mothers who had children stopped at home to look after them! So potty training started very early. The potty was always kept under a big old chair in are big old rambling kitchen and by the time I was two and a half I was going potty on my own when I needed to! As the bathroom was such a long way off I kept using a potty maybe longer than most. I was not allowed up the large old stairs on my own I do so well remember a few potty accidents just a couple of times I came in so desperate for a wee from the garden a couple of time early on! I forgot to pull my short trouser and pants down and just sat on the potty and hence wee-weed myself! I think I was just so desperate I forgot what I was doing Well its was all so new! To be allowed to do it on my own! There was never a big deal made if I had any sort of accident and I was never ever told off. I new where my dry cloths were I was expected to change myself! There again at night time to start with my mum would come in to my room when she went to bed say around 11 pm and sit me on a big old white pottery chamber pot that was kept under my bed and she told me this! As I did not remember this time sometimes I never use to wake up she would pull my pyjamas down sit me on the potty and whispered in my ear and tell me to make willy do a wee-wee in the potty sometimes she would make a little tinkling sound and I would just wee that way I was dry at tonight right through from very early on later on I would get up and use the potty myself as I said it was a big old dark house and my bedroom was a long way from the only bathroom! I kept using a potty at night like this if I needed it till I was maybe 7 or 8 even.

I do kind of recall of having a minor laps around the age of 3 and wetting myself a number of times whilst out playing! I think I go so engrossed in the games I used to play I could not be bothered to come in and left it to late and there were a few wetting's! I seem to recall my mum brought me some under pants with hens and sheep and cows on and told me big boys always keep the animals dry! But I think what did it was she also said if I was out playing in are big private garden and needed a wee I could go and pull my trousers and pants down and do a stand up pee-pee on the compost heap! I was hooked at out door peeing from this moment on! And no more accidents!

We often went on long car journeys and then the old blue Boots potty would come with us it had a lid I was never allowed to wee along side the road but always had to sit on the potty. if I was truly desperate my big sister would help me the potty placed on the floor behind the front and back seat whilst we were moving. I remember one time well I woke up busting and as soon as she got my pants  pulled down by my sister I just  could not hold it in and I started to wee it went all over her hands she soon got me sat on the potty! As I say I remember my childhood all so well not just potty moments but so much from way back then!

Kev.

Great stories Kev

• 1 year later...

I remembered something about potty training, not my own but something I witnessed many years ago when I was about 5 years old that has stuck with me ever since.  I was at a daycare outside playing with the other kids.  The teacher came out to tell everyone it was almost time for lunch.  I was next to a little kid, maybe 2 1/2 or 3 years old and apparently in the process of being trained, when the teacher asked if he needed to go potty.  He didn't say anything after being asked two or three times.  The teacher undid his pants and opened his (cloth) diaper to see if he was wet.  Sure enough, there was fresh urine pooled in his diaper.  He may have been peeing while she was asking him if he needed to go.

I remember going for a walk with my mother at Christmas time when I was about four and mostly potty trained. I really had to go, so we went home and she was trying to unlock the door and I went behind a bush and peed my pants. It felt so good. I went behind the bush because I knew I wasn't supposed to do that, but I also really couldn't wait until we got in the house and I didn't pull my pants down because I didn't want the neighbor to see me with no pants.

Another time I was allowed to pee in the backyard because I couldn't make it to the house. I never would tell my parents until the last minute, and my mother didn't want to encourage pants peeing. I was so happy.

When I was 3 or 4, my mother and I were in the woods on our property raking pine straw.  It was a few hundred yards from the house and bathroom.  I started having to go badly and told her that I needed to '"wee wee".  She told me to go there in the woods, so I undid my pants and peed on the ground.  It was cool weather, because I remember seeing steam rise from where my stream hit the ground.  My mother praised me for telling her that I had to go instead of wetting my pants.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I started using the potty chair at 3.5 years of age, and the big toilet at four.

My mother didn’t believe in letting me use a tree or bush (at least at first) so until I started elementary school at age six (actually almost seven) I was allowed to wet on my mother’s lap or shoulders on walks around the neighborhood. On car rides I was usually allowed to pee in my car seat/booster seat if I needed to go. With a few rare exceptions I was not allowed to soil (poop) myself if I needed to go unless it was absolutely unavoidable.

In fact, my father (who is generally less understanding about accidents than my mother) actually only allowed me to go in my pants once (that I can remember) when I was growing up. 

The way that this happened was that my parents, my sister and I were on a road trip to Niagara Falls and we were visiting some relatives on the way. At this point, I was six, almost seven. I still wasn’t very good at using unfamiliar bathrooms yet. Earlier that day, I managed to pee in the toilet at the relative’s house but the attempt to poop produced no results (even though it felt like it did). I wiped (just in case), but there was nothing there. This was the proverbial “ghost poop”. 

After this, I put my pants back on and fastened my belt when everything was pulled up. I started washing my hands at the sink and it was at this point that my bowels moved with absolutely no warning. At this point I was no longer in diapers (at least during the day). I wonder if the proverbial “ghost poop” is commonly associated with accidents shortly after, of if it is just me. 

After I dried my hands and came out of the bathroom my parents noticed what happened. They were very understanding about it, and my mother even thought that it was cute. (I was born prematurely and was very small for my age. I didn’t look like a baby anymore, but I was still small enough to pass for an older toddler or someone in their very early preschool years.) With the relative’s permission she gave me a bath, and helped me get dressed when I was all clean and dry.

Later on, we were walking around the neighborhood and my father and I both needed to pee. He took me to an outhouse and after he showed me how to pee in one I managed to do the same. After I finished peeing (and zipped up) I told him that I needed to poop. He told me that since this was an outhouse there was no toilet paper available. He asked me if I could wait a half hour to an hour until we got back to the house. I told him “no” because I honestly couldn’t wait that long. He told me to go ahead and do it in my pants right there so my other relatives wouldn’t need to see me “go”. I hesitated at first, but my father told me to just go on and do what I needed to do since I would have “droopy drawers” soon enough anyway. By the third time that he told me that it was okay I bent my knees a bit and did what needed to be done. I don’t remember doing this many other times (with or without permission), but it is likely that this type of thing happened much more often than I recall because I eventually ended up with the nickname “droopy drawers” which my father has occasionally called me even in the last ten years.

When we came out of the outhouse, my sister and mother asked what took so long and my father explained what happened. My sister was grossed out, but my parents didn’t mind. The other relatives said that I was a bit too old to be doing this. They didn’t know about the complications from my premature birth that effected my ability to hold it (both ways) and to a lesser extent my talking and walking. When I talk even today my rs tend to come out sounding like ws. I still have the occasional accident (both kinds) but it doesn’t happen nearly as often as it used to.

My memories of my actual training start at age 18 months to two years. They consist almost entirely of my mother putting me on the potty chair and saying, “Do your tinkles, Tommy. Do your tinkles!” (Sometimes along with a sound effect that she would make with her mouth that sounds like running water). By about age three-and-a-half (or even four) when my bowel training started my mother would put me on the potty chair (and later the big toilet) and say “Do your jobbies, Tommy. Do your jobbies!” (also along with a sound effect that she would make with her mouth that sounds like blowing a raspberry or squeezing mustard out of a plastic container (they didn’t have ketchup in squeeze bottles back then as far as I know)). To my knowledge, I was never told what to do beyond this. That (along with the fact that back then my father still had to work until dinner time or later to make ends meet) might partly explain why I took so long to train.

I mentioned this to my mother recently and she confirmed that my memory of this was actually accurate and she was surprised that I still remembered it since it was not something she ever remembered mentioning (and I don’t remember her mentioning it either). She told me that around my second birthday my pediatrician told her that it was time to start my toilet training. He also said that “tinkle training first” was the way to go, because that was what they thought back then in the late 1970s.

My bowel training started as late as it did because my urine training didn’t produce any significant results until around age three-and-a-half. When we were out and about and there was no bathroom available my mother would tell me to “go” in the same way that she would if I was on the potty chair or toilet if it was clear that I couldn’t wait until we got home (whether I had a pamper on or not at that particular moment).

From what I can gather my toilet training (such as it was) was (in essence) mostly what today is called “elimination communication” except that it was started at least a year later than EC proponents typically suggest starting it in their articles and on their blogs.

I wasn’t able to use any toilets outside the house until I was in preschool at five-and-a-half and even then I was not even close to 100 percent successful in this. But at least I learned how to pee standing up at age four when my father showed me how to do that in the big toilet on some random weekend. At five-and-a-half in preschool, another student showed me how to use the urinal.

By age six in kindergarten the diapers came off (at least during the day) and I was pretty much trained at that point. 

I don’t have have a “photographic memory” (I sometimes wish it did, because it would make my IT/Computer Networking studies much easier). My memory is still significantly above average, though and (for what it’s worth) I actually have absolute pitch (sometimes called (accurately or otherwise) “perfect pitch”.) But aside from remembering Windows startup and shutdown sounds and some miscellaneous computer beep codes during startup on some older computers it is of relatively little use to me. I probably have this ability and an above average memory due to being somewhat on the spectrum, as a neurologist told me in my second half of Freshman Year in college.

Edited by RDFan2020 (see edit history)

Just one from when I was six years old. I was four to six years old, no longer wetting the bed, but still some accidents during the day. I was reading a book when my older brother called me over, and when I went to see what he wanted. He was with his friend, and my brother lifted up my dress and whispered my "safe word" into my ear, and on cue I started peeing with a smile on my face expecting a candy. I only vaguely remember what my safe word was, but it was a word used by my parents to potty train me by letting me know it was okay to pee, and they'd reward me with a candy afterwards. I'm guessing he overheard it, and he probably used it more than once, but I only remember that one time.

6 hours ago, trekkie said:

@silvermoon Knowing siblings in general, I am not surprised your brother used the fact that you had a pee-on-command word to do that. I wonder if he said the word now, what would happen?

Also, is he autistic too?

Well, he'd better have more than candy ready for me if it still works.

And nope, I'm the only one in my entire family that's autistic.

16 hours ago, silvermoon said:

Well, he'd better have more than candy ready for me if it still works.

And nope, I'm the only one in my entire family that's autistic.

And here I'd figured the way you take your incontinence in stride, you'd not be overly bothered by it. Especially if he really did give you candy. If you like candy.

You could test it out, maybe have one of your parents, or him, use it when you're not expecting it? "We're going to that restaurant on Saturday. Oh, and [casually says the word].

Anyone in your family have even one or two autism-like traits, even if not to your degree? My dad had a couple, though nobody'd ever probably think of diagnosing him with anything.

Edited by trekkie (see edit history)
6 hours ago, trekkie said:

And here I'd figured the way you take your incontinence in stride, you'd not be overly bothered by it. Especially if he really did give you candy. If you like candy.

You could test it out, maybe have one of your parents, or him, use it when you're not expecting it? "We're going to that restaurant on Saturday. Oh, and [casually says the word].

Anyone in your family have even one or two autism-like traits, even if not to your degree? My dad had a couple, though nobody'd ever probably think of diagnosing him with anything.

I don't remember exactly what the word was, except that it was a word unlikely to come up during normal conversation and possibly an ingredient in soda, or a completely made-up word. Though knowing my brother if I brought up the thing I remembered to him while we were alone, if he remembered he'd casually say it right then and there just to see what would happen.

As far as I know, no. It's just me.

5 hours ago, silvermoon said:

I don't remember exactly what the word was, except that it was a word unlikely to come up during normal conversation and possibly an ingredient in soda, or a completely made-up word. Though knowing my brother if I brought up the thing I remembered to him while we were alone, if he remembered he'd casually say it right then and there just to see what would happen.

As far as I know, no. It's just me.

Would you be willing to try that experiment, ask him (and if not him, one of your parents) to try it on you and see if it still works, especially now that you have less control?

And if it didn’t work when you were expecting it, maybe try it later; you could talk about a mutual interest of yours while your bladder is not empty, and have him surprise you with the word during that conversation. It’d also make sure it was the word and not the way any distraction might do it.

(Also, maybe he’d remember the way your parents did it; was it usually whispered in your ear the way he did it that time? If so, he might do that way.)

17 hours ago, trekkie said:

Would you be willing to try that experiment, ask him (and if not him, one of your parents) to try it on you and see if it still works, especially now that you have less control?

And if it didn’t work when you were expecting it, maybe try it later; you could talk about a mutual interest of yours while your bladder is not empty, and have him surprise you with the word during that conversation. It’d also make sure it was the word and not the way any distraction might do it.

(Also, maybe he’d remember the way your parents did it; was it usually whispered in your ear the way he did it that time? If so, he might do that way.)

My parents never whispered it.

I'll probably just bring up the memory to him and let him decide on his own if he wants to tease me or not.

Not of potty training itself, but of what happened immediately afterward.  I had grown up feeling uncomfortable in girls' clothes, and preferring to wear boys' clothes, but was forbidden from doing so.  The only boys' clothing I was allowed to wear were my training pants, because they were hand-me-downs my mother had gotten from one of my cousins.  They were boxer briefs printed with patterns of planes, gears, and dogs.  I loved wearing them & my favorite pair was the one printed with gears.  As soon as I completed potty training, my mother came into my bedroom & started taking all of the pairs of training pants out of my dresser.  She said she was handing them down to my younger sister, so that she could start potty training.  I felt disappointed as she took all the pairs of training pants out of the drawers, but did not say anything.  Then, she replaced them with a pile of pastel colored panties with lace and bows.  Seeing what my beloved training pants were being replaced with was even more disappointing.  Only one pair of training pants was left to take away.  I had to strip down and hand the last pair of training pants which I was wearing, to my mother.  And then, I never saw them, again. 

Throughout the rest of my childhood & teens, my mother and sister routinely mocked me for not being feminine enough.  By the time I was about 8 years old, they decided that I was a lesbian and began mocking me for that.  It turned out they were correct.  The point is that I would not have the opportunity to wear boys' clothing again for many years.  That's why my training pants had meant so much to me as a toddler.

When I started Kindergarten, my mother, sister, and I were living at a secret location away from home because someone was threatening to hurt us.  We lived in a single room with no water, plumbing, heat, gas, or electrical outlets.  It was an odd situation.  The only things in the room were a mattress on the floor, a plastic children's table, and a plastic children's training potty which served as our only toilet.  The plastic potty was right next to the little table, where my sister and I ate.  There wasn't any way to have any form of privacy while using the toilet.  I have memories of using the toilet in the morning before school, as my sister ate cereal at the table right next to me.  And vice versa, where I would be the one eating at the table.  I also remember sitting in bed while my mother squatted down to use the tiny toilet right in front of me, plenty of times.  Essentially, we became really used to using the toilet around each other for about 4 months.  It isn't technically a memory of potty training, but it is a memory of having to use a children's training potty every day, in a bit of an unconventional situation.

And then, when I was 11 years old, I helped a lot with potty training my younger brothers.  Due to some unfortunate family circumstances, a lot of the responsibilities of raising them were put onto me from that age, onward.  It was pretty simple.  Just give them praise and a M&M or Reese's Pieces whenever they used the toilet.  That turned out to be easy.  Other parts of raising my brothers were more challenging, but potty training went quite smoothly.  Apparently my mom had used the same method (of rewarding using the toilet with an M&M afterward), to potty train me and my sister when we were little.

So while I don't have memories specifically of being potty trained, I definitely have some memories related to it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 4:23 PM, trekkie said:

So, I asked him about it the other day, mentioned I remembered it but couldn't remember the word. He said he'd tell me if he remembered what it was. Last night he invited me over for dinner and to play with his cat.

While I was there he told me that he remembers the word being "gelsacharin", and the moment he said it, it was like a jigsaw puzzle being fit into place, and I remembered other vague memories as well. Then, when it was time for dinner, as he was placing the plate of steak in front of me (one of my favorites), he whispered the word in my ear. It was a small spurt, but when I tried and failed to stop it, it became a flow. That's when he tossed a package of panties and a pink dress at me, laughing over how it still works, before telling me that his girlfriend was trained similarly, but ever since high school squeezing a rubber ducky three times in a row has only worked when she's half-asleep. Apparently he was with her when he got the first text message I sent.

14 hours ago, silvermoon said:

So, I asked him about it the other day, mentioned I remembered it but couldn't remember the word. He said he'd tell me if he remembered what it was. Last night he invited me over for dinner and to play with his cat.

While I was there he told me that he remembers the word being "gelsacharin", and the moment he said it, it was like a jigsaw puzzle being fit into place, and I remembered other vague memories as well. Then, when it was time for dinner, as he was placing the plate of steak in front of me (one of my favorites), he whispered the word in my ear. It was a small spurt, but when I tried and failed to stop it, it became a flow. That's when he tossed a package of panties and a pink dress at me, laughing over how it still works, before telling me that his girlfriend was trained similarly, but ever since high school squeezing a rubber ducky three times in a row has only worked when she's half-asleep. Apparently he was with her when he got the first text message I sent.

That’s awesome, lol. Well, I don’t know how you feel about there being one more thing that can make you wet yourself, but I think it’s adorable. Interesting that it works on his gf too, under the right circumstances. Is she autistic too? 

What else did you remember when he reminded you of the word?

And it’s cool that he keeps clothes for you around, pretty thoughtful. 

I have only one memory, which was probably when I was 4, and I after I was potty trained.

My mother put an old box in front of the toilet to act as a step for me to sit down without help. It suddenly occured to me that it might be more fun to pee under the box rather than in the toilet! Them my mother come in, and seemed to realise immediately what I had done. Her answer was to put some pepper on my pee and push my face towards it, while telling me off. I don't quite remember if my face touched the liquid, but I have always felt that this was my first awareness of the fact that pee can be fun.