Sign In

No Such Thing as a Milk Run - Shadowrun Interactive

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LET's provoke as much chaos as possible and make a custom character among a small mass of people.

This is Shadowrun of all games. More than you could possibly imagine.

Awww, poor Fay. Damn the "out of order" sign! It ALWAYS happens... Oh, and really, Darksyn? "Genuine French fries"? That sounds just as genuine as Miller Genuine Draft! (No offense, people)

Posted Images

Fay pondered the question for a few moments, while Theo took one last drag from her e-cig and put it away.

Finally, she answered. "I agree with you. If they cost us our advantage, we need to go in, do their job and they can sort out the consequences by themselves."

Theo turned and looked Fay right in the eyes. "Excellent. Is good to have professional to work with, even if other girls are... Childish."

Fay buckled herself in as she saw the infiltrator and technomancer enter the garage. "That feeling is Mutual, Theo."

Thankfully, the crew got situated without much fuss, and the van finally got rolling. It looked old, beaten-up, and partially rusted, but the exterior of the van was effectively camouflaged. The worn down and sun bleached logos on the side lead to a shell company that would divert more than enough attention to get the job done, and if the 'Star, or, even worse, Knight Errant troopers got trigger happy? Theo simply stated that it was a "Bad Idea. Very, very Bad Idea for troopers."

The crew rolled along through the busy streets of the industrial district for quite some time. Traffic being what it was, the trip ended up being more waiting than movement.

It was obvious Minah was getting antsy in the back of the van. She had stopped working on her usual array of AR, and was inspecting one of her small hover drones over and over again. Petra seemed to grow more irritated with her cohort's fidgeting, and she looked like she was about to speak up when Theo put the van in park, having moved into a wide alley half a block away from the target facility.

"Another fucking hour and I swear to God..." Petra grumbled as she disembarked, followed by a far more apprehensive Minah. "Comms are active and encrypted." The grouchy ork announced. "Minah, make sure your damn earpiece is on... Then, keep quiet and follow me."

Fay pulled up an AR map annotated with thorough patrol routes, camera placement, and so on - all neatly marked.

"Security outside the building is pretty lax." She announced, leaning her seat back to stretch out. "Until I have camera access, you're eyeballing this."

The map updated in real time with the locations of the infiltration team. A brown dot labeled 'PETRA' hugged close to the chain link fence along the perimeter. After a short time, she passed through - Fay had heard the snip of the wirecutters. Minah followed the ork closely, and they approached the corner of the main facility.

A camera sat far out of reach, some distance above the utility access door. Minah braced herself against Petra before 'zonking' out, leaving her physical body behind to dive into the camera and slave it to the 'runner network, as well as disable any security programs that might trip any alarms. Once the deed was done, Minah got a rough shove from Petra, who carefully crept forward and opened the door a sliver...

Fay saw a warning flash on her map, announcing the presence of an incoming patrol. She grit her teeth for a moment, before speaking up. "Guards incoming, from inside the building. Back the hell out of there and wait for them to take up position."

Subvocal microphones picked up Petra's response. "I can handle two guards, thank-you-very-much."

Sweat beaded on Fay's brow as the saw the pips draw closer. Minah had backed off, and was continuing to move away when Petra threw the door open --

And the duo of Knight Errant already had their shotguns raised, and their IFF cleared.

The beginning of a reaction from Petra was abruptly cut off by two consecutive shotgun blasts to her chest, which was now split wide open, and she fell lifelessly to the ground. Before Theo could even put her foot on the accelerator, the back of the van slammed open, and Minah almost literally jumped inside, closing the door as hard and fast as she could.

"Well, this reeks of a setup." Minah commented from the backseat. "Off comms, I was... I was trying to warn her that I could feel outside electronics closing in. She told me to cram my toaster-witch bullshit."

Fay adjusted her seat as the van picked up speed, and rested her forehead in her hands. "Of fucking course. We need to call up Taylor, this has to be some sort of in-corp politicking or some drek like that."

"Spirits had bad feeling about job. Is unfortunate that feeling is founded." Theo remarked. That raised the eyebrows of the other two runners.

"You're Awakened?" Fay inquired, recieving a nod. "Am not skilled enough to use for job... Felt it was not... Relevant?" The troll explained, "Spirits have been wrong in past."

Minah stayed hushed in the back, sitting against the reinforced bed that made up the floor of the back seat. She was visibly trembling, and tears were in her eyes. It became more obvious as they made their way out into the barrens again that the poor human's cheeks weren't the only thing that was wet. A sniff and a glance over her shoulder confirmed to Fay that Mirah had likely wet herself on the run back to the van, something made more readily evident by the dark patch covering a good part of her jeans.

Finally, the remaining runners pulled into their safehouse garage, the defensive turrets turning to track the crows that took flight after they had passed, though they held fire.

Twenty minutes later, the group sat down at the dinner table that they had first been briefed at. Something needed to be done. Fay was the first to speak.

---

What does Fay speak up with?

A) "We're going to ask some very pointed questions, and if we don't get proper answers, we're done with Taylor as our fixer. (Straight and to the point, the group will require another fixer for any jobs outside the most simple.)

B) "There's no way she could have known that this was a set-up - She was the intermediary for the Johnson who put this job out into the Shadows." (The group will hold on to some trust for Taylormade, for good or ill.)

Status

---

Physical Health: Unharmed (100%)

Mental StateFurious.

Thirst: Slightly thirsty.

Hunger: Fine.

Stomach: Soykaf = Bladder++

Bladder: 45% (Almost half full, with a slight urge.)

Bowels: 31% (A little pressure.)

--

Equipment

Wearing: AR Rimless eyeglasses, Snug dark green T-shirt, skinny jeans, black bra, gray panties.

Carrying: Combat knife w/ sheath (In belt loop), four Medikits (In backpack), collapsible baton (Backpack side pouch, easily accessible.)

Edited by Darksyn
I accidentally a whole word. (see edit history)

Next post incoming, but I wanted to address a couple things. I understand that a big reason for reading the thread is the omo and messing content, and I while I'm fine with brief replies, I would much prefer that vote posts not be a single letter or number, and instead contain some level of discussion or reasoning why each person has chosen a given option.

On top of that, I am open to suggestions, as well as discussion of the Shadowrun setting, the mechanics, things like cyberware, or magic, (For example. Theo is Awakened, but character creation did not contain an option for Fay to be magically active. This was intentional.)

I wish for this thread to be more than a bunch of simple votes steering the story in the direction of fanservice...

If it continues to remain mostly quiet, once the upcoming vote is resolved, and most replies contain little to no content, I will stop accepting votes that do not contain more than a few words.

I don't want to come across as a dick for this particular action, and I should have made it more clear in the original post that it was my intent to foster discussion.

I feel it would result in a more satisfying experience overall, as well as motivate me to keep cranking out story posts, as well as helping paint a better picture of the world Fay and Co. live in.

Edited by Darksyn (see edit history)
24 minutes ago, Mydnyght68 said:

We need answers, and I bet there are other fixers out there.

The Shadows are deep, and you can find about anything or anybody you need if you look hard enough or talk to the right people.

I'm a little surprised more people haven't picked A. Each choice made has advantages and disadvantages, after all, and while I can't spell out the specifics for any of them, I can most certainly say that it is a good thing to keep in mind that Shadowrunning is a literally cut-throat business, and too much trust or trust misplaced can come back and bite one in the ass in a spectacular manner.

Edit: Heading out to run payday errands, so I should be able to get the post churned out around dinner time for west coast time zone.

Edited by Darksyn (see edit history)

"There's no way she could have known that this was a set-up - She was the intermediary for the Johnson who put this job out into the Shadows." Fay decided, after a considerable period of deliberation.

Theo nodded slowly, while Minah had a look of relief on her face.

"Here goes nothing." Fay sighed. She put her commlink roughly at the center of the table after she dialed, and the AR-hologram of Taylormade answered the call after only a single ring.

To say she looked haggard was an understatement. The previously cheery young dwarf looked pale and sweaty, and there was an element of fear in her eyes.

"I-I-I know this looks REALLY bad, but p-please, hear me out."

Fay's eyes flicked between her companions. Minah looked genuinely concerned about the panicked woman on the other end, while Theo had softened, if only slightly.

"There's nothing to worry about from us, Taylor." Fay answered in a level tone. "You look like you figured it out around the time Petra got slotted."

"She's dead? Fuck!"

"Do not blame yourself, Taylor." Theodora soothed, in a surprisingly motherly tone, "She made wrong call, and has paid price for it."

"Still," Taylormade choked out, before she paused to take a deep breath. Judging by the rapid swallowing the group could see, it was clear that their fixer was trying to keep down her bile.

"If... If you're not going to shoot me, I have a way that this can be dealt with. It's far off, and you'll need to find more information and stock up some supplies, maybe recruit another 'runner.."

"What do you have?" Minah inquired, sounding hopeful. Fay had to suppress a chuckle. Minah had not been a fan of Petra, but she could connect the dots, based on what she knew about the young technomancer.

"She wants to know so she can shoot somebody for making her pee her pants." Fay noted, prompting a surprised laugh from the dwarf, and a blushy pout of epic proportions from her youngest teammate.

Taylor's face had begun to return to normal. Her breathing had calmed, and colour had returned. "Oh, weelll... I think that can be arranged, Minah."

A muffled grunt was the response; Minah had hidden her head in her crossed arms against the tabletop.

"It's pretty basic, if you ladies have ever done any backtracing on a previous employer, or had to deal with a corporate Johnson who thinks he can fuck with the Shadows. I'm going to need various pieces of information. Things linking to the project, a potential ID on our backstabbing dickhead, and... Enough people and firepower to smash into a corp enclave and fill him full enough with lead that you could use his dick as a pencil. That means money and connections, which are things I can line up, if you can give me a couple of hours."

Fay nodded, understanding the potential effort that might be required. "Deal. Just... From now on, if you can't write a biography for our Johnsons, don't send the contract our way, fair enough?"

Taylor nodded firmly. "Loud and clear, Varan. Take some time and get prepped."

The hologram faded, and Fay retrieved her commlink, which she slid back into her pocket with a heaved sigh.

"This is going to be a long job."

She recieved two grunts of affirmation.

---

From this point on, interaction will take a sharp increase. I will be allowing choices for important dialogue more frequently, to better allow Fay's characterization, as well as offering runs for the crew to go on, space for a new runner on the team, as well as opportunities to explore the nearby neighborhoods, districts, and so on - As well as the potential to adopt a particular specialty, or even Awaken magically, SURGE is also a potential effect, but similar to the Awakening, it will require some particular circumstances.

Things to do: Pick as many non-conflicting actions as desired, the highest voted will be chosen.

A) Spend time with a member of the crew (Specify who and for how long)

B) Get something to eat. (Available: Chips, NutriSoy Retro TV Dinner. The fridge is pretty empty, as is the safehouse pantry.)

C) Get something to drink. (Available: Filtered tap water, assorted juiceboxes, cheap wine.)

D) Go to the bathroom. (Will always empty Bladder, will empty Bowels if fullness is 50% or higher.)

E) Check the 'armory' for gear to be used on the next run. (It's more of a stash of guns, some hefty tools and assorted melee weapons, none of particularly great quality.)

F) Flirt with a crew member. (May not lead anywhere yet, but a fun way to pass the time.)

G) Take a walk outside and head somewhere. (Specify location from the following list: Barrens, Park, Fast Food, Street Doc, Arms Dealer.

---

Status

---

Mental StateMuddled.

Thirst: Slightly thirsty.

Hunger: A little hungry.

Stomach: Nothing. Will increase hunger/thirst.

Bladder: 55% (Fairly full, considerable urge.)

Bowels: 35% (A little pressure.)

--

Equipment

Wearing: AR Rimless eyeglasses, Snug dark green T-shirt, skinny jeans, black bra, gray panties.

Carrying: Combat knife w/ sheath (In belt loop), four Medikits (In backpack), collapsible baton (Backpack side pouch, easily accessible.)

As the responses are all over the place, but limited in number, I will try to fit what I can all together. This means the next post will have

30 minutes with Minah to chat and grab a bite to eat

20 minutes with Theodora to chat

Inspect the armory

Go to the bathroom.

I will be heading out shortly, but once I return, I will be providing a post!

Minah seemed to be taking the soured 'run particularly hard. Even as Theodora had headed off to work on her van, the poor girl had her head in her hands.

Fay stepped over to the technomancer and put a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "'Runs go bad. It's the danger of being in the biz." She explained, leaning down to rest an elbow on the table, in an attempt to get a look at Minah's face.

She did, and what she saw pulled at her heartstrings. The relatively innocent girl looked to have been crying ever since the adrenaline had worn off. Whether over her humiliation, Petra's death, or the situation she found herself in, all the same, her cheeks were damp and her eyes puffy.

Minah looked back at Fay, resting the side of her head on her arms. She sniffled, let out a shaky sigh, and spoke. "I knew the risks getting in. Before this, though... The only work I've had has been a few datasteal jobs. Get into their systems, give them the finger and leave with my payday. It isn't always that easy, huh?"

"Not ever. 'Easy' jobs are the ones that tend to have complications. You saw that today." Fay gave Minah's shoulder a squeeze and straightened back up. "We can talk some more about this if you need to. Maybe over some fries and a shake? Sticking 'round here by yourself is only gonna make things worse - Speaking from experience."

Minah pushed her chair away from the table and used the back of her hands to dry her eyes and cheeks. "Yeah, maybe some air will help."

Fay cracked a small smile. "Ain't fresh, but outside is still outside, right?"

The walk proved mostly uneventful. Living on the edge of the Barrens placed the safehouse between the 'poor' part of town, and an area that could describe area better with simply 'poor', and not with 'town'. Squatters lived in condemned buildings, running on stolen utilities redirected by the few honestly altruistic folk in the city, or by criminal landlords who would extort those unlucky enough to need shelter with no other options.

Despite the barely contained squalor, it wasn't a sewer and thankfully did not smell like one, unlike some other, less fortunate sectors of the sprawl.

The two 'runners had picked out a burger joint not far from the inner-city wall that separated the cheaper suburbs and the abandoned ones. The food was alright for mostly soy, potatoes and krill patties, and the prices were surprisingly low for one of the only half-decent eateries outside the city itself.

As they entered, they were greeted by the smell of only the 'finest' flavour mix-enhanced cheeseburgers less than fifty nuyen could buy, with the added bonus of actual, genuine french fries. Minah relayed her order to Fay, and headed off to find a comfortable booth to sit at.

Only a minute or so later, Fay returned with a pair of medium fries in their respective cardboard boxes, and a pair of strawberry shakes.

Sliding into her seat with a grin, she popped open the squat box that contained the glorious, crispy fries. They were still too hot to eat, but the smell was enough to put her at ease, and it appeared that Minah felt similarly about the only 'real' food in the sector.

"Is it always this hard to lose a fellow 'runner?" Minah spoke up suddenly, having paused halfway before taking a sip of her shake.

"It depends on the runner. I'm a little surprised it hit you so hard, you and Petra seemed to be bickering constantly." Fay remarked, getting to work on her own shake.

"Just because she was a stupid jerk doesn't mean she needed to get shot in the face." Minah sighed. "Naive, right?"

"Maybe a little." Fay admitted, "You've got a good heart, though. Not a common thing in a line of work so dark. There are some absolute nutcases out there, and you seem to have a good head on your shoulders, and a sense of justice. That puts you way ahead of a lot of people."

The two began to pick and choose the fries that seemed the coolest as the spoke,

"What do you mean, Fay?"

"Well, not common knowledge, but I'm not exactly from a poor family. Mom and Pop worked for Shiawase in administration. To cut quite a long story short - So I can get to the point - I saw what things looked like outside of the enclave when I hit my teens, and I thought it was a gigantic pile of bullshit. I ran from it, took as many secure credsticks as I could with all of my savings, my college funds, everything, and I came down here and tried to help. Got mugged, lost most of my nuyen, woke up on a street doc's table. Had to run to pay him off."

"Shit," Fay laughed, "Still long as hell. Point is, I ended up down here 'cuz I want to change things. It's hard, it's dirty, it can be revolting, and it's hard to keep to any moral code and still 'Run. I try, though. You do, too. That's worthy of respect."

Minah smiled softly. "Didn't need the life story, Fay... But thanks. I just don't want to turn into the monster that most people think technomancers really are... and I'm glad I'm not alone in trying to do what I can to help people."

Fay popped a fry into her mouth, savoring the glorious, fluffy, crispy, artery clogging goodness. "I feel you, there. Gonna get worse before it gets better, though. If you're having trouble with what we're doing, or who we work for... Let me know, alright?"

"I will." Minah nodded, focusing back on her food.

It didn't take long for the two to finish up once they had finished their talk. Before the left, however, Fay needed to take care of something. Her bladder had been nagging at her for a little while now, and she figured it was as good a time as any to take a pit stop.

She hadn't counted on seeing an 'OUT OF ORDER!' sign taped to the door. Her bladder panged in time with her realization.

"Oh, dammit."

Minah was waiting for her outside, and they began the walk back as soon as she stepped out.

"That was fast." Minah remarked, quirking an eyebrow at the 'senior' 'runner.

"Yeah, tends to be when the toilets are out of order. Heard enough horror stories that I really didn't want to push my luck."

"Careful you don't end up like I did earlier." Minah joked, giving Fay's shoulder a light punch, one that was returned with a chuckle.

"In your dreams, Minah, and only there."

It was Minah's turn to laugh. "Ah, touché!"

---

Status

---

Mental StateRelaxed, but I need to pee!

Thirst: None.

Hunger: None.

Stomach: Strawberry Shake - Bladder+ and Bowels+, Genuine French Fries - Bowels++

Bladder: 65% (Need to pee pretty badly. Strong urge.)

Bowels: 40% (Moderate pressure. Could go, if she tried.)

--

Equipment

This is part 1 of 2 of the first intermission. Part 2 will be forthcoming.

18 minutes ago, ExplosiveTurtlez said:

I say we ask them to stop a moment so we can pee. If we're in as deep of a shithole as we are, who's gonna care if we pop a squat in the middle of the street, am I right~?

Perhaps, but if they're in such a shithole, one that doesn't have police patrols... What happens if somebody wants to take advantage of them having their pants down?

1 hour ago, Mydnyght68 said:

Awww, poor Fay. Damn the "out of order" sign! It ALWAYS happens...

Oh, and really, Darksyn? "Genuine French fries"? That sounds just as genuine as Miller Genuine Draft! (No offense, people)

Anywho, this is looking good so far. Can't wait for Part 2...

It does tend to happen! I like to think it's less the omo-fiction trope of the inacsessible bathroom, and more that despite that For-real, ACTUAL FOOD is being sold there, they can't quite keep on top of maintenence.

Of course, it can still be taken as the reader wishes! Death of the author, and all that..

Part two will be in progress in a handful of minutes, just need to eat lunch first.

(No, really. My chronic procrastinating won't push it farther, I swear... ;A; )

A few minutes later, Minah and Fay returned to the safehouse. Theo was nowhere in sight, and the van was unattended, with the garage door closed and locked.

Fay and Minah exchanged glances and shared a shrug. Theodora hadn't been the most talkative person during the time they had known her, and so it didn't surprise them at all to have her quietly run off somewhere to do something.

"She could have at least left a note." Minah grumbled, shaking her head. "Would it kill her to be polite?"

Fay chuckled lightly at that.

"Are you sure she can write in English? She isn't the most fluent speaker either." the elf countered.

"I could just load a linguasoft and read whatever she scribbles in Russian." Minah asserted, throwing her arms up in the air theatrically.

"In cyrillic, even?"

"Damned straight." the technomancer grinned. "My powers have all sorts of uses."

"That's almost starting to sound lewd." Fay joked, making her way down the hall toward the bathroom while Minah made herself comfortable in her 'zonk chair' - Where she sat to dive into the 'net and left her flesh and bone behind.

Of course, fitting for how her luck had turned... As Fay approached the bathroom, she began to hear the sound of running water. A shower. Further approach revealed that it was indeed Theo in the shower. Nobody else they knew could sing in Russian.

Despite the running water grating on her bladder, the elf had to admit that Theo had quite a voice. Of course, even the voice of an angel could not aid her current predicament.

"Theo! Theodora!" Fay shouted through the door, giving the doorknob a testing twist and learning that it had indeed been locked from the inside.

She knocked hard on the door, gritting her teeth as she awaited a response. "Let me in, dammit!"

Perhaps the shower was too loud, or her singing was drowning out the sound of Fay's voice, but Theodora did not respond.

---

What does Fay do now?

A) Knock again. Harder. It might have a chance to get through.

B) The door only has a simple press-lock. A pin or something else suitably small might be able to poke through the small hole in the outside knob to unlock it.

C) Try to find somewhere else in the safehouse to pee. This will allow Fay some relief, but it not deal with the other slowly building need she must take care of.

D) Ask Minah for assistance.

E) Other [Suggest a course of action.]

NOTE: Fay will not intentionally go in her clothes unless she is past 75% on either need.

Additionally If she does let go after 75% point, there's a 50/50 chance that one release will trigger the other, if both are sufficiently full (40%), and this is true NO MATTER WHERE SHE IS.

---

Status

---

Mental StateGotta go gotta go gotta GO! DAMMIT THEO!

Thirst: None.

Hunger: None.

Stomach: Strawberry Shake - Bladder+ and Bowels+, Genuine French Fries: Bowels++

Bladder: 72% (Desperate!)

Bowels: 50% (Relatively full.)

--

Equipment