Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

What words do people hate?

57 minutes ago, homeanddry said:

I was thinking about that the other day, and funnily enough we were talking about it today (a colleague has been throwing it around enough for it to be noted by others - in an environment where there's loads of swearing anyway). I think it's just about the last remaining word that isn't used pretty much routinely. Once that's gone, what will we have left to use in those situations where you really need a particularly strong word to use against someone?!

That's actually my main issue with swearing too much. I have no issues with profanity. But it wears out. It loses its power, and when you really need it, there's nothing left to express your emotions.

There's nothing wrong with he word "cunt", though. Nothing fucking wrong at all. :wink:

I mean, it's kind of harsh, and I think such a beautiful concept deserves more than one syllable. "Pussy" is kind of cute. I like "pussy", as well as pussy, if you catch my drift. Where was I? Oh, right. There is nothing inherently wrong with "cunt", it's just that there are so many poetic words to describe this wonderful part of human anatomy, and "cunt" is not one of them.

I'm going to have to stop saying "cunt" now. I'll wear it out. Which is a myth, by the way, ask any woman if she ever felt literally worn out from just your tiny... okay, okay, I'll stop here.

35 minutes ago, randomkath said:

There's nothing wrong with he word "cunt", though. Nothing fucking wrong at all. :wink:

I mean, it's kind of harsh, and I think such a beautiful concept deserves more than one syllable. "Pussy" is kind of cute. I like "pussy", as well as pussy, if you catch my drift. Where was I? Oh, right. There is nothing inherently wrong with "cunt", it's just that there are so many poetic words to describe this wonderful part of human anatomy, and "cunt" is not one of them.

I was thinking more of its use as a derogatory term aimed at someone who's particularly irritated you! As an anatomical term though, its use doesn't seem all that common to me, but it does sound a little harsh when it does. It always just sounds old-fashioned to me. One former colleague used it a lot (he usually turned most topics of conversation around to the female anatomy somehow) and he was a chap in his mid-fifties, very well educated and equally well spoken, with a substantial beard - that just says all that needs to be said really!

• 2 weeks later...

Me, I have quite a long list:

- Anything that is a shortening of any real word or phrase (since the meaning often dies). "Lol" for example is often said by a stone faced human barely edging out of a state of boredom, rarely laughing audibly, let alone loudly.

- "Like" any time it is used out of context. I am like sooo sick and tired of like everybody using it like of context like. Bugger off into the next galaxy you* incompetent arsemonkeys!

- The phrase rather than word of "I can't even". Yes, that's right you* illiterate fool, you can't even finish your own bloody sentences!

- "Feminist", because every time someone says the word they are either angering me at news of someone trying to get vengeance at historical bigotry, or angering me with a personal attack on someone.

- "Autistic" any time it is used out of context. I am Autistic, so imagine the equivalent of nasty anti-Semitic jokes heard by a Jew every time someone casually calls something 'Autistic'.

- "Cancer" any time it is used out of context. I do not have cancer, but like above it mangles an important word with insulting carelessness.

- "Memes". Oh shit, it's another forced joke attempt just for the sake of perpetuating 'memes', regurgitated memorials for a dead gorilla for the millionth time, more cat and dog worship, or some aggressive political propaganda pretending to be innocent or informative pictures. I have this friend from my martial arts club who is great in the offline world, but then floods Facebook with DoggoPupperIsThisMemesHarambeShareOrDieLifeIsMeaninglessWhenBaeDoesStuffGetTheCluckOffMyInternet that makes me regret social interaction.

- "Islamist". It's like a filthy peasant's witch-hunting call to arms. They're called Muslims you* thoughtless brick!

Venting complete, I am now satisfied.

[Note: By 'you' I am expressing at no individual or group, it is a rant at a convenient wall in the stead of relevant humans.]

Funny enough, there aren't really any words in the English language that I hate. Sometimes hearing some word makes me flip my shit so bad it scares Satan, but it's always because someone pronounces it in a horrifyingly disgusting manner, not because of the word itself. Well, I guess I have some kind of dislike towards the words where there's a "w" or "wh" in the beginning syllable and a z-sound in a later syllable. Wheeze. Woozy. Weasel. Those kinds of words are hard for everyone to pronounce without making me mad.

But if we were talking about my native language... Holy shit how some people can come up with the most moronic, gag-reflex triggering, incomprehensibly idiotic slang equivalents for words that were just perfect before they ruined them.

I hate the word yolo mainly because i see a bunch of stupid kids doing crimes (like stealing) and their cheap ass excuse is fucking yolo... and the funny thing is i am 20 so words like this should not bother me but it dose

Sorry for the mini rant i am actually pretty nice person in real life its just some things piss me of to no end hugs and kisses all around

21 hours ago, Misteriousmr said:

Speaking of hard to pronounce: I'm pretty fucking good at writing/reading/speaking English, but the name of my favorite animal is nigh impossible for me to say...

Owl

Auwel

Aaaaauuuuuweeeeeeellllllll

It's fucking infuriating

Owls