Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

ok, so here's what I (well, more my sister) needs help with:

We were at a school function thing at a theme park for a 'fun day' (she's 11 and gets days like these... I want to be that young again (I'm 18)). My parents had to leave early (by parents I mean mom) and so I had the wonderful responsibility of taking care of her... yeah...fun... Anyway, I went with her on a few of the rides with her friends and surprisingly they weren't too bad, but I could see that something is wrong with my little sis... Multiple times I've asked her if she's ok and she kept replying yes. Naturally, we went on a few rides, got a couple of soft drinks (that was some good Fanta) and had a laugh. 

Then came time for "sea shells" (basically teacups that moves faster and in all directions). She looked a bit worried but used to love this ride, I knew something was up. I asked if anything is wrong, she shook her head and asked if I could sit with her (there were 3 seats in every shell)and so I did. After the ride we stood up and continued on to the next one, nothing was out of place. Her friends insisted we go on the "anaconda" which is a giant roller coaster with twists, turns and loops. She confidently agreed and so did I.

She sat next to me in jeans and asked if I could help her, I asked: "with what" and she replied with "I need to pee very badly" (She said this as she held herself). Now the ride has already started moving so there was nothing I could do. After the ride we got off and I saw a wet patch on her jeans, her friends also saw it and started laughing. She started to soak her pants in front of all of them. I did the best I could to dry her in the bathroom but it was to no use, she had to go on the bus with wet pants. I hid her pants from most people but her friends still saw it and now she no longer wants to go to school...

What can I do to make her feel better and get her to go to school again?

Comforting your sister and dispelling any bullies is an obvious one but you should also try teaching her to tell you when she needs the toilet and to not be embarrassed about it. If it's an important enough lesson to have an entire Disney Junior show about it, she should certainly learn it. Just don't come off as a mean or strict person who's angry about her accident.

The thing about embarrassing moments is they're seemingly devastating to the beholder, yes it is traumatic but most people wouldn't bat an eye after a week or two as it's quite insignificant to them. Sometimes it's best not to dwell on the matter and dig yourself deeper, just move on it happens to everyone every so often.