Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Would you be interested in an Ascii omo game?

I'd be interested as well.

I'm a big fan of text games, and choose your own adventure style stories, and I feel that Omo fits well in this realm. I think an ASCII RPG style game would be awesome too.

I've been meaning to put my GM:Studio license to good use and lay out a plan for a cross platform interactive CYOA omo story for a while, possibly even a collaborative/multiplayer implementation, or something with an adaptive storyline based on IRL events, seasons, the user's location, random updates I push from a server, type of device, etc, but just haven't gotten around to it with work taking up so much of my time and energy...

Edited by HPattern (see edit history)

ASCII is usually used for dungeon crawlers, which are known for their difficulty. Overcoming these difficulties is Alliance, so I'd be very interested in this kind of a game. In fact, Poowrite already made an ASCII omo game before this forum was even made. And in QBASIC, no less! It's Council, but it is my duty as an Antediluvian to carefully catalogue all aspects of omo game history. Check the attachment below and make sure you read the readme.txt before you start asking questions.

KWEST.7z

4 hours ago, Lisk said:

ASCII is usually used for dungeon crawlers, which are known for their difficulty. Overcoming these difficulties is Alliance, so I'd be very interested in this kind of a game. In fact, Poowrite already made an ASCII omo game before this forum was even made. And in QBASIC, no less! It's Council, but it is my duty as an Antediluvian to carefully catalogue all aspects of omo game history. Check the attachment below and make sure you read the readme.txt before you start asking questions.

KWEST.7z

Looks like Windows 8.1 will not run this, even in compatibility mode. And yes, it was extracted in the C drive as the readme requests. Or maybe it's a x64 architecture that's no good. Either way I'm not running it looks like. Ah well.

5 hours ago, tenck5k said:

Looks like Windows 8.1 will not run this, even in compatibility mode. And yes, it was extracted in the C drive as the readme requests. Or maybe it's a x64 architecture that's no good. Either way I'm not running it looks like. Ah well.

Try using dosbox an emulator of old MSDOS

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, none251 said:

Not dead yet. I'm just getting the basic "game guts" portions coded. I figured it would be best to get those out of the way now rather than try to add them along side the "omo code".

I did add a little "vanilla" lewdity. More than likely this will be optional for the final game.

Just wondering how big is this game going to be?  Idk how much you've been working on it but it seems  like you're moving along pretty fast.  Then again I suck at coding anything. 

Gotta be honest I haven't really set a scope for this.

Ok though. I'm planning on at some point adding in bathroom lines.

For example your team may stop in at the local inn after questing desperate to pee.

But a line of people are waiting for the restroom to become available. 

There's a few ways to present this to the player.

I love randomization in my H-games.

In this situation the player gets the option of continuing to wait in line, and risking an accident, or trying to find another place to relieve themselves.

The outcome is decided semi-randomly.  Will the line move quicker than expected? Will people let may cut in front of them? Will May wet the second she tries to leave the line to find another place to pee? Nothing is predetermined.

The only con to this is that this, sort of, involves a lot of button presses, as opposed to getting a preset paragraph in one button press. Thankfully you can play this game one handed.  And the menus can be used with the mouse.  

Untitled.png

Edited by none251
Why u eat my picture mr.macineman? (see edit history)
On 2/3/2017 at 9:28 PM, supernerd222 said:

It runs in dosbox (or at least it does on my Linux install. YMMV)

The game runs for me in Dosbox on my Windows 7 machine, but when I try to hit play on the title screen I get "Path not found in module KWEST       at address 01A2:0CA2.

I'm not overly experienced with Dosbox, so I might have just fucked something up, but I have no idea what that might be.

Update:

The basic frame work for the non-omo stuff is finished!

Create a character is pretty basic for now until I work a few game balancing things out.

You can be a noble or an adventurer

Adventurers tend to have good def and hp but low attack

Noble's are glass cannons high attack but low def....They tend to have some odd bladder control issues too.

23 hours ago, ihsaromO said:

The game runs for me in Dosbox on my Windows 7 machine, but when I try to hit play on the title screen I get "Path not found in module KWEST       at address 01A2:0CA2.

I'm not overly experienced with Dosbox, so I might have just fucked something up, but I have no idea what that might be.

No clue, can't help you. TBH, though, the game is not that good. Some of the descriptions were cute. The second level seems impossible. Not impossible like, oh, I can't beat this level on the first three tries it must surely be impossible durr. You have to get the key, and then go through a maze and get to the door at the end of the maze. I barely get to the start of the maze before I shit my pants and die. So if it makes you feel better, you're not missing much.