Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Post a meme a day thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And in one day, that's another game on my list of "I've owned this too long, I just have to finish it" now off that list: Super Mario 64. It's revolutionary, it's incredibly historically significant, it changed the landscape of 3D gaming when that was still brand new...but boy does it not hold up, for two reasons: the controls and the level design. Mario has so many animations where he's locked into the animation for so long, he hugs walls unless you really try to separate, he bumps into walls all the time and ruins whatever he was trying to do, his turns are always wrong, so many things adding up to constantly messing up things that would be simple in other games. And I have a direct comparison, because Whomp's Fortress is also in Galaxy 2, and it's just so much easier to play there. The level design, meanwhile, is very dense: big but compact. Because of this, it's really easy to slip off the intended path onto another path and have to redo a bunch in the very vertical levels (Cool Cool Mountain and Tall Tall Mountain). Sure, it's fun to cheat a star in Big Boo's Haunt by skipping the puzzle entirely with a well-placed jump, but it does not even come close to making up for the many stars that took 5-10 minutes simply because of mistakes that wouldn't have happened had the controls been good or the levels designed well. It's definitely a very different feel from the Galaxy games, and in my opinion, a much worse feel. The camera is also bad and frequently gets in the way, but I can forgive that one given its age.

Thankfully, I was doing the big brain play by playing this through the Wii Virtual Console on a Wii U instead of something stupid like 3D All-Stars on the Switch. That way, not only would I get Gay Bowser, but I could "beat things my own way". 50 stars and a BLJ on the endless staircase say hello. You might call me a cheater, but the way I see it, if I didn't want to play more than 50 stars, but will gladly go for all 120 stars in Galaxy any day, that's 64's problem, not mine.

Sadly, I did no QPU jumping, nor did I build up my de facto speed for 12 hours.

d41.jpg

Much like a lot of people, I've now had the chance to bring Vergil out for a spin...in Devil May Cry 3. What? His DLC for 5 costs a whole $5, I don't make that kind of money!

Yep, DMC3 is the only game in the series I own the special edition of, since it was included in the HD Collection. And despite having played the game twice before, I only felt like now I should play as Vergil. I love that he gets access to all his stuff right at the start, with 3 weapons and a Devil Trigger, and I got use out of all of them (though, ironically, my least favorite weapon of his was Yamato). I love that his summon swords deal more damage than Ebony & Ivory, it makes dealing with the more dangerous or mobile bosses all the easier. The limited amount of extra skills meant I was able to buy every ability he has, even if only right before Mission 20. And he's powerful, especially with Beowulf, my only deaths were against the first reaper boss and Geryon, and the only time I used items was against Arkham.

Still, I wish his mode in 3 was...better fleshed out. He gets one cutscene. The Vergil bosses are still Vergil, but in a red coat. The in-game cutscenes that are still there reuse Dante's animations, leading to Vergil suddenly acting wildly out of character. From what I understand, his inclusions in 4 and 5 are handled much better, so I'll just take it as first installment weirdness in the third game. I still say Dante is more fun to play as, especially in 4 and 5, but I liked Vergil more than playing anyone else, even Nero after his buff in 5.

0aa.jpg

Because of these stupid memes, I consistently referred to Judgement Cut as Judgement Nut. I didn't even use the move, I just said it during boss fights and whenever seeing it in the shop.