Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Post a meme a day thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took almost a month, but I did finally see Spider-Man: No Way Home. Whether or not I thought it was good tells you nothing, because I have enjoyed literally every Spider-Man movie. About the only objective thing I can say is that, to compare the two similar ideas, I think Spiderverse is the better movie. That's hardly a detriment, Spiderverse is a fantastic movie, but I think the difference is that Spiderverse feels like it works better standalone, while a lot of my enjoyment of No Way Home comes from seeing all these characters and actors again. Even if there were a few ways I could think of to use them better.

b34

Finished Doom Eternal. I love the 2016 Doom, it's fast, fun, and testosterone-building, so a sequel had a lot of promise. The guns are still satisfying, it's still gory, the added mobility and platforming is good, the exploration for secrets is very well done, everything that made the last game brilliant is still here. So, slam dunk, right?

Nope, because it has one pervasive flaw: it needed someone in development to stop at some point and say "enough is enough". Do we need ice bombs? Do we need flame belch? Do we need blood punch? Do we need empowered demons? Do we need the Crucible to be a separate item when it could have just as easily been an upgraded replacement to the chainsaw? Do we need an enemy like the Marauder that operates on a completely different meta? Some of the new additions are good, I love enemy weak points, but it loses its luster when attached to enemies that are, as a whole, too hard. Doom 2016 was a great difficulty, it was challenging, the average player would die several times on the later mobs, but it never felt insurmountable and it was great to clean up those tough groups. Eternal, much like the original Doom II, aims to be a game for the people that have mastered the original, alienating more casual fans. And, for the most part, it boils down to most, if not all, enemies dealing and taking too much damage. It's absolutely crazy how much punishment the big guys take before finally staggering. And the new enemies are even worse. A lot of people complained about the Marauder, I get that it's weird, but dude. Dude. The Archvile makes the Marauder look like a standard imp. Can put up a shield to negate ALL frontal attacks. Summons more enemies, quickly overwhelming you. Buffs all enemies around it. Can hit you from basically anywhere with very powerful fire. Takes an absurd amount of damage before finally going down. The first encounter with the Archvile was finally the point where I couldn't take it anymore and bumped the difficulty down from Hurt Me Plenty to I'm Too Young to Die. At that level, the rest of the game wasn't too bad, though I still hate the bosses.

It still has a lot going for it, thereby making it a good game, it's just doing too much and expects too much.

009.jpg