Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Post a meme a day thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

d9e.png

I do not own Smash Ultimate, nor do I have any intention to, but I might buy Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl. What they've shown off is promising, but there's a lot of room to grow. Will we get a Chalkzone rep? Will we get the holy trinity of dads, with Stu Pickles, Hugh Neutron, and Mr. Turner? Will this one have voice acting, unlike the kart racers that immediately preceded it? They have the momentum, but still time to lose it.

If all goes well, you're looking at a potential Reptar main.

Yet another game that got really big this generation crossed off my list, with Yakuza 0. It's a lot like Shadow of the Colossus. Hear me out, because it's a game I love everything about...except playing it. It has a lively world with a mind-numbingly huge amount of things to do, a style all its own, a well-told story, I really wanted to like it more. But that was hampered by three main things. One, the scale. It took me 27 hours to beat, and that was without doing so much of the side content, because there's way too much. You're gonna give me this game that's already big, and throw in bowling, mahjong, billiards, pocket car racing, catfight betting, all diversions that I never even touched once? It's overwhelming and didn't need to exist. Second, the RPG elements. Really wasn't expecting this to be an RPG in all-but-name, aside from its length and sidequests, I don't think equipment needs to be an element when abilities already are, and the amount of mobs on the street that act as the substitute for random encounters just bog down the pace. And third, the combat is just boring. Because the game is so long, it gets really repetitive, gun enemies are just an unnecessary headache, and it doesn't flow or chain very well. Like, certain combat stances don't have grabs, the primary means of getting through enemy guards, they have a guard break attack. That attack cannot be chained into or out of, so if someone starts blocking, stop everything you're doing and hit them with one slow attack, then wait to get back into the groove. At that point, just give those stances a third normal attack, and deal with guarding enemies another way.

I've said this with other games, but with my primary complaints being the amount of stuff to do and the combat, I think it's fair to say that Yakuza just isn't my game. So many people love that stuff, so good for them. I finished it because I wanted to see how the story would unfold, and I need to keep my streak of beating every PS4 game I own, but I won't play another Yakuza game. But that's okay, because I played Yakuza 0 on the PS4, naturally with the standard controller, so I'm already a Real Yakuza.

bb4.png

Yakuza, NieR, and Persona. Three Japanese game series that suddenly reached their audience and became huge hits in the eighth-generation. You know what Japanese game was better than any of those, yet its big PS4 revival still didn't catch on? Sakura Wars.