Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Not quite real - Requests?

On 1/11/2017 at 11:27 AM, TVGuy said:

CPU is an Intel Core i7-6850K at 3.6GHz with a max turbo boost of 4.0GHz under load.  The processor has six cores, but because it is Intel it supports hyper-threading, so it can handle 12 simultaneous processing threads.

For GPUs, which handle most of the rendering work when using Iray (in fact, under render options I can select which processing devices are available for doing a render and disable the CPU entirely), I am using dual Nvidia GTX 1080 cards in an SLI configuration.

I think perhaps the problem with her eyes come from the lighting model that Iray uses.  Instead of using virtual lights and ray tracing, it using HDR photometry, generating a scenes lighting from an HDR sphere.  The idea here is to help seamlessly blend real life and 3D models, movie visual effects often take advantage of this technique.  An artist can capture a photograph of a scene, and an HDR photo sphere of the scene to map the lighting.  Then, digitally insert a 3D object into that scene, match the virtual camera with the real one, and light the virtual object with the HDR sphere to have the lighting match.

Why this caused a problem in my sample scene above is that I wasn't just using a model in a real world scene, but the room itself was part of the 3D scene.  The HDR sphere existed outside that room.  Because rendering speeds are dramatically slowed when caustic calculations are enabled, I didn't use them.  Which meant that light bouncing off the room walls and floors didn't affect the model.  The HDR photo sphere I used was a generic one of an outdoor scene.  So, for the model's eyes, you see the refelection of this photo sphere and lighting that doesn't match the scene she appears to be standing in.

Today I will try to do an omo specific scene, using Iray, and see how it comes out.  However, I doubt that any time in the foreseeable future I will be able to produce a scene that looks 100% real.

I apologize for taking so long to thank you for your very informative answer. I can see me doing similar things, not as a competition with you but for other things.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/01/2017 at 4:21 AM, TVGuy said:

That is an interesting observation, as the background was a real photograph and the girl was the only fake thing in the image.

True, true, it's more that the girl looks very..."pasted-on", not actually there (which she isn't, obviously) but with the other pictures the girls look like they're actively a part of their surroundings

Obviously you can see this stuff isn't real. But it works for me - I like it a lot. It wouldn't replace "real" stuff; I like to see real girls sometimes, but it is still something I'd like to see. 

I guess this way you can also achieve a particular look or effect that might not be feasible in real life where you are constrained by available models, available scenes and so on. 

I am particularly attracted to black women but you almost never see black girls in omo photos and video. I don't know why this should be so, perhaps there isn't the demand or maybe you don't get black girls wanting to do this stuff, but with this technology it's got to be as easy as any other colour of lady.