Sign in to follow this  

Posting problems: Site update or my browser?

Okay, I recently(within the last week or so) deleted prefs.js from my Firefox profile in an attempt to fix YouTube's HTML5 player not working so I could uninstall the abomination known as Flash. That worked, and for the most part, hasn't caused other problems.

Now, I'm not sure if the problem I'm having is due to side effects from deleting my prefs.js or a recent update to the forums, but around the time I deleted my prefs.js, posting replies suddenly became a lot harder.

Use to be that I could just:

Press x to put focus on the notify me of replies checkbox.

Shift-Tab to the quick reply text box.

Type my message.

tab out of the quick reply text box.

Press b to put focus on the submit button

press enter to submit.

And the biggest issue was that word wrap would split long words.

Now, I have to:

Switch from default page style to no page style so my screen reader's navigation hot keys can find things.

Press x to put focus on the notify me of replies check box.

Press b to put focus on the submit button(as the checkbox is no longer adjacent to the quick reply text box, but I have to use the check box as a land mark because no page style exposes too many buttons to my screen reader).

Shift-tab to the quick reply text box(which thankfully no longer word wraps in the middle of words, but thanks to no page style, only has a few words per line, which makes reviewing what I've written more annoying, but switching back to default page style causes the quick reply text box to lose focus, and it can't be found while in default page style).

tab out of the quick reply text box and press b to put focus on the submit button.

And to make matters worse, the submit button no longer works unless I tell NoScript to let omorashi.org through, which in itself causes issues with other parts of the forum due to the tendency of JavaScript and other things blocked by NoScript to trip up my screen reader.

Now, I'm sure this doesn't bother any mouse users, but I would think this would be even worse for a sighted keyboard user since most, if not all of the navigation hotkeys I use for sites where tabbing and arrow keys just won't do are provided by my screen reader and not my web browser, and while I'm no stranger to doing things that might seem odd to a sighted user for getting around websites that aren't 100% blind friendly, I usually don't have to do this many metaphorical acrobatics for a single task, and none of the other sites I frequent have been affected this much by deleting my prefs.js(assuming that's the cause and not just a forum update that roll out at the same time), and I've lost several posts to things going wrong trying to adapt to the change and would've lost more posts if I hadn't select all and copied some of my posts prior to trying to submit. I've also tried going into my user control panel, but if there's anything in there to restore the older, easier(at least from my perspective) to use quick reply, I haven't been able to find it.

So, if anyone could clarify if the problems I'm having are due to a forum update or deleting prefs.js screwing something up in how Firefox renders thread pages, and if the latter, suggestions for restoring the old quick reply, I'd greatly appreciate it.

For the record, I'm running Firefox 50.1.0 on a Debian-based 32-bit Linux with the Orca Screen reader, and posting new threads seems to be working just fine.

For what it's worth, I'm running Firefox 50.1.0 on a Debian-based 32-bit Linux and using the Orca screen reader for accessibility.

And by the way, sure none of this bothers

Now, I'm