What's your job?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I give lessons in manners and humility to Donald Trump.  Im not very good at my job. 

I get peed on a lot... I'm a veterinary nurse.

I work in the environmental science field.  Primarily doing environmental impact studies for planned or proposed development sites. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm mostly a college student chasing two degrees and a handful of minors. But to pay the bills I work in my off hours at a bar/lounge/club/whatever as a certified tobacconist. Basically I sell cigars to old men and people my age trying a little too hard. We also have a Vape counter as a side project, which I work sometimes. 
Plus side being I drink there for 25% off and I get a free cigar every shift. 
Downside being that I always have a noticeable smell of smoke on me. 

On 12/26/2016 at 6:17 PM, Jeffery Mewtamer said:

If Food, clothing, shelter, fuel, and computer hardware was as post-scarce as most media, the complete obsolescence of manual labor wouldn't be so scary. Sadly, of these, computer hardware is the only one that's actually dropping in cost fast enough to offset inflation, and that's actually contributing to the ability to put enough computing power into a small robot that it can house a narrow AI so it isn't limited to hard coded routines.

And it isn't just manual labor jobs being threaten by narrow AI. Ever since Google linked Google Translate to Google Brain, the quality of Google Translate has gone from almost gibberish to producing text that actually makes sense. Good news for fans of Japanese pop culture that American publishers wouldn't dare touch, bad news for anyone who translates for a living, and as I understand it, the techniques Google Brain used to improve Google Translate can be applied to a disturbing number of tasks once thought to be impossible for non-human intelligence. Still a long way from a true GAI, but a myriad of narrow AIs might just leave the 99% without any means of convincing the 1% they're worth giving enough money to buy food.

There was a recent breakthrough with a Japanese robotics development firm where one of their AI codes passed a self awareness test that most animals and very young humans cannot pass. I think AI should always be limited with the word "narrow" in front of it. 

On 12/29/2016 at 5:42 PM, jiffyomo said:

I'm a mechanic shop / oil change shop manager. I've always been a car nut so this is perfect for me. 

You play "my summer car" yet? Seems up your alley. There's even a bladder gauge, it allows you to pee on random things. But when the bar exceeds its limit, instead of you wetting, you die from your bladder bursting. Because realism?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2016 at 7:31 AM, supernerd222 said:

The whole self-driving car thing is very exciting to me. I never got a driver's license, and I get around fine on public transit. When I can pay some bitcoin from my phone and an autonomous freelance car shows up at my place to take me wherever I want to go, that will be amazing. Unfortunately, my city is being a dick about even normal human-powered uber, so it's a ways off. The next generation of kids will think of manual driving the way we think of horseback riding. Assuming we survive Trump. All predictions about the future now come with this big asterisk *Assuming we survive Trump.

I think our job as programmers will be the last one to be automated away. Once you can make an program that improves itself, you've already gone full technological singularity.

I used to think 'self driving cars' boring as hell........but they we sit on a train and mostly the guy just watches signals...same in an airplane (seat of the pants flying is long gone.  So why not at least to drive into town..I,ll just sit back and watch a vid while the car does all the work.   But please for my Off roading...   I want the pleasure of controlling (or sometimes not) my 4x4 beast.

I'm older than many of you....I have had many incarnations, but all through I have stayed true to my passion for girls wetting their panties.    I have been, Soldier, Truck company owner, Factory worker, Farmer,  Early retiree........I count myself lucky in that I married young, divorced young and that gave me more than 25 years of being single, owning my own home and being wealthy enough to have the unrestricted free time to entice girls to wet their panties in my house, garden and bed and other places.  I have been shot at, bombed and survived a minor helicopter crash/hard landing due to blade icing (for those of an aeronautical bent).  I probably have paid more child maintenance than some of you have earned in your lifetimes so far.   What counts most of all is that I kept on smiling all through the good and the bad times..Never Give Up..Never Surrender!

I just reviewed this thread, and noticed that we've got a normal cross-section of jobs here compared to what I see most everywhere. Looks like this fetish doesn't seem to follow people into any particular walk of life.

As for my job, I do electronics. I design analog integrated circuits on silicon, basically I create chips that are used to power any of a number of different things, from mundane to wild. Chips I have designed have ended up in cell phones and television remotes (on the mundane end of the scale) and also have gone into the Mars rovers (on the wild end of the scale). It's a fun job, very challenging, and I get paid rather well.

16 hours ago, WetG/F said:

but they we sit on a train and mostly the guy just watches signals...same in an airplane (seat of the pants flying is long gone. 

In Vancouver, we've had fully automatic trains since the eighties. The only time they ever assume direct control is during bad snowstorms and such. One more boring job that we don't need to waste people's time with.

11 hours ago, analogrto said:

I just reviewed this thread, and noticed that we've got a normal cross-section of jobs here compared to what I see most everywhere. Looks like this fetish doesn't seem to follow people into any particular walk of life.

It make sense to me. In other threads, it looks like many of us have had the seed of our fetish basically from the time we started forming memories. I know I was fascinated with diapers before I picked my first career aspiration (geologist, of all things).

On 2/3/2017 at 4:37 AM, supernerd222 said:

In Vancouver, we've had fully automatic trains since the eighties. The only time they ever assume direct control is during bad snowstorms and such. One more boring job that we don't need to waste people's time with.

We have the same in London on the whole of one small-ish light rail network and on a few Tube lines. It's still not unsupervised though, just automatic once it's left each station and when it's all working nicely. That's on mostly modern infrastructure, all well segregated from the outside world.

Everywhere else, there's no automation at all. It can be a very boring job (which is partly why it pays well!), but still one that needs a lot of training and ability (anothe reason) and is very necessary and that's not likely to change any time soon.

On retail - our supermarkets are always pushing more and more towards self-service checkouts, 'scan as you shop' and all that. There's still always plenty of conventional checkouts open though, all with queues. I'm sure they've managed to get rid of a few jobs because of it, though. On the other hand, home delivery and 'click and collect' is more labour intensive, and I can't see either becoming any less of a thing with the rise of online shopping generally.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll list my most recent, current, and what I'm working towards. I joined the company I work for in 2014. I started there as a 'TK Sampling Assistant'...basically it was glammed up admin. The usual spreadsheets, answering phones, replying to emails, with the addition of labelling up tubes and sending them out with the delivery department to various units in preparation for blood samples. My manager and I didn't get along....as in she was off sick more often than she was there (I genuinely think I can count the number of full weeks she ever did on the fingers of one hand...) I left. I moved across into the labs, to be a part of the sample analysis group. I currently work in the sample reception part, so spinning and separating blood to obtain plasma to be analysed, checking blood samples for any clots, sending out samples for analysis at other labs if we can't perform the analysis on site, amongst many other things. I love this job...it's definitely had its ups and downs, but the manager is much, much better...but she's unlikely to be my manager for much longer as her current role is expanding and they're taking the management of sample reception away from her....and I will be applying for the job and hopefully be managing the department. I'm 21....if I can be managing a department at 21 years of age I will feel like I've succeeded. 

Now, my actual goals are to move into the lab. However this is unlikely to happen once I've been the manager of the department. I believe I'll need to do an open uni course in life sciences, biochemistry, or bioanalytical, translational, blood sciences or similar, and then move to a different company. If I can be a senior scientist for a haematological or biochemical analysis lab one day, I'll be extremely happy.

Also, I'm a part time nail technician. Guess where my passion lies hahaha!! 

Well I guess mine's no secret given my username, but as well as an auditor I'm also a chartered accountant (the two usually go together)... 

Unfortunately, I'm being pushed out of my current job due to disagreements with my manager, but since she mostly (though not entirely) exaggerated everything and refuses to offer training for me to improve the stuff that genuinely needs fixing I'm gonna take them for everything I can get before I leave! (even the HR manager is on my side so at least I'm happy it's not just me being bitter!)

• 1 month later...
On 2017-4-4 at 2:22 AM, LunasAuditor said:

Well I guess mine's no secret given my username, but as well as an auditor I'm also a chartered accountant (the two usually go together)... 

Unfortunately, I'm being pushed out of my current job due to disagreements with my manager, but since she mostly (though not entirely) exaggerated everything and refuses to offer training for me to improve the stuff that genuinely needs fixing I'm gonna take them for everything I can get before I leave! (even the HR manager is on my side so at least I'm happy it's not just me being bitter!)

Update - after a month or so on garden leave and a sweet severance package, I started job hunting about a fortnight ago and had received and accepted a job offer within a week! Much better pay, much better company, much better all around, and I get to move to a much more interesting city and frankly there is no way in which I'm losing out here! :grin:

• 1 month later...