Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, EMT said:

Might as well say my opinion on the show. I thought it was overhyped garbage with a boring and predictable story.

It was sooo cuute though. Its interesting on the sports scene because they're actually in a professional Ā (not hs) arena! There also way hot and the animation is beautiful! At a minimum you have to admit the animation took some real effort.

Just now, MangaKitten said:

It was sooo cuute though. Its interesting on the sports scene because they're actually in a professional Ā (not hs) arena! There also way hot and the animation is beautiful! At a minimum you have to admit the animation took some real effort.

Cute doesn't make it good. Sports anime always fall under the same pattern and it just gets boring.Ā 

1. Have character be sort of bad at sport, but they want to improve (make them whiny)

2. Have them introduced to a new partner who they hate at first, but realize they work well together. (MAKE SURE THE AUDIENCE WANTS THEM TO FUCK)

3.Profit!!

Once you watch one, you've watched them all.

15 minutes ago, EMT said:

Cute doesn't make it good. Sports anime always fall under the same pattern and it just gets boring.Ā 

1. Have character be sort of bad at sport, but they want to improve (make them whiny)

2. Have them introduced to a new partner who they hate at first, but realize they work well together. (MAKE SURE THE AUDIENCE WANTS THEM TO FUCK)

3.Profit!!

Eh that's probably true. This was the first sports anime I had seen though. This one is a lot less queerbaity I think. They actually deliver rather than just tease. I got super excited every week waiting for the new release. Have you watched the whole thing? I'm hoping for a second season. The characters were nicely fleshed out and I felt like the story had soul. It really did try to deviate from the formula. Iceskating is as much an art as a sport too which adds an interesting twist.

4 hours ago, EMT said:

3.Profit!!

1. This is the first sports anime I've seen where the MC is well into his prime, rather than just beginning and/or learning. He's better than he thinks he is; he's self deprecating and is actually Japan's top figure skater. It's not a high school setting.

2. Did you...watch the series...? Viktor is Yuuri'sĀ idol. At no point did they hate each other.

Edited by etoile (see edit history)
Just now, etoile said:

1. This is the first sports anime I've seen where the MC is well into his prime, rather than just beginning and/or learning. He's better than he thinks he is; he's self deprecating and is actually Japan's top figure skater. It's not a high school setting.

2. Did you...watch the series...? Viktor is Yuuri'sĀ idol. At no point did they hate each other.

I watched the whole thing. And of course there is slight deviation (liking each other right off the bat), but it usually is all relatively the same.

• 5 months later...

meh. I think you're generalizing a tad too much. Anime is about idealising, hence the various series share common elements inherent to JP culture. Getting married being one of the prime examples, but then again that's a cornerstone of any traditional set of values, isn't it? Personally I see real values of sport anime series in detailed insight about that particular sport and, displayed through it, the possibilities to grow in that particular sport, to achieve something and, well, to be a happy person :) These are indeed present in any anime, as they are inherent to Japanese mentality - at least the one idealized in in anime series :) Do one thing and do it to your best. So don't blame them for well executed motivational videos unsuitable for cynics and nihilists from western world ;-)

Oh and maybe have a look at Hajime no Ippo. It's about boxing and he's not getting married at any point :)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh Hajime no Ippo is great. It's more like a shounen battle anime than a sports anime. And I'd like the concept of sports anime, but they just fall into this same predictable story. If they dropped the yaoi bait and made the story break from the predictables, I think sports anime could be really good. But the generic yaoi bait is what makes the studios money sadly.