Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

I took one of my cats to the vet for his bath and lion cut, and while we were waiting to be called in, I picked up an issue of "People" (or as I call it "People No One Cares About") and flipped through it...75-80% ads.  Paged through "Family Circle", too...80-85% ads.  Finally, I picked up "Better Homes and Gardens" which was practically nothing but ads...no wonder why you get it for free for a year when you buy a Better Homes and Gardens product from Walmart!

I don't understand why people even bother subscribing to most magazines.  Complete waste of money.  But, maybe some people really like reading ads.  The same people probably love watching commercials, too, and not just during the Super Bowl.

7 hours ago, Jeffery Mewtamer said:

^There are magazines you don't have to manually renew?

I don't know, it's been probably 20 years since I last had a subscription (and my parents would have been the ones doing the subscribing).  I figured it was one of those things like TV or internet, where it automatically renews month after month unless you cancel.

Many years ago, mom and dad gave me a gift subscription to the now-defunct "Winston Cup Scene", a weekly NASCAR paper, which was awesome.  It had all the results from the week's races, and points totals, and a feature called "The Way it Was", which I dearly loved.  When they quit publishing it, my subscription was replaced automatically by one to "NASCAR Illustrated", a monthly magazine that was total crap.  About the only cool thing it had in it was a poster every month, other than that it was just stupid fodder a true fan wouldn't care about:  tweets from the Sprint Cup girls and wives of drivers, several pages of pictures of Brian Vicker's new house, interviews with "celebrity" race fans, and the dumbest driver interviews ever where they weren't even asked anything about racing, just stuff like "do you have any pets?" and "let's put your iPod on shuffle and see what plays" and "what's your favorite midnight snack?"  Even though they did have a few redeeming things in issues a couple times a year, like before the season, and right before the Chase, it wasn't enough to keep me reading, and I asked my parents not to renew it. 

Guest tholepin

@LucyVersion2.0  A magazine for you is Sun, a mag for writers. No ads, just damn good writing, poetry and photography. 

It's fueled by contributors; however, it is a badge of honor to get a rejection slip from Sun. You can find an issue in your library. The stories published are eclectic and is worth a look.

A long time ago, I had a subscription to Nintendo Power as well, but eventually my interest in consoles waned and I got much more into PC gaming. And while it wasn't a magazine, I did subscribe to the Lindsay's Technical Books catalog until Lindsay retired in 2013.

I don't have any other subscriptions right now. I occasionally bought Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, and Scientific American at stores if they had an article I was interested in, but as the ad-to-content ratio got higher and higher I eventually stopped. I sometimes read them at the library.

I am thinking about getting a subscription to The Backwoodsman magazine, but I tend to prefer looking through them at the store first to see if they cover stuff I'm interested in, and they don't always. Their ad-to-content ratio is still under my cut off point, though.

Another crazy magazine story...  When we were teenagers, one of my friend's dads ordered her a subscription to "Seventeen", but under his name, and he would read every issue and cross out or cut out what he thought was inappropriate before giving it to her.

Aside from a brief subscription to "Highlights", the only magazine we were subscribed to in my childhood was "Reader's Digest", a gift subscription from one of my mom's sisters.  When I was into boy bands, dad would sometimes buy me an issue or two of whatever those boy band magazines were called, and my brother "Nintendo Power" before we went on trips up North.

When my guys were little, my mom ordered them a "Highlights" subscription, but we never got it.

I used to subscribe to "Shape" when I was a milf, "National Geographic" for the kids; they liked it, but I just let it lapse.  I got a free subscription to "Better Homes and Gardens" when I bought a quilt a Walmart, but after looking at the first issue, the rest just went right in the trash.  Sometimes my parents' roommate would give the kids his old issues of "Game Informer".  That's the extent of our interaction with magazine subscriptions.

I've never personally subscribed to them, but my parents had national geographic, readers digest, and a few others. I think my dad still gets a photography magazine.

My parents got me Highlights and Zoobooks, among others, as a child, but once I hit puberty the only ones I read were car magazines (Road and track, Motor Trend, Car and Driver). To this day, they are still very good (I read them when I'm getting my tires replaced), but I can get the same info online so there's not much point in subscribing.