Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

So President Trump is a thing...

SJW is a stupid term that nobody should use unironically.

Still i'm glad Trump is against the Trans Pacific Partnership, that thing has all kinds of shady shit in it, that's one thing I disagreed with Obama on.

I also hope this means we stop being allies with Saudi Arabia, never made any sense to me for the U.S. to be allied with a country that beheads people for minor things and which does not let women drive.

There was no war "guranteed to happen" if he did not win though.

Edited by vexer6 (see edit history)

I'm with Lisk. Trump is a fuckin' ASSHOLE, an absolute piece of rude shit.

But all of what Lisk said was true.

And if you let me talk for an hour about what a bullet you just dodged with Hillary...You have no idea.

Everything Trump talked about that America didn't like, Hillary is x10 in practice. Difference is she only talks about it in private.

WELL IT WAS PRIVATE

UNTIL ASSANGE-SENPAI ARRIVED

It's so weird. I don't like Trump, but I'm actually glad he won this thing. I consider myself more of a leftist, but the left has been getting ridiculously authoritarian over the past few years. I'm really hoping this election will help the left get some perspective they've been missing for the last few years.

As for how I think Trump will be as president? No fucking clue.

Trump won't be able to accomplish a lot of the things that he promised (building the wall, banning Muslim immigration, putting Hillary in prison, etc.), but the things that he can and likely will accomplish (accelerating climate change, defunding Planned Parenthood, repealing Obamacare with no good alternative, going after LGBTQ rights, etc.) will set the country back for years to come.

The only really scary thing is the climate change denial thing. Even if he'd cancel all sorts of civil rights in the US (highly unlikely), those are things that can be restored by future rulers. Climate change isn't, though. We already passed the point of no return, global warming is not reversible now. It can be contained, though, and when the second biggest polluter in the world says that they are not going to do anything to contain it and possibly going to pollute more for the next four years, that's scary.

Democrats have never denied that climate change exist, not sure where you got that from.

Affordable Care Act helped me get medicaid, and people like Total Biscuit are in jeopardy if that law goes away, as he is suffering from cancer right now and could potentially die if he gets dropped from his coverage.

In Canada, we're absolutely terrified. The day after the election, everyone on the bus and in the office had this grim expression on their face. Your system of democracy has completely failed you, and you've elected (at least) a proto-fascist. This is someone who doesn't believe in climate change and who keeps flirting with the idea of using nuclear weapons. He's the textbook example of a demagogue, he's incredibly dangerous, and I think we're all in for some very dark times ahead.

I bet my friend one bitcoin that if Trump won, there would be a "major adverse international incident as a direct result of the Trump administration's actions" within six months of him taking office. I didn't think he would win, but I'm confident I'm going to get that bitcoin.

I get why you guys didn't want to vote for Hillary. She was obviously corrupt, and she represented everything wrong with your political status quo. The problem is, your only other option was so much worse, and now you've cut off your nose to spite your face and given the country to a demented tyrant. I mean, have any of you guys actually seen The Apprentice? I used to watch the shit out of that every week back in high school, I thought it was really funny and it was good family time to watch the funny orange man yell at people because they didn't make a good enough marketing display for the corporate guest of the week. We watched it ironically. Now that guy is running your country, and that's not good.

3 hours ago, supernerd222 said:

In Canada, we're absolutely terrified.

I'm American and I'm terrified, I'm in a state that the majority voted blue, but my little bubble around my diverse world was popped on Election night. To be honest, I didn't care for politics, I didn't want Hilary but I loathed Trump so I voted for her. He scares me on a whole nother level, mainly I think because I don't have a safety net. Out of the people he stated he had problem with, I rank two of those against me, 1 by being a person of color and two, by being a female. There is so much hate in America right now, it's downright frightening. I'm worried about my other friends who live in states that majority was red. I'm scared for them, to know that so many people actually voted for a person like this.I often wondered what would have happened if Bernie had lasted past the primaries? I know he was promising everyone the world but I think as a white male, he would have won because he was damn better then Trump. 

There is something wrong with your political status quo. The problem is, your only other option was so much worse, and now you've cut off your nose to spite your face and given the country to a demented tyrant.

That quote is what I been thinking of all damn day, I just need to take it one day at a time, I was already in the middle of applying for my study abroad program but I'm now I'm making sure my application has no mistakes, I just need to get out of this country. I can't deal with all of this hatred. Americans used to stand for something and now everyone is afraid and angry and their turning on one another. 

*Of course* not all the people who voted for Trump are viciously, actively racist or misogynist, but by ignoring Trump's own words (never mind demonization from the opposition), those voters, black, white, male, female, whatever, those voters have allied themselves with racists and misogynists. It is collusion on an unacceptable scale on topics that are really not negotiable. Yet this isn't an ideological purity test; it's not a partisan thing, it's an assault on human dignity and on the foundations of the Republic. That is NOT overstating the case. This isn't an abortion litmus test; it's not even a Democrat vs. Republican thing since Trump isn't remotely an establishment candidate (he was even a Democrat all his life, so why make a 180 now?). It's a "Hey, let's buck the system with this asshole" thing. It's nihilistic and thoughtless. It's casually dangerous, and if we call out straight white men in particular, it's only because they don't have nearly as much to fear regarding the consequences.

To top all that off, what of climate change? Seeing as I'm among the younger generations and a scientist, I am compelled to reiterate that climate change (as induced by human activity) is a thing because the data say so. See http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/. This issue is not liberal agenda, and it is most certainly not some political agenda of the scientific community (that's hardly a thing, seeing as the scientific method is designed to scrutinize the shit out of everyone, especially bullshitters), it is very real.

In order to avoid re-writing the entire body of scientific literature on climate change here, I attach a link to NASA's explanation. It's not hard to find more detailed explanations elsewhere - try finding articles in actual scientific journals (one decently accessible outlet is arXiv.org - e.g.https://arxiv.org/pdf/1001.4988v3.pdf).

I think this issue is easily the most important one younger generations face, and it is no longer acceptable to sit by and let these corrupt, effectively retarded assholes pass it off as something akin to a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese.

I urge you all to reach out to your Congressmen and Senators: http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/uscongress/a/letterscongress.htm

Trump has put himself in a corner from which he may not be able to escape. He identified an ugly underbelly of bigotry greatly exacerbated by the failure of the recovery to reach many of the workers most directly affected by the crash of 2008. The abject refusal of the then opposition party to work with the Obama administration in any way to even rebuild the US infrastructure, which would have been a huge jobs program, set up an environment in which a "pox on both your houses" candidate could win.

Like @Leitmotif I am a scientist; I am a molecular biologist but I was an undergraduate when education was affordable so I graduated with enough hours to be a triple major, biology, physics and chemistry (if I had it to do over I would have added math and philosophy to that list). Roughly 12 years ago my studies of one group of extremophile microorganisms, and the blatant disregard by local field biologists of the role of microorganisms in the environment and biogeochemical cycles led me to discover global warming and the very real danger it posed to our existence as a species, all this before I learned that Vice President Gore was interested in the problem. I want to thank @Leitmotif for providing those links. I also follow on a daily basis the Charctic web site, which shows the extent of ice coverage that can be toggled between the Arctic Ocean and surrounding water and the Antarctic land mass and surrounding Southern Ocean. While the Arctic ice coverage did not set a new low this year it is currently at record low levels for this date, and has been there for about 2 weeks, and the Antarctic ice coverage extent is for the first time in years well below the 20 year average. The web site for these charts is http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/charctic-interactive-sea-ice-graph/s Global Warming is a thing, a very real thing, a very dangerous thing that will not only affect the younger people such as @Leitmotif but also affects the older people of this group such as me.

Trump's announced policies are terrifying and if actually put in place will have very bad consequences for all of us, and his vice president Pence has a record that shows he is even worse.    

Edited by scinosensation (see edit history)
On 11/9/2016 at 11:28 AM, Lisk said:

The Big War of this century that was guaranteed to happen if he didn't win is averted, so it's all good. Let's see, what did he promise again?

- Cooperate with Russia to destroy ISIS (as opposed to bombing deserts every other week while meeping things like "Assad must go" and other bullshit) - we can rule together, you and I;

- Cooperate with anyone who wants to cooperate - does it mean that the unholy crusade against everyone who refuses to submit will finally end? If the answer is "yes", I'm all for it too;

- Stop outsourcing industrial things, creating more workplaces at home - doesn't affect me in any way, but good for his people;

- Make other NATO members actually contribute to the alliance if they want its benefits - poor, poor little tribaltic "tigers" /人 ⌒ ‿‿ ⌒ 人\

- SJW stuff - delicious, delicious SJW despair /人 ⌒ ‿‿ ⌒ 人\

And to stop outsourcing helps both of my fields: IT and infosec!

On 11/9/2016 at 3:58 PM, KozmoFox said:

I'm with Lisk. Trump is a fuckin' ASSHOLE, an absolute piece of rude shit.

But all of what Lisk said was true.

And if you let me talk for an hour about what a bullet you just dodged with Hillary...You have no idea.

Everything Trump talked about that America didn't like, Hillary is x10 in practice. Difference is she only talks about it in private.

WELL IT WAS PRIVATE

UNTIL ASSANGE-SENPAI ARRIVED

ASSANGE MAKES ME WANT TO BE GAY

JUST SO I CAN LOVE HIM

ASSSSAAAAAAAAAANGE!!!!!!!!!!!~

Remember when people said we live in a 'rape culture' (like it's not considered an abhorrent and horrid crime) as well as saying we live in a Patriarchy (despite most equality measures taking full effect), now they can see Trump trying to make an actual Patriarch rape culture* and have those Social Justice Warriors get nostalgia for early 2016! HWAHAHAHAHAA**!

On a more serious note, I initially thought it would be such a devastating blow for the New World that they'd consider Britain to take over again, but now I see that once things get unsettled in these few years, the NEXT president will be doing the required societal fixing to get back to normal. I don't think cultured people will allow things to go too wrong without overthrowing him.

(*NOTE: I seriously hope I'm wrong, I wouldn't want that on anyone)
(**I'm so glad I don't live there)

Edited by Pc Genie (see edit history)

Let's not forget something very important. Trump is the oldest person to ever be elected to a position which is so stressful that it takes years off the life of everyone who has held it. No matter what he ends up doing, ends up unable to do, or ends up being blamed for simply because it happened during his term of office, there is a very real possibility of him dying of a stress-induced heart attack, stroke, or other catastrophic medical disaster before the 2020 elections arrive.

I wonder if that wasn't Pence's plan from the very beginning...