Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Let's Talk Wrestling!

Just like my NASCAR thread, a place to discuss professional wrestling.

So, here's my first post, inspired by something I saw on youtube...  In the span of about a year, Seth Rollins injured four people during matches, including himself.  Do you think he's a danger in the ring?  Why or why not? 

I'm going with no, Rollins is not a dangerous worker.  But the buckle bomb, which injured Balor and Sting, is a dangerous move.  You can't see where you're throwing a guy when your face is buried in his crotch, and your opponent can't really see what you're throwing him into because it's behind him.  Just a really bad idea, and I haven't seen Rollins use the move since it injured Balor, at least not in a televised match, so it may be out of his arsenal now.  His own injury was just bad luck.  Cena's broken nose is the only thing I see him having a great deal of involvement in, possibly because I know the strength of knee strikes very well from my years in martial arts.  Rollins came in way too hard and fast, and while Cena did have an obligation to block it (and took blame for that), I don't think he had the time to react.  Rollins has been wrestling for ten years in various promotions, and I haven't found any other instances where he's seriously injured anyone.  So I say, no, he's not a danger in the ring, he's just had some bad luck, and used a stupid move.     

Besides the Finn Balor injury, I don't see how he is a dangerous or reckless wrestler.  About Goldberg, besides the kick that prematurely ended Bret Hart's career, I don't see Goldberg as reckless either.  About his challenge to Lesnar, I see the fight being quite long but WWE might put Lesnar winning as Goldberg already has a pinfall victory over Lesnar, albeit in one of the worst matches in WWE history.

1 hour ago, Night Rain said:

I can't stand Goldberg never liked him. his matches are always five minutes he ended. Bret Harts career with that fucked up kick of his, he's horrible.

Speaking of Goldberg and other wrestlers in his age bracket...

I hate how WWE has always kept bringing back, or hanging on to, all these old wrestlers.  They've made a career out of abusing their bodies, and are no longer physically capable of putting on the same caliber matches they did twenty (or more) years ago.  Their matches, usually against someone 20-30 years younger, just make me feel kind of sad, and sometimes make me cringe; especially the more recent Undertaker matches.  I want to remember the cool Undertaker from when I was a teenager, not the one who turns beet red from exhaustion in the ring and collapses the moment he stumbles to the back.

And, some more feelings, on Roman Reigns, and The Shield...

I deny the rumors that I'm a Roman Reigns fan, but I'm going to come to his defense.  Nowadays, Roman isn't that bad.  He's being booked properly in his feud with Rusev, his promos aren't any worse than anyone else's.  His crowd reaction is maybe 35-65, and honestly, I think a lot of the 65% are merely booing him out of habit.  I know I was.  A makeover (to include or not include a heel turn) might help, which leads me to my next topic.  A Shield reunion...no thanks.  While it would be just what both Roman and Dean (who's quickly losing fan approval) need to get back over with the fans, it would hurt Seth by pulling him back down to the midcard, and he doesn't belong there. 

8 minutes ago, johnnyc82 said:

Besides the Finn Balor injury, I don't see how he is a dangerous or reckless wrestler.  About Goldberg, besides the kick that prematurely ended Bret Hart's career, I don't see Goldberg as reckless either.  About his challenge to Lesnar, I see the fight being quite long but WWE might put Lesnar winning as Goldberg already has a pinfall victory over Lesnar, albeit in one of the worst matches in WWE history.

Honestly, I don't even want to see this rematch.  I've never been a Goldberg fan, nor a Brock Lesnar fan.  It was bad then, it's going to be worse now.

I disagree in booking him right in the rusev feud, it all feels too weird. Roman is doing heel things while they try to play him as the face. It doesn't feel right.

I welcome Goldbergs return, because he's not coming back after being worn out. When he left he still had a whole boatload of juice left in him, he's not some old saggy dude, the guy has a muay thai gym for gods sake. Goldberg is Goldberg, and after the RIDICULOUS push Lesnar has gotten, there's nobody better to bring back than him. I may have a bit of bias as a huge Goldberg fan, but everything I just said is valid. And holy hell, I love his promos. The dude feels as intimidating on the mic as he physically is. The "You're LAST" paragraph of dialogue sent shivers down my spine. The only reason the first match was bad was because they deliberately made it bad. These are 2 of the flat-out best athletes performance wise in the company, even though both are getting up there.

GOLD BERG GOLD BERG GOLD BERG GOLD BERG GOLD BERG GOLD BERG GOLD BERG

I do feel Rollins could work on his working. He does a lot of really fuckin' cool things really well, but some of the things he does just set up for botches, not just the buckle bomb. The way he performs certain moves need to be worked on, but other than that he;s good. This is actually the same with moves like the Styles clash. Styles nearly killed a jobber a few weeks back and nobody noticed...The guy chin tucked the Styles Clash. You do NOT chin tuck the Styles Clash. It has, and will, break necks. That move is a very easy career ender. Luckily, Styles has downright amazing in-ring instinct, and smoothly took the impact of the move on his hands and knees, literally reacting to the tuck in a split second mid-fall. The move looked just a little sloppy as a result, but that split second reaction saved the career and possibly life of the guy that took the move, and its that kind of in-ring instinct Rollins needs to develop considering his arsenal, and he will be good as gold.

If I may bring my own thing to the table here, where is the love for my man, whom I consider to be the most valuable talent in the company right now, The King of Strong Style, Shinsuke Nakamura?! The NXT Chamption (who is currently undefeated in WWE) has pinfall victories over both the WWE champion and the Universal champion. If WWE is willing to allude to ROH like it does to NJPW all the time, there's one hell of an inter-brand storyline to be had, in my opinion. And all three champions are made of pure talent and charisma to the point it would just be...It would be the storyline of the century. Owens, Nakamura, and Styles are 3 of the best wrestlers in the company right now, and there's great reason to mash em together for a bit for as good ol' J.R would say, one hell of a slobberknocker.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice hint of bromance between Seth and Roman to close out RAW.  I REALLY hope WWE doesn't screw that one up, but they probably will, in hopes of getting Vince's favorite over with the fans.  Every once in awhile, WWE surprises me (like I expected Sasha would retain at Hell in a Cell, but Charlotte won...silly me, I forgot to factor in nepotism) but overall, they've become so damn predictable, and this double-booking phenomenon makes it even easier to predict who wins and when (win at the RAW or Smackdown preceding the PPV, lose at the PPV and vice versa).

On 10/22/2016 at 7:10 PM, Night Rain said:

Never cared for John Cena either hate him with a passion WWE shoved him no our throat for years during the mid 2000s. I remember watching Jericho and Kurt Angle wrestling him for the world title. And always wanting them to kick his ass which didn't really work out how I wanted things to turn out like.

I never liked John Cena as a wrestler, but I admire the hell out of what he's done with Make a Wish.  It takes a lot of strength and compassion to spend time with a dying child.  I know I couldn't do it, I'd just cry, but he's done it over 500 times.  That makes him one of my favorite people, even though I don't know him.

Kurt Angle, not a fan, but gosh, did he make me laugh, especially during his feud with Edge.  Never forget when Edge handed him those pictures that had insults written on the back, I still crack up over that whenever I see it.

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone that I gave a damn about in WWE's roster either went to TNA because they weren't used properly or are still in WWE, being used improperly. Still, it's nice to pop back in and watch Jack Swagger perform now and again, and I think I might actually be starting to like John Cena again, ever since he stopped using his same-old revive/shoulderblocks/side slam/five knuckle shuffle/F-U combination.

I think Goldberg's return is just idiotic. I've already seen him kick ass to hell and back once, now WWE is just following in the footsteps of just about everyone else and everything else that has a lot of money in 2016 - making a huge nostalgia act because it's run out of ideas.

...But that's just my opinion.

16 minutes ago, 211 said:

Everyone that I gave a damn about in WWE's roster either went to TNA because they weren't used properly or are still in WWE, being used improperly. Still, it's nice to pop back in and watch Jack Swagger perform now and again, and I think I might actually be starting to like John Cena again, ever since he stopped using his same-old revive/shoulderblocks/side slam/five knuckle shuffle/F-U combination.

I think Goldberg's return is just idiotic. I've already seen him kick ass to hell and back once, now WWE is just following in the footsteps of just about everyone else and everything else that has a lot of money in 2016 - making a huge nostalgia act because it's run out of ideas.

...But that's just my opinion.

Oh no, you're totally right.  But it's not that they've run out of ideas...what they've got is overall bad ideas.  It's weird how they've seemingly dropped a lot of good feuds that could have led to great matches over the years in exchange for, well, the same old shit. 

Goldberg was to bring in viewers, ratings, that kind of stuff.  People want to see Goldberg.

12 minutes ago, LucyVersion2.0 said:

Oh no, you're totally right.  But it's not that they've run out of ideas...what they've got is overall bad ideas.  It's weird how they've seemingly dropped a lot of good feuds that could have led to great matches over the years in exchange for, well, the same old shit. 

Goldberg was to bring in viewers, ratings, that kind of stuff.  People want to see Goldberg.

Yes, that describes it better. Especially back in the Justin Gabriel days, his feuds were the recipe for a wildfire that somehow never got spread, unless he's come back in recent history for some reason.

People definitely want to see Goldberg. I suppose it's a nice idea, good to see how Goldberg and Lesnar have changed over the years, but I'll be more excited when he takes on someone new, maybe someone with a cocky attitude and a few surprises up his sleeve...

• 3 weeks later...

Just an odd question about a popular superstar:

What the hell is up with Enzo Amore, poop, farts, and diapers?  When he takes his bibs down, the result looks like a diaper, and sometimes has a poop on the back.  His ring attire appears to be cut to look like he's wearing a diaper, and at times, I believe he actually is wearing a diaper beneath, due to bulges I see when he's being pinned or in other positions.  He's mentioned shit in a few of his promos.  Doody, who loves Enzo, insisted we watch his episode of "Ride Along" on the network, and he talked a lot about farts between pointing out landmarks in his old stomping ground.  Anyone have any insight into this?  Is it some part of his gimmick meant to appeal to kids, because "poop and farts are funny"?  Is he really just into poop and diapers?  Does he actually need to wear them for some medical reason?

17 hours ago, LucyVersion2.0 said:

Just an odd question about a popular superstar:

What the hell is up with Enzo Amore, poop, farts, and diapers?  When he takes his bibs down, the result looks like a diaper, and sometimes has a poop on the back.  His ring attire appears to be cut to look like he's wearing a diaper, and at times, I believe he actually is wearing a diaper beneath, due to bulges I see when he's being pinned or in other positions.  He's mentioned shit in a few of his promos.  Doody, who loves Enzo, insisted we watch his episode of "Ride Along" on the network, and he talked a lot about farts between pointing out landmarks in his old stomping ground.  Anyone have any insight into this?  Is it some part of his gimmick meant to appeal to kids, because "poop and farts are funny"?  Is he really just into poop and diapers?  Does he actually need to wear them for some medical reason?

You gotta understand how the mind of Vince McMahon works, he's a 73 year old 6 year old, who thinks "sparklecrotch" is hilarious, and "sellout sufferin succotash" is an actual insult (Roman Reigns wink), wouldn't surprise me if he came up with those fart jokes thinking it'll get over with the crowd...

1 hour ago, GreenChile said:

You gotta understand how the mind of Vince McMahon works, he's a 73 year old 6 year old, who thinks "sparklecrotch" is hilarious, and "sellout sufferin succotash" is an actual insult (Roman Reigns wink), wouldn't surprise me if he came up with those fart jokes thinking it'll get over with the crowd...

Now that I remember, Vince does think farts are hilarious, a few people have mentioned it in shoot interviews over the years.  And it wouldn't be the first time he's stuck some unfortunate superstar with that as part of their gimmick, poor Natalya!  So yeah, I agree it's something Vince, who's completely out of touch, forced upon him, even though it makes no sense to have done so; Enzo never needed that to get over with to get over with the young fans Vince is so concerned about. 

*I* laughed at "sparklecrotch", because I hate seeing men wear that kind of ring attire, I call them "panties", and when there's a match between two (or more) guys wearing them, I call it a panty match.  Those panties aren't like the ones Hulk or Macho Man or Greg Valentine wore back in the day; most of the time, they're skimpy as hell, and some of them are designed to actually look like underwear.  I'd be happy if every guy came to the ring dressed like Bray Wyatt and Luke Harper, no chance we'll ever get a glimpse of their junk, thank goodness.

Another thing that shocked me when I made a return to watching wrestling is in the women's side of things.  When I stopped watching, they all had huge fake boobs and did very little actual wresting.  Now they do actual wrestling, thank goodness, I couldn't bear the silliness of bikini contests, lingerie pillowfights, and schoolgirl battle royals.  But, it seems that fake hair has replaced fake boobs as the women's favorite accessory.  Extensions and hair hats galore in that locker room, outnumbering the fake boobs, but it doesn't look any less stupid than fake boobs, and has led to most of them fighting with their fake hair hanging in their faces, and a few times, Sasha's had to readjust her hair hat during a match.  Of course hair hats and extensions are more popular than ever with girls and women in general, but I don't get it.  If I want longer hair, I grow it out.  If I want to put colored highlights in, or dye everything a crazy color, I do it, I don't fake it with synthetic hair.

8 hours ago, LucyVersion2.0 said:

Another thing that shocked me when I made a return to watching wrestling is in the women's side of things.  When I stopped watching, they all had huge fake boobs and did very little actual wresting.  Now they do actual wrestling, thank goodness, I couldn't bear the silliness of bikini contests, lingerie pillowfights, and schoolgirl battle royals.  But, it seems that fake hair has replaced fake boobs as the women's favorite accessory.  Extensions and hair hats galore in that locker room, outnumbering the fake boobs, but it doesn't look any less stupid than fake boobs, and has led to most of them fighting with their fake hair hanging in their faces, and a few times, Sasha's had to readjust her hair hat during a match.  Of course hair hats and extensions are more popular than ever with girls and women in general, but I don't get it.  If I want longer hair, I grow it out.  If I want to put colored highlights in, or dye everything a crazy color, I do it, I don't fake it with synthetic hair.

Yeah the John Funkman Laurinitis "People Power" era, where you didn't have to know how to wrestle, just look cute and say dumb shit. The hair thing I never really noticed though, I'm gonna have to pay more attention to Banks hair (if I don't fall asleep in hour 8 of Raw). Sasha Banks hair I never minded because it fits her, same with Lynch, but back in the day there were more than a few you'd want to see someone get it all pulled out just for the hell of it...