Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Cloth diapers?

If you have your own washer and dryer they are fun. You want to wash them within a day or two after wetting so it takes some planning. You can put them in the wash with you other stuff or if you are using them regularly keep a diaper pail going.

For a first timer I would go with contours and plastic pants. They are the easiest to get to fit and usually work better than all in ones.

• 4 months later...

I was raised in cloth diapers - here in the UK that are made of "Terry Towelling".  We didn't use fitted ones - just square ones folded and pinned.  I still don't feel I am properly diapered unless I am in a comfy cloth nappy. The need to wash and dry and have  a diaper pail makes it inconvenient as well as meaning everyone in the house knows there is a wetter around.

When I was a boy plastic pants were just coming on the market and it was not easy to get "baby pants", so for older kids in diapers it was still "don't let him sit on the furniture" and pretty constant diaper checks to see if a change was needed.

Later on I "graduated" to trainer pants that were really just diapers in disguise, Some had plastic barriers that were supposed to stop pee leaking into your shorts - but all they did was divert leakage to the legs leaving the crotch area dry.  I don't think that fooled anyone into thinking I wasn't wet with my own pee.

No wonder in those days every mum seemed intent on getting their kids "dry and clean" at the earliest opportunity.  There was a lot of rivalry in family's about this and those of us who didn't make the grade were given a hard time in one way, but apart from the criticism and snide comments from aunties there was also freedom - "let him pee anywhere or he will do it in his pants and I couldn't cope if he had to go back into nappies".

I didn't even have ot ak for permission to take a leak over a drain cover in the street - even in busy places.  One day when I was quite big I did this and a woman complained to my dad who just told her "He is only just out of nappies,but if you don't like it I'll tell him not to and you can wash his shorts and undies after he wets himself".

Disposables are not only very much more convenient but do give incontinent people an easier time - I simply couldn't lead a busy life if I had to rely on cloth diapers - but I do miss them!

I was in cloth diapers all the time until I was 10 yrs old.. After that I remember being in disposables during the day during for school and cloth the rest of the time. Slowly I was in the disposables more and the cloth less. One thing I remember about cloth diapers is that I had a lot more rashes when in cloth diapers. A few years ago I thought I would try cloth diapers again and bought a bunch. They were not cheep. I spent over $300. on them. Ended up finding the same thing. I was getting a lot more rashes. I also found that in less than a year, they were falling apart in the wash.. I think its from the ammonia in the urine that breaks down the cloth. After a year they were all in the garbage. Since then it disposables 100%. The thought of cloth diapers and plastic pants is always nice but the reality is that it is just not worth it. I do like wearing plastic pants over disposables. More of a nostalgic thing than a piratical thing.

• 2 months later...

Cloth diapers ARE the original diaper and are the most versatile. You can get thin daytime diapers or all the way up to thick night time prefolds. You can find them at adultclothdiaper.com.

Yes, the original cost is more but they will last for many washings. On the web you will also find different ways to put them on.  And don't forget the larger style diaper pins, very necessary to keep them up. I wear panties over my diaper to keep it in place because even before wetting they have a tendency to loosen and sag.