SUPPORT MOBILE AGAIN

8 posts in this topic

I'm tired of not being able to watch vids on my IPad mini >:( though OmoOrg was better this way, some of us people can't afford a better computer!!

-6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure what you mean by support mobile "again," OmoOrg's old mobile template was terrible and lacked most of the desktop sites functionality.

OmoOrg only gained real mobile compatibility with the new responsive template system, and this would have no impact on your ability to watch videos from the site on your iPhone regardless.

If you want help, you're going to have to provide some information about your actual issue.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I may be able to shed some light on the issue, as it is also something I am dealing with at HD Wetting.  As I understand, some people with iOS devices are unable to play h.264 encoded MP4 files.

Around the same time the forum's design was updated, Apple released a security update for iOS devices.  Among the changes in this update, were stricter specifications for which h.264 encoded files an iOS device could play, these specs are different depending on which device you have.  For example, on the iPod Touch, the bit rate must be below 1500 Kbps and be encoded using a main 3.1 level profile.  While the iPhone 4 requires the video have an exact resolution of 640 by 360, a bit rate below 900Kbps, and 4.1 level encoding.  The iPhone 5 is different, so even if you had an MP4 file that would work on one, it would not work on the other.  iPads now require AAC - LS audio at 160 bits, but other iDevices require plain old AAC at no more than 128 bits.  It just depends on the device.

It used to be, before this update, that iOS devices had a much wider range of playback capabilities.  If a video would play on your iPhone 4, it would probably also play on your iPhone 5 and your iPad.  Supposedly there were some stability issues with some MP4 files, so by enforcing stricter specifications, videos are supposed to be more reliable- at least if you can get them to play in the first place.

That this update happened at the same time the forum changed is purely coincidental.  I very much doubt that anything in the forum design has any impact on video files you download.  The files should be completely untouched, the same binary data as before the change.  Nothing Kirito does with the forum is likely going to be capable of restoring functionality to iOS devices that Apple removed.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an IOS thing. You can't download and watch the videos on either safari or chrome. I'm assuming that this is an iOS issue and not a site issue as the rest of the site works great.  

You can use other, non-traditional browsing apps, such as Goodreader to do the download, but it's video playback is balls. Luckily from Goodread you can send the videos to VLC, upload to the cloud, etc. 

So, for iOS, use good reader (or some other app that has robust file download abilities) and then send the files to VLC. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@put name here TV guy's response is dead on and the TL;DR if you didn't understand is that this isn't an omorashi.org problem it's an apple problem. Try an android next time, they work with earbuds too! ;D

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@theHindrew iOs devices couldn't download in the first place, but I didn't mind watching vids once, but now, I can't watch vids at all, it's doing the same thing as it did when I tried to watch my third video on the older version of OmoOrg: the video just goes grey, and stays grey, and the play button was unresponsive.

 

@FallingDusk thanks for the inspiration :) my family isn't rich, but yet isn't poor, I'll be stuck with my IPad till I can afford a new tablet, I'm a gamer, so I'm planning on getting some type of ACER gaming tablet that costs $1,000, I can't tell if this would be considered an android tablet, but either way I use my IPad as my primary mobile gaming console, with my 3ds being my backup, but when I found out it was just another IPad 2, I knew I'm not going back to Apple again, but what I'm going for Primarily is a gaming laptop, so it will work A LOT better on OmoOrg, thanks, anyways

 

On 9/5/2016 at 0:02 AM, TVGuy said:

I think I may be able to shed some light on the issue, as it is also something I am dealing with at HD Wetting.  As I understand, some people with iOS devices are unable to play h.264 encoded MP4 files.

Around the same time the forum's design was updated, Apple released a security update for iOS devices.  Among the changes in this update, were stricter specifications for which h.264 encoded files an iOS device could play, these specs are different depending on which device you have.  For example, on the iPod Touch, the bit rate must be below 1500 Kbps and be encoded using a main 3.1 level profile.  While the iPhone 4 requires the video have an exact resolution of 640 by 360, a bit rate below 900Kbps, and 4.1 level encoding.  The iPhone 5 is different, so even if you had an MP4 file that would work on one, it would not work on the other.  iPads now require AAC - LS audio at 160 bits, but other iDevices require plain old AAC at no more than 128 bits.  It just depends on the device.

It used to be, before this update, that iOS devices had a much wider range of playback capabilities.  If a video would play on your iPhone 4, it would probably also play on your iPhone 5 and your iPad.  Supposedly there were some stability issues with some MP4 files, so by enforcing stricter specifications, videos are supposed to be more reliable- at least if you can get them to play in the first place.

That this update happened at the same time the forum changed is purely coincidental.  I very much doubt that anything in the forum design has any impact on video files you download.  The files should be completely untouched, the same binary data as before the change.  Nothing Kirito does with the forum is likely going to be capable of restoring functionality to iOS devices that Apple removed.

"I think I've got it, but just in case... Tell me the whole thing over again, I wasn't listening"

- some guy on the lego movie

 

trololo

 

On 9/4/2016 at 9:25 PM, Kirito said:

I'm not sure what you mean by support mobile "again," OmoOrg's old mobile template was terrible and lacked most of the desktop sites functionality.

OmoOrg only gained real mobile compatibility with the new responsive template system, and this would have no impact on your ability to watch videos from the site on your iPhone regardless.

If you want help, you're going to have to provide some information about your actual issue.

As stated by hindrew, it likely an iOs thing, so I'm going won't be on OmoOrg much until I can get better devices, my best one's a console... Not a PC

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is an iOS issue, then why do sites like Youtube and Tumblr still function as before?

I think the issue lies in the Mime-type omo.org uses to serve the video files. It seems to be of the wrong type (octetstream) instead of the correct video one. If this is the case, a fix would be easily implemented and won't hurt the other webclients people use.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2016 at 7:56 AM, Wetrnl said:

If it is an iOS issue, then why do sites like Youtube and Tumblr still function as before?

Because OmoOrg serves downloads of videos in their original format, it doesn't re-encode videos for streaming.

It's not a mimetype issue. If your device can't play the downloaded file, it won't likely be able to play it in your devices web browser either.

Octetstream is the correct mimetype - it tells your client too download the file, not try and play it in-browser, which is the intended behavior.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.